The Student Room Group

your opinion

what's your opinion on gay marriages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Live & let live.

If anything I think marriages in general are stupid, but there you go.
Reply 2
It's a distasteful, homonormative structure that I want no part of. But that's just my opinion; it's important that everyone has the same options.
Reply 3
Any two people who can consent to marriage should be able to get married regardless of gender or sex.

But as someone said... marriage is a bit daft to me. But it's what we've got.
It's not an issue

Should have happened sooner

but we are moving in the right direction
Original post by mmmpie
It's a distasteful, homonormative structure that I want no part of. But that's just my opinion; it's important that everyone has the same options.

At the risk of sounding clichéd, nobody's forcing you to have one.
I think I agree with the notion Thaler and Sunstein put forward in Nudge - Marriage, in the legal sense with the benefits and such that entails should be a contractual matter between some number of individuals of whatever gender. The state shouldn't have an opinion on who/how many people can enter into such an arrangement.

Marriage in a personal/religious sense should be down to whoever is endorsing the marriage. If your Catholic church/Satanic circle/Scuba club wants to set certain restrictions on who they'll perform a ceremony for then the state shouldn't stop them. But this kind of marriage and the legal kind above shouldn't be connected in any way.
Reply 7
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
At the risk of sounding clichéd, nobody's forcing you to have one.

Yes, I know that. I did also say that everyone should have the option.
Marriage is arguably a religious affair. Therefore it's wrong for people to impose gay marriage on someone else's beliefs. If their religion states that homosexuality is wrong, and therefore marriage is wrong, why are we forcing gay marriage onto them. If we're all allowed our own opinions and beliefs, gay marriage in a church should not be allowed.

I'm not saying i'm against gay marriage, this is just a view argued by some people. I personally don't care, as i'm not religious.
Reply 9
Original post by MichaelYEAH
Marriage is arguably a religious affair. Therefore it's wrong for people to impose gay marriage on someone else's beliefs. If their religion states that homosexuality is wrong, and therefore marriage is wrong, why are we forcing gay marriage onto them. If we're all allowed our own opinions and beliefs, gay marriage in a church should not be allowed.

I'm not saying i'm against gay marriage, this is just a view argued by some people. I personally don't care, as i'm not religious.

Except that we're not imposing gay marriage on someone else's beliefs. Religious organisations must opt-in to performing same-sex marriages, and even then individual priests cannot be compelled to perform one against their consciences. If we're all allowed our own opinions and beliefs, then same-sex marriages must be allowed in churches that want to perform them.
Original post by mmmpie
Except that we're not imposing gay marriage on someone else's beliefs. Religious organisations must opt-in to performing same-sex marriages, and even then individual priests cannot be compelled to perform one against their consciences. If we're all allowed our own opinions and beliefs, then same-sex marriages must be allowed in churches that want to perform them.

Like I said, not my argument, so I can't really argue the case very well. I think the main 'jist' of the argument is simply that if someone's religion tells them that gay marriage is wrong, why is the government allowed to ignore that? I remember the person who argued this to me saying that they should be allowed non-religious marriages, or something that's not even called a marriage but has the same 'value' as a marriage. It's the fact that it's encroaching on someone's beliefs which annoyed this person.
Reply 11
OP, you should have been more specific with your thread title.

I don't support gay marriage. I can understand the equality arguments. But I think it tries to distort and inherently change an institution that I don't think humans can just change. Marriage is very meaningful, it's not just a legal bond, it's not just a human institution. If it was simply a legal matter, I think most would agree that gay marriages are fine. But it's not. The definition of marriage is totally changed when you incorporate gay couples into it. Changing what it means to be married is, in my opinion, silly.

But hey, humans make bad decisions sometimes.
Original post by Pride
OP, you should have been more specific with your thread title.

I don't support gay marriage. I can understand the equality arguments. But I think it tries to distort and inherently change an institution that I don't think humans can just change. Marriage is very meaningful, it's not just a legal bond, it's not just a human institution. If it was simply a legal matter, I think most would agree that gay marriages are fine. But it's not. The definition of marriage is totally changed when you incorporate gay couples into it. Changing what it means to be married is, in my opinion, silly.

But hey, humans make bad decisions sometimes.

Pretty sure marriage is a human construct, created by human societies. But go on, what is this higher definition of marriage that stands above the human ability to redefine it?
Reply 13
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Pretty sure marriage is a human construct, created by human societies. But go on, what is this higher definition of marriage that stands above the human ability to redefine it?

Well I can talk about Christianity.

We assume the origin of the teachings of the bible isn't human. And it teaches us about the importance of marriage. That God made man and woman, and he wanted them to come together in marriage, to become 'one flesh'
Original post by Pride
Well I can talk about Christianity.

We assume the origin of the teachings of the bible isn't human. And it teaches us about the importance of marriage. That God made man and woman, and he wanted them to come together in marriage, to become 'one flesh'

So would you also object to non-Christians marrying each other? Also, if marriage is a concept handed down through the Bible by divine writ, how do we account for the existence of marriage rituals in pre-Christian cultures?
Reply 15
Original post by ManifoldManifest
So would you also object to non-Christians marrying each other? Also, if marriage is a concept handed down through the Bible by divine writ, how do we account for the existence of marriage rituals in pre-Christian cultures?

To non-christians marrying each other, I wouldn't object, because they are just adopting a religious institution even though they don't believe in the God who is involved in it. I also don't assume that God approves of every heterosexual marriage that takes place.

Christianity isn't the only religion where marriage plays an important role. Nor is Judaism. I'm not saying that either the Christians or the Jews were the first group to marry couples. I'm saying that it is an institution that involves and is supported by God, and therefore cannot be redefined to incorporate unions that God would not define as the same.
Marriage is the joining of two people in love - no matter of their gender. Equality is very important in the modern world and marriage should not be ruled out by this.
I do not intend on getting married so I really don't care about it.

Although, i'd rather it be ''out the way'' than a recurring issue.
Reply 18
I had no idea gay marriage was an issue until people mentioned that gay marriage wasn't allowed. I just thought anyone could get married to anyone.

Funny thing is, I still hold the same view. As long as they're happy right?
Reply 19
I think it should definitely be allowed. You can be against the notion, but no one's forcing the opposer to have a gay marriage. It seems nonsensical to disallow two people who love each other to get married. Marriage isn't just a religious affair, nowadays it's a legal and social affair. Certain churches or priests should have the liberty to refuse it, but not prevent it altogether.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending