The Student Room Group

Do squats make your butt, thighs and hips bigger?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Make sure your toes are pointed slightly outwards and your knees follow your toes when you squat. You'll feel it more in your bum then, rather than just your thighs. You don't need to go ass to grass - thighs parallel to the floor is actually harder and does more work than dropping lower into an ATG squat (if you ever try Green Sally Up, try making your paused squats ATG and you'll see what I mean - it makes it so easy compared to parallel!). And never let your knees come in front of your toes. Tense your glutes as you stand and always fully open your hips at the top of your squat. Paused squats, pulsed squats, coming up 3/4 of the way and holding are all good variations to feel the burn.
Original post by abc101
Make sure your toes are pointed slightly outwards and your knees follow your toes when you squat. You'll feel it more in your bum then, rather than just your thighs. You don't need to go ass to grass - thighs parallel to the floor is actually harder and does more work than dropping lower into an ATG squat (if you ever try Green Sally Up, try making your paused squats ATG and you'll see what I mean - it makes it so easy compared to parallel!). And never let your knees come in front of your toes. Tense your glutes as you stand and always fully open your hips at the top of your squat. Paused squats, pulsed squats, coming up 3/4 of the way and holding are all good variations to feel the burn.

It's fine for your knees to pass your toes

btw lol at making it harder if you go parallel, not even gonna answer that one

but going deeper into the squat, aka ATG - actually works your glutes more. Think about where you stop when you're parallel, it's concentrated on your quads

they should sticky this post somewhere as an example of why you should actually make sure you're correct before giving **** advice
Original post by nopenopenope

but going deeper into the squat, aka ATG - actually works your glutes more. Think about where you stop when you're parallel, it's concentrated on your quads

they should sticky this post somewhere as an example of why you should actually make sure you're correct before giving **** advice

Lol

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 43

The fact that you've said it's fine for your knees to pass your toes demonstrates that you know jack **** about squatting.

Knees over toes is TERRIBLE form. Never EVER do you let that happen.
:smile::smile::smile:

howdi u
Reply 45
Original post by abc101
The fact that you've said it's fine for your knees to pass your toes demonstrates that you know jack **** about squatting.

The irony is strong in this one. You're an idiot, congratulations.
Original post by abc101

I think this post should be the opening screen for every internet browser with a little caption that says

'Never go full retard'

Because that's what you just did. It's perfectly fine for your knees to pass your toes, at least Google things and check if the source and evidence is legit before you go spouting your ******* ****

Original post by yepyepyep
howdi u

I thought u had died
I haven't seen u post in a while

The guy did have a point.

When you do 'Green sally up' you spend a lot of the time in the hole. Now, are you telling me that when you are at the bottom of the hole, in a physiologically 'relaxed' state it's harder than holding your body up above it's natural resting point, for 20-30 seconds at a time? Let me phrase it in an easier way for you to understand - do you think it's easier to stop a rep at the end/start or in the middle?

Alongside that, one could argue that stopping just below paralel is harder than true ATG because of the stretch reflex. Saying 'ATG is easier than parralel' is not an inherently stupid statement unless you really believe that all of lifting can be covered with sweeping blanket statements.

I'd also quite like to know what you're basing glute activation being higher in an ATG squat vs a paralel? As far as I know, the EMG studies are only using very small to no load (other than BW) and if you'd actually read them you'd realise that ATG/parallel squats have pretty **** glute activation vs some other variations. This is without even touching on the limitations/how crap the study was. Please read this so you at least look a bit informed next time you post.

ABC is also correct about not letting you allow your knees go over your toes. If you load the squat and keep your knees behind your toes you emphasise your posterior chain (READ: GLUTES). Unless, of course, you can show me some justification otherwise? In a PL low bar, wide stance position you really do not want you knees coming over your toes as you limit glute activation which is not what the OP wants to do. Think about the context of your advice rather than just repeating things.

Frankly, I don't expect you to be able to justifty anything(probably because you're just re-spewing **** you've read on the net. How does this make you any different from a broscientist if you're just getting your regurgitated information from a 'good' source?) but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

To the mod who just warned me top kek

My post is trolling? Pls read what abc said

fair enough I could have toned down on the full retard crap but it's the internet and I doubt anyone would be that offended by it

The problem with acting all cool on the internet and calling people retards is when you're not even correct/points can be argued either way. You've misunderstood what he was trying to say and then over-reacted.

Now all you've managed to achieve is convince me you're an uneducated moron with little to no understanding of biomechanics. Now all I think is you read stuff on the net and if somebody disagrees with the "current thing" you are incapable of thinking for yourself and fly off the handle because they must be wrong. Maybe next time try refuting a point rather than flying in all high and mighty, deciding which points are worth discussing and then coming across like a total muppet. GG man. Gee gee.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by abc101

This is dependent on what your aim is with squatting. I squat with knees past toes.

(that is not me)
Original post by Piggsil
This is dependent on what your aim is with squatting. I squat with knees past toes.

(that is not me)

Long femurs and dorsiflexion for days crew checking in.

Original post by RollerBall
x

I think the issue with "knees over toes" in the squat is one contested as a matter of biomechanical safety and maintaining ligamentous/chondral integrity, rather than in actual glute activation due to torso angle.
It's pretty hard to go high bar and low with knees behind toes. You'll need a chair. Low bar is suited to knees behind toes.

Parallel squatting for me is easier. Why? Because like most people, flexibility becomes an issue with ATG and it's harder to take on a full load from the bottom where we tend to be weakest (as it's the fringe of our ROM). Frankly, most people can't do ATG to save their lives. Longer ROM sounds better to me for full 'functionality' of movement of the joints and muscles through the range. My legs and joints are made to move the whole way, it makes sense to do at least some sets that way. If you're only interested in lifting lots of weight parallel is better. Screw the 'evidence', the only evidence you need is why competitive elite power lifters only go parallel. If it was easier to go ATG why wouldn't they?

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
ye but you need to focus on some proper form to maximise your bum gains. Try to thrust your hips forward to lift the weight otherwise you work your quads more.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Long femurs and dorsiflexion for days crew checking in.

I think the issue with "knees over toes" in the squat is one contested as a matter of biomechanical safety and maintaining ligamentous/chondral integrity, rather than in actual glute activation due to torso angle.

Of course. However, ABC never said it was for safety reasons and stated it in a thread about maximising glute development with specific reference to the squat.

When somebody calls that out as BS, whilst acting like a total ass about it and thinking their attitude is legit, I am going to call a spade a spade also.

Advice is worth nothing without context so I don't appreciate somebody taking a high ground and then spouting rehashed **** without computing it themselves. These people are no better (arguably worse because of the attitude) than broscientists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

I thought u had died
I haven't seen u post in a while

ive been busy : ((( how things going with you?
Original post by RollerBall

When somebody calls that out as BS, whilst acting like a total ass about it and thinking their attitude is legit, I am going to call a spade a spade also.

lol you poor precious flower, why u mad?
he was just correcting someone.
Original post by yepyepyep
lol you poor precious flower, why u mad?
he was just correcting someone.

He wasn't correcting anything. He was just being an ass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I've started doing squats without weights to try get a rounder bigger bum and i was wondering if they would make my thighs bigger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Depends really. I already have muscular thighs from netball so they would probably make my thighs bigger but if you weren't very muscular in the first place they might just firm them up a bit. Also depends on how many squats you're planning to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once you get to 10+ bw squats.. its pretty much cardio and hence is a waste of time if you want a rounder bum/ more shapely legs. Bw squats are not going to effect anything.
Original post by lovepeace
I've started doing squats without weights to try get a rounder bigger bum and i was wondering if they would make my thighs bigger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Negligible long-term difference to anything if you only do bodyweight squats so I wouldn't bother at all tbh... but yes they train your quads as well as your hams/glutes (for dat ass)

Quick Reply

Latest