The Student Room Group

How to revise for French?

Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for the listening and reading exam for French?

Obviously you can do past papers but we're doing a lot of those in class and I don't want to have already done them.

Thanks
Reply 1
Everyday pick a topic from the syllabus and make a vocabulary list of 15 words from the word list that you didn't know. Practice them a few times until you can remember them, then think about how they could be used in sentences. I doubt you'll remember them all for the exams but it'll help widen your vocabulary at least.

Also try watching films or TV programmes with French subtitles to help in the reading and French audio with English subtitles to help your listening skills.

Are you doing foundation or higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not that exciting, but finding a vocab list for GCSE French and just learning the words on it is really useful. Maybe get someone to test you / make flash cards on the words you're not sure on? Good luck :smile:
What exam board are you on? I do edexcel and there is a big list of vocab likely to come up. Learn 10 of those words a day and you'll have no issues :smile:
Reply 5
Read French-English parallel texts
Listen to French pop music / radio
Watch French films with (French!) subtitles

etc.

Basically just immerse yourself in the language.

If your exam is big on topic-specific vocabulary then obviously learn that too.

Also make sure you know good sentence structures to use for writing tasks.
Reply 6
Original post by ABand98
Everyday pick a topic from the syllabus and make a vocabulary list of 15 words from the word list that you didn't know. Practice them a few times until you can remember them, then think about how they could be used in sentences. I doubt you'll remember them all for the exams but it'll help widen your vocabulary at least.

Also try watching films or TV programmes with French subtitles to help in the reading and French audio with English subtitles to help your listening skills.

Are you doing foundation or higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing higher with AQA.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by easyastau
Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for the listening and reading exam for French?

Obviously you can do past papers but we're doing a lot of those in class and I don't want to have already done them.

Thanks

Il est une seule methode a preparer pour un examen de francais: parlez avec et ecoutez a quelqu'un qui parle en francais. Pour bien comprendre et bien parler, on doit s'immerser dans un environnement dans lequel on parle en francais.
Reply 8
Original post by honeywhite
Il est une seule methode a preparer pour un examen de francais: parlez avec et ecoutez a quelqu'un qui parle en francais. Pour bien comprendre et bien parler, on doit s'immerser dans un environnement dans lequel on parle en francais.

Thank you, I try to but all of my family and friends are German or speak German which makes it difficult to practice with people. I listen to a lot of French music and I have tried reading a few French blogs but I will continue to get more involved.

Thank you again :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by easyastau
Thank you, I try to but all of my family and friends are German or speak German which makes it difficult to practice with people. I listen to a lot of French music and I have tried reading a few French blogs but I will continue to get more involved.

Thank you again :smile:

My family is full of Jerseymen and English but our conversations are a torrent of French, German, Latin, and Greek. Sometimes I mix them up too---that's always been my problem.
Reply 10
Original post by honeywhite
My family is full of Jerseymen and English but our conversations are a torrent of French, German, Latin, and Greek. Sometimes I mix them up too---that's always been my problem.

Luckily I'm only learning one language so I don't have that problem! I try to talk to myself (in my head) in French just to practice making the translation quicker.
Reply 11

I definitely recommend Memrise. I do Spanish, not French, but I find Memrise really useful for learning vocabulary - it makes it more fun.

Quick Reply

Latest