The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Feel as if Watford can get the 3 points off burnley tomorrow, their weakest side this year is coming to VR tomorrow. However, I fear that Stuart Attwell lad, returning to VR for the first time since the 'ghost goal' incident in 2008 against Reading. He's probably got a few goals in him tomorrow.

Nonetheless, can't wait for this season to end. Have a proper transfer window, hopefully bring Vydra back, I can see Deeney going to a promoted team this year, give Sannino a full preseason to get them fit and storm the league next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brocklehurst95
I reckon Northampton will stay up this year. I saw them at Fleetwood in February (when they seemed dead and buried) and played pretty well despite losing 2-0. They've pulled a few points back and I reckon they'll make it.

I'll brace myself for the wrath of the Midlander now...

To be fair I don't have any ill feeling towards Northampton fans-but their chairman who happily accepted a few quid to help take a club away from its fans...
Original post by Sam Jackson
not great to be honest, but it was never likely that he was going to be anywhere near s good as his former self. He scored 5 earlier in the season and we thought he was going to do really well this season but then didn't score again until last week. He can be a very useful impact sub though with his knowledge of the game, shame he doesn't have the legs for it anymore.

Such a waste of talent he was. £1.4m we never really got any value for and his attitude was awful-such a lazy player who overestimated his ability. What were we thinking letting Chris Coleman dictate our transfer policy...
Wow, can't believe Wrexham have gone from FA Trophy winners and being in the play offs for the last three years to being 17th with 5 games left. Need a big turnaround next year, we're better than this.
Original post by Midlander
To be fair I don't have any ill feeling towards Northampton fans-but their chairman who happily accepted a few quid to help take a club away from its fans...

Can you really blame their chairman though? It's unlikely that he would just allow Coventry to play there for free.

Remember other teams have gone through enforced ground changes too, Darlington now play at Bishop Auckland instead of their old 25000 seater ground. Also Northwich Victoria play at Flixton now. Northwich used to get 700/800 fans in the Conference North. Lancaster City (my 2nd team) played there on Tuesday and the official attendance was 95. Yes it's a shame but without changing grounds it's unlikely these teams would exist anymore.
Can you really blame their chairman though? It's unlikely that he would just allow Coventry to play there for free.

Remember other teams have gone through enforced ground changes too, Darlington now play at Bishop Auckland instead of their old 25000 seater ground. Also Northwich Victoria play at Flixton now. Northwich used to get 700/800 fans in the Conference North. Lancaster City (my 2nd team) played there on Tuesday and the official attendance was 95. Yes it's a shame but without changing grounds it's unlikely these teams would exist anymore.

My complaint is not at the cost but that he allowed us to groundshare at all. I don't know the background to all the clubs you mention but I would wager that they had to leave due to financial or other difficulties. We were voluntarily withdrawn from the Ricoh-there is a big difference.

It is a complicated tale so I won't go too much into detail but the salient point is that the club left Coventry entirely of its own accord in an attempt to distress the company which runs the Ricoh.
Original post by Superunknown17
Wow, can't believe Wrexham have gone from FA Trophy winners and being in the play offs for the last three years to being 17th with 5 games left. Need a big turnaround next year, we're better than this.

Didn't they get 98 points or some ridiculous total like that one year, and still fail to get promoted? The Conference really needs a third promotion place, it's effectively League Three.
Original post by sr90
Didn't they get 98 points or some ridiculous total like that one year, and still fail to get promoted? The Conference really needs a third promotion place, it's effectively League Three.

Agree with that, the standard has gone up in recent years and the League should recognise this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The chairman could have told SISU to do one and stop trying to move a team out of it's ground. He's hardly the major culprit for the farce that Coventry find themselves in, but he, like the FL, FA and several others, are at least complicit.

In fairness, they (like Leicester, Derby, Middlesbrough and several others) changed grounds due to capacities - Coventry were dragged out of theirs as the pawn in a stand-off between the two sets of owners. It's more comparable to MK Dons if any club going - being dragged out of their city due to the owners financial interests rather than for the good of the club.
Reply 829
Original post by sr90

Nah, if it kept L*ton out of the FL for many years, it's a working system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The chairman could have told SISU to do one and stop trying to move a team out of it's ground. He's hardly the major culprit for the farce that Coventry find themselves in, but he, like the FL, FA and several others, are at least complicit.

In fairness, they (like Leicester, Derby, Middlesbrough and several others) changed grounds due to capacities - Coventry were dragged out of theirs as the pawn in a stand-off between the two sets of owners. It's more comparable to MK Dons if any club going - being dragged out of their city due to the owners financial interests rather than for the good of the club.

Pretty much what happened, although Winkelman had no intention of returning Wimbledon. A lot of people looking at this think it to be a case of a club being evicted over high rent-which is just not the case. As I said though very complicated and to explain the ins and outs would take pages!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90

Yeah 98 and I think Fleetwood got 103, unbelievable. Any other season that would have got us promoted.
Original post by CraigWM
Nah, if it kept L*ton out of the FL for many years, it's a working system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing's stopping them this year.
Cellino has won his appeal.

I give it 9 months before Leeds are in turmoil off the pitch once again.
Original post by sr90
Cellino has won his appeal.

I give it 9 months before Leeds are in turmoil off the pitch once again.

Spineless Football League, absolutely spineless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
14 Years ago today. Christopher Loftus & Kevin Speight.

We will never forget.
And there it is. 10 seasons away but we're promoted. 10 more points for the title now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joe Mattock making a mistake leading to a Leicester goal is one of the most enjoyable sights ever, for a supposed Leicester born and bred player, a city fan he treated us with incredible disrespect...

I was pissed when he went WBA to be perfectly honest, I think he citied something about trying to have the same success as Richard Stearman who went to Wolves. We have sold some decent players tbh who for whatever reason have left or been shown the door from Matty Fryatt, Matt Mills to Ben Marshall and Matty Waghorn more recently.

Anyway we are promoted, now to get there as champions!!! :colone::biggrin:
Reply 838
And there it is. 10 seasons away but we're promoted. 10 more points for the title now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, enjoy the PL:smile:
Lesta promoted and only a matter of time before they clinch the title along with Wolves. This season just keeps getting better...

Quick Reply

Latest