The Student Room Group

[Discussion] AQA GCE Philosophy Unit 1&2

Mon 12 May - Unit 1 - 50% AS and 25% of A Level
Friday 16 May - Unit 2 - 50% AS and 25% of A Level

Well, what to type. There is one compulsory question in Unit 1.

Unit 1

Why Kant I Lieb tniz in the exam---> Reason and Experience
Why Should I be Governed?
Why Should I be Moral?
The Idea of God
Persons

Unit 2
Knowledge of the External World
Tolerance
The Value of Art
God and the World
Free Will and Determinism

Essential Resources: (Feel free to post your resources)
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/philosophy/a-level/philosophy-2170
http://www.alevelphilosophy.com/ <-- 30 mark question tips
http://www.routledge.com/cw/alevelphilosophy/s2/as/
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Hey, nice resources, which topics are you doing?

I'm in A2 Philosophy but redoing Unit 2 of AS: - 1) Knowledge of the External World and Free Will and Determinism

safe to say I just can't understand the questions and what I should write, however I do know the theories and concepts.
Reply 3
Original post by cymlawrence

I'm in A2 Philosophy but redoing Unit 2 of AS: - 1) Knowledge of the External World and Free Will and Determinism

safe to say I just can't understand the questions and what I should write, however I do know the theories and concepts.

Unit 1:
Reason and Experience
Morality

Unit 2:
Value of Art
Tolerance
Reply 4
Original post by cymlawrence

Hiya, I'm in the same boat as you! I really need an A overall, so I'm redoing phil2 (I was caught out by the religious predestination question last year). I'm finding it's so much to go over as well as A2.. I'm terrified for the exams :/ If you'd like to talk over any of the topics I'd be cool with that :smile: What are you doing for 3 and 4? I'm doing Mind, Religion and Descartes' Meditations.
Reply 5
Any ideas as to what questions could come up tomorrow for "Reason and Experience" and "Idea of God"?
Reply 6
Original post by khushboo123
Any ideas as to what questions could come up tomorrow for "Reason and Experience" and "Idea of God"?

Conceptual schemes, highly likely would come up. 4 years hasn't come up.
Reply 7
Original post by Hody421
Conceptual schemes, highly likely would come up. 4 years hasn't come up.

Hi guys,

How did you find the exam?

Reason and Experience:
a) two reasons to hold the tabula rasa hypothesis
b) "All our concepts are ultimately derived from sense experience" Discuss.

Persons:
a) two reasons to distinguish human from being a person
b) discuss why a machine could be a person.

I ran out of time and didnt get to do my second part b at alll...

Other than that, I thought the questions were good, did you take R+E part b 'concepts' to mean 'knowledge'
Reply 8
Original post by kelsey.phillips
Hi guys,

Reason and Experience:

Persons:

Other than that, I thought the questions were good, did you take R+E part b 'concepts' to mean 'knowledge'

http://redandblackrainbows.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/3-0-phil1-reason-and-experience-handbook.pdf
Page no.17-18

Concepts are ideas but I don't think they are knowledge because knowledge = justified,true etc.?
Reply 9
Original post by Hody421
http://redandblackrainbows.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/3-0-phil1-reason-and-experience-handbook.pdf
Page no.17-18

Concepts are ideas but I don't think they are knowledge because knowledge = justified,true etc.?

Your handbook says concepts are essentially "understandings" which is basically what I wrote about..

Do you have a similar handbook for PHIL3?

Reply 10
Your handbook says concepts are essentially "understandings" which is basically what I wrote about..

Do you have a similar handbook for PHIL3?

It was alright, the most unexpected question came up as a)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2654599

the thread above is more active
Reply 11
Hi guys,

Reason and Experience:

Persons:

I did R&E and Idea of God. The Idea of God was really good!! For reason and exp i kinda got confused on 30 marker coz i didn't realise concepts and ideas was the same thing :/

but I wrote about Locke, Hume, criticisms of Hume, bit of Kant and veined marble eg..

what kind of things did you include?
Reply 12
I did R&E and Idea of God. The Idea of God was really good!! For reason and exp i kinda got confused on 30 marker coz i didn't realise concepts and ideas was the same thing :/

but I wrote about Locke, Hume, criticisms of Hume, bit of Kant and veined marble eg..

what kind of things did you include?

Im kind of the same on R+E since I thought concepts were knowledge or 'understandings'... despite what everyone is saying I dont think concepts are quite ideas!!
Reply 13
Im kind of the same on R+E since I thought concepts were knowledge or 'understandings'... despite what everyone is saying I dont think concepts are quite ideas!!

I agree - but at around 15 minutes into this essay, I realized it was inconceivable that concepts could mean knowledge... just a priori intuition, I don't know how... after I realized this, I wrote about Plato's anamnesis, Kant's 'spectacles' - ship sailing down etc. but I didn't quite make it clear...

I discussed simple and complex concepts - this is where I understood it wasn't knowledge. Will probably get higher marks on this.

Overall, R+E = I think I got 2+11+6...
Reply 14

My teacher said that empiricism, conceptual schemes and rationalism should all be right but we had to mention at least a bit of Locke and Hume.

Any ideas for Phil 2 Aesthetics and God and the world?
Reply 15
OK thanks, I think I did that!

Sorry I didn't do those module areas!

np! ohh k.. never mind then. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending