The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erin325
If you don't mind me asking what did you guys get an offer with (i.e. gcse profile and as grades)? thanks :smile:

i received a conditional offer of achieving an A in chemistry as im a resit candidate with AAB.

GCSEs: 3A* 6A 2B
UKCAT: 732.5

just shows you don't need to a smartass to get into medicine :biggrin:
Reply 1601
just firmed liverpool for med, unconditional offer, see you guys in september!

…and relief!
Reply 1602
Does anyone have any idea about the leniency with grades for Liverpool eg. The likelihood of still being accepted if you get AAB as opposed to AAA. I basically have 2 med offers (both AAA) and a kings biomed offer (AAB) and I don't know what to firm and insure. I've always thought though that Liverpool would be more lenient than others as they are more personality orientated?
Original post by erin325
If you don't mind me asking what did you guys get an offer with (i.e. gcse profile and as grades)? thanks :smile:

8.5 A*s GCSE
4As AS (Bio, Chem, French, English Language)

Predicted: A*A*A (English bio chem respectively)

Posted from TSR Mobile
9A*'s and 2A's for GCSE

AAAB in AS (french bio physics chem respectively)

Predicted A*A*A (french bio chem respectively)

So happy they saw a doctor in me! time to just get those grades, how is everyone coping with the 2 units/no Jan thing anyone have any advice?

I'm personally extremely scared I'll get AAB with a B in chem </3
:'( I'll be crushed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rooroo96
9A*'s and 2A's for GCSE

AAAB in AS (french bio physics chem respectively)

Predicted A*A*A (french bio chem respectively)

So happy they saw a doctor in me! time to just get those grades, how is everyone coping with the 2 units/no Jan thing anyone have any advice?

I'm personally extremely scared I'll get AAB with a B in chem </3
:'( I'll be crushed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm in exactly the same position I think I'm going to end up with the B in chemistry really worried :/ any advice and tips from anyone would be great on how to get an A in chemistry pls??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aishaahmed96
Hey I'm in exactly the same position I think I'm going to end up with the B in chemistry really worried :/ any advice and tips from anyone would be great on how to get an A in chemistry pls??

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exam board?
Hey :smile:
For those currently in year 1 or above at Liverpool, what books are a must have? I'm aware that some of the books are available for borrowing from the library but I prefer having my own copy. Can you recommend any websites? Also, I'm not quite sure how much maintenance loan I need; how much do you usually spend per week?
Cheers :smile:
Original post by captain J
What exam board?

I'm aqa :frown: resitting unit 1 which should hopefully be easy now and two units just seems too much, luckily in can get C's in my other 2 subjects atA2 and still get A's overall so really just gotta focus on chem (shame I can't go for the a*'s in the others though :'()
Original post by captain J
What exam board?

Aqa... I'm sitting on a high B at the moment from AS although I was in hospital during the exam period so perhaps I could have done better but even so A2 is much harder :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm aqa :frown: resitting unit 1 which should hopefully be easy now and two units just seems too much, luckily in can get C's in my other 2 subjects atA2 and still get A's overall so really just gotta focus on chem (shame I can't go for the a*'s in the others though :'()

Yh I'm not worried bout my other subjects either jus chemistry :/ ill be happy if I jus about get an A Neva mind A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aishaahmed96
Yh I'm not worried bout my other subjects either jus chemistry :/ ill be happy if I jus about get an A Neva mind A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep same boat, so how are you studying at the minute and juggling it all?

Especially the transition metals stiff at the end of unit 5?

My biggest problem is I just straight up forget stuff, I'm not used to having to retain a year's worth of knowledge, I've never had to and here I am for the hardest exams I've ever sat and we have to :O

3 letters will define everything :frown: kinda scary
Yep same boat, so how are you studying at the minute and juggling it all?

Especially the transition metals stiff at the end of unit 5?

My biggest problem is I just straight up forget stuff, I'm not used to having to retain a year's worth of knowledge, I've never had to and here I am for the hardest exams I've ever sat and we have to :O

3 letters will define everything :frown: kinda scary

Omg transition metals is the worst topic and I know I'm not the only one who thinks dat nearly everyone I know says that transition metals is so hard :/ tbh wat I'm doing at the minute is using these Easter hols to full on get thru all the stuff I cnt do and wil do lots of practice questions and past papers and then after Easter go over the stuff I can do :smile: how about u ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are the crown place rooms going to be tiny since they're the cheapest? Also, if you get a double bed, is the room the same size as a single bed ie you'll end up with less floor space in a double?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1614
Original post by TheYorkist
For those currently in year 1 or above at Liverpool, what books are a must have? I'm aware that some of the books are available for borrowing from the library but I prefer having my own copy. Can you recommend any websites? Also, I'm not quite sure how much maintenance loan I need; how much do you usually spend per week?

The curriculum is changing majorly for years 1 and 3 next year so no one will be able to really give you an idea as no one will have gone through it yet. Don't buy anything until you get here though they will brief you on which textbooks they recommend when you get here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1615
Original post by TheYorkist

Original post by Kaylain
The curriculum is changing majorly for years 1 and 3 next year so no one will be able to really give you an idea as no one will have gone through it yet. Don't buy anything until you get here though they will brief you on which textbooks they recommend when you get here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please see the OP. Whilst Kaylain speaks rationally, the books one uses to study are unlikely to change (after all, the content for medicine is the same; only the methods in learning it will be slightly different). You will find the unofficial book list in the OP.
Original post by Kaylain

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well actually Years 2 & 4 are remaining the same for the next 12 months, only Year 1 and 3 are changing in September.
Reply 1617
Is anyone else who was also interviewed on Monday 17th of Feb going to firm Liverpool?
Reply 1618
Does anyone know in what way the course is changing? Will we be taught anatomy and physiology in lectures?
Reply 1619
Original post by rkh
Does anyone know in what way the course is changing? Will we be taught anatomy and physiology in lectures?

As above, anatomy and physiology is already taught at Liverpool.

The changes involve an increase in the proportion of anatomy and physiology teaching as well as more access and better tutorship in HARC (where there are prosection specimens). This was initially trialled 3 years ago when I was in 2nd year and I must say, it was actually well worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending