The Student Room Group

Islamist mayor of Tower Hamlets - corruption allegations

An excellent documentary on Panorama about the Islamist and allegedly corrupt mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04044km/Panorama_The_Mayor_and_Our_Money/

I think the council should be taken into administration by the Central Government, Rahman has turned Tower Hamlets into a Sharia fiefdom
Sounds interesting. I'll give it a watch while I'm having my tea.
Third world immigration brings third world politics. Who would have guessed?
Reply 3
The allegations against him are pretty stunning, surprised it has taken this program for it to be taken seriously. Also stunned at Ken Livingstones reply to this on the Daily politics a few days back.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Funny that Pickles was moaning in the programme given that the abolition of the Standards Board to whom other councillors could have complained about Rahman was under his watch as Secretary of State.
Reply 5
Why has the BBC singled him out for a panorama investigation? Corruption amongst MP's/mayors/etc is rife so why is Lutfur Rahman being targeted?

He invites former soldiers for tea, funds Jewish synagogues and he is STILL being called an Islamist? lololol
Reply 6
Original post by MostUncivilised
Rahman has turned Tower Hamlets into a Sharia fiefdom

How? Also please explain why he is an ''Islamist''?
Original post by GPODT

Did you watch the documentary? He personally transferred millions of funding to Bengali causes and most of the renovation money has gone to mosques. One of the mosques being renovated invited a disgusting extremist cleric who advocates driving all Jews and Christians from Arabia. He is a corrupt Islamist stooge who is using a disproportionate amount of taxpayer money on Islamic causes.
Reply 8
Original post by Algorithm69
Did you watch the documentary? He personally transferred millions of funding to Bengali causes and most of the renovation money has gone to mosques. One of the mosques being renovated invited a disgusting extremist cleric who advocates driving all Jews and Christians from Arabia. He is a corrupt Islamist stooge who is using a disproportionate amount of taxpayer money on Islamic causes.

Yeah I've just finished watching it. The narrator said that it was mostly Muslim organisations who applied for the funding so of course a large percentage of the money does eventually go to mosques. I think people are forgetting that 35% of the Tower Hamlet's population is Muslim and 21% is of Bengali origin so of course he will want to allocate more funding to projects that are in the interests of the two. The narrator also mentioned that the Somali community received a lot of funding which again is understandable since they make up the second largest ethnic minority (or should I say majority?) in Tower Hamlets. If a Jewish mayor allocated more funding to Jewish religious groups or Jewish interests in an area with a high Jewish population (e.g. Golders Green) I'd completely understand.

But yeah I don't understand how him trying to buy the votes of different communities is akin to him implementing Shariah (which is what the OP suggested) lol.
Reply 9
He's a lying criminal and should be locked up.
They wouldn't let a Neo-Nazi be a mayor, so why would they let someone who belongs to a misogyistic, homophobic, xenophobic, bigoted ideology that worships a mass murdering, megalomaniac, paedophilic warlord?
Original post by Greenlaner
Third world immigration brings third world politics. Who would have guessed?

This.
Reply 12
Original post by GPODT

its true there was no reason sut to single out rahman and tower hamlets on corruption, there were plenty of other such corrpution taken place recently such as the postal vote rigging in birmingham areas and also in the north such as Mohammed bashir of bradford - coincidentlyally these were also organised by muslim politicians too so i guess the 'islamist' tag can still e examined in regards to corruption.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending