The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
An important win for Blues today, well done to Leicester, another promotion for Super Kev :smile:
Original post by Hooby
An important win for Blues today, well done to Leicester, another promotion for Super Kev :smile:

Pity most of the other results didn't go our way!!

So so so happy we won though :biggrin:
Almost there... :biggrin:
Reply 843
david nugent back in the prem. Doesn't bode well
Thank god the independent QC defeated the dogs of The Football League. This decision has arguably saved Leeds United from another spell in administration. Cellino should bring some much needed stability. With a proven track record in football and a genuine passion for the game Leeds should be in a far better position.
Original post by Genocidal
Thank god the independent QC defeated the dogs of The Football League. This decision has arguably saved Leeds United from another spell in administration. Cellino should bring some much needed stability. With a proven track record in football and a genuine passion for the game Leeds should be in a far better position.

Who cares about being found guilty of fraud, we'll just let anyone own a football club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^ This. If someone who wanted to buy Brentford failed the fit and proper person test I wouldn't want them anywhere near my club regardless of how much money they had to offer us.

Brentford won again today, and hopefully we've turned around our rough patch. Our last 6 fixtures aren't by any means easy though, we're playing Preston, two teams chasing the play offs and two teams fighting relegation. We really really should go up. Urrgh football. Still, could be Coventry :wink:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
And there it is. 10 seasons away but we're promoted. 10 more points for the title now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :smile: Guess your time in this thread is coming to an end :tongue:

Also good win for Wrexham today, important first win for Kevin Wilkin as well

Is a spell in administration not better in the long term than another dodgy moneyman selling them down the river?

Original post by Superunknown17
Congrats :smile: Guess your time in this thread is coming to an end :tongue:

Also good win for Wrexham today, important first win for Kevin Wilkin as well

Depends what I'm doing next year. Looking at a bradford season ticket if I get the disposal cash that I've not had of late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 849
Original post by redferry
Pity most of the other results didn't go our way!!

So so so happy we won though :biggrin:

Could have been better but could have been worse. At least Villa lost!
Actually glad Millwall won though, cos my housemate is a Nottingham Forest fan :colone:

Millwall was fun, me and me dad got on Midlands Today and Central News for a few seconds. Atmosphere was good, it was intimidating, but fun. Not many barneys off the pitch tho :lolwut:
Original post by Midlander
Who cares about being found guilty of fraud, we'll just let anyone own a football club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A minor charge for not paying tax really. As long as he has the money to keep the club going and improving I don't think too many people care about his past. Most Leeds fans are happy at this new development. The alternative is administration, almost certain relegation, and potential liquidation afterwards.

Plus, The Football League have had no problems accepting obviously corrupt and unreliable owners in the past, so why wouldn't they let the man who's owned a top flight football club for years take over? That's a far greater example of reliability than practically anything else.

Edit: And since he's owned Cagliari since 1992 without them going down the tubes I welcome the stability. He's Leeds United's best chance of returning to the Premier League.

I would also say Cellino was going to take over regardless of the decision of his appeal. He was in talks with a rival consortium, who were open to accepting him. They would have taken over the club and he would have run it and bankrolled it from the shadows. The consortium would have been a middle man so it's sort of irrelevant.

It's like when Ken Bates took over and was disqualified. A mysterious trust bought the club, which we never found out the identity of. Later on Ken Bates was not disqualified and this trust discounted all over bids in favour of his. It was strange how this trust was in the exact place where Ken Bates bases himself. A lot of Leeds fans suspect it was Ken Bates controlled all along.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Is a spell in administration not better in the long term than another dodgy moneyman selling them down the river?
Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's absolutely not. It's just another step back about five years. They go into administration and they're relegated next year. They'll start with minus 15 points and their best players will leave because of money issues. At the rate they're leaking money they won't be able to bring anyone in and administration won't solve the problem.

Plus, Cellino isn't just a dodgy money man. He's owned an Italian A football club for years without any problems. that makes him far more reliable than any first time owner coming in and taking over.

He's incredibly rich so the risk is well worth it. Plus, he actually has a passion for football, which is shown by the fact he's remained in it for so long alongside his normal business.
I said Brentford and I'm going to stick by it, but Rotherham have a amazing way of getting the result they need right now.
Original post by Jangrafess
^ This. If someone who wanted to buy Brentford failed the fit and proper person test I wouldn't want them anywhere near my club regardless of how much money they had to offer us.

Brentford won again today, and hopefully we've turned around our rough patch. Our last 6 fixtures aren't by any means easy though, we're playing Preston, two teams chasing the play offs and two teams fighting relegation. We really really should go up. Urrgh football. Still, could be Coventry :wink:

Must be a hard life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A minor charge for not paying tax really. As long as he has the money to keep the club going and improving I don't think too many people care about his past. Most Leeds fans are happy at this new development. The alternative is administration, almost certain relegation, and potential liquidation afterwards.

Plus, The Football League have had no problems accepting obviously corrupt and unreliable owners in the past, so why wouldn't they let the man who's owned a top flight football club for years take over? That's a far greater example of reliability than practically anything else.

Edit: And since he's owned Cagliari since 1992 without them going down the tubes I welcome the stability. He's Leeds United's best chance of returning to the Premier League.

I would also say Cellino was going to take over regardless of the decision of his appeal. He was in talks with a rival consortium, who were open to accepting him. They would have taken over the club and he would have run it and bankrolled it from the shadows. The consortium would have been a middle man so it's sort of irrelevant.

It's like when Ken Bates took over and was disqualified. A mysterious trust bought the club, which we never found out the identity of. Later on Ken Bates was not disqualified and this trust discounted all over bids in favour of his. It was strange how this trust was in the exact place where Ken Bates bases himself. A lot of Leeds fans suspect it was Ken Bates controlled all along.

Posts like yours show what is wrong with the way football is run in this country. Who cares what someone's background is, it's all about the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posts like yours show what is wrong with the way football is run in this country. Who cares what someone's background is, it's all about the money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's been all about the money for decades. Football clubs are still businesses. If you don't understand that you're living in a different era. Whether we like it or not that's the way of the world.

I'd love it if the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City couldn't just buy leagues through foreign owners, but they can. The only way to get to the top is to spend spend spend and spend some more.

Unless you're some sort of moral martyr you'd rather watch a cashed up Chelsea playing the likes of Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Barcelona, and Liverpool over watching a dejected club playing Doncaster, Yeovil, and Barnsley. And that's why I'm delighted at the decision to allow Cellino in.
It's been all about the money for decades. Football clubs are still businesses. If you don't understand that you're living in a different era. Whether we like it or not that's the way of the world.

I'd love it if the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City couldn't just buy leagues through foreign owners, but they can. The only way to get to the top is to spend spend spend and spend some more.

Unless you're some sort of moral martyr you'd rather watch a cashed up Chelsea playing the likes of Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Barcelona, and Liverpool over watching a dejected club playing Doncaster, Yeovil, and Barnsley. And that's why I'm delighted at the decision to allow Cellino in.

I understand it perfectly, I just don't like it-at all. We were quite happy letting SISU rescue us from administration and 7 years on we are in Northampton in the third division before crowds of 1500.

English football is run in such a short termist way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 857
Follow your dreams is the moral from todays game. Because if Stuart Attwell can make a career out of refereeing, your average Joe can become an astronaut.

All in all, if Burnley play in the PL like they did today, their PL spell will be short. They were woeful and didn't deserve the point at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 858
Whilst I'm here, well done to Leicester on officially being promoted. An amazing way to come back from last year by hammering the entire league. A truly deserved promotion, enjoy the Premier League, don't leave this thread for too long though!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand it perfectly, I just don't like it-at all. We were quite happy letting SISU rescue us from administration and 7 years on we are in Northampton in the third division before crowds of 1500.

English football is run in such a short termist way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's always that risk, yes. What Leeds have going for it is it's still a well-known club throughout the world. It does have fan bases in other countries, and it can often leverage its history despite the fact it's absolutely nothing in the present.

I think in the case of Leeds, though, we've already experienced administration, multiple relegations, and come close to liquidation. Many Leeds fans would rather go in all or nothing and risk liquidation than gently sink down to the nothing divisions. The difference is going with Cellino gives us a chance to avoid that fate, whereas sticking with what we have now almost ensures a gentle fall down the divisions.

In the case of Leeds, the infrastructure is too big. They're losing £1 million a month now and attendances are going down. Fans stuck with them before in League One, but they won't this time. With what they have in place any further decrease in revenues would mean the club never turns a profit.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest