The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genocidal
There's always that risk, yes. What Leeds have going for it is it's still a well-known club throughout the world. It does have fan bases in other countries, and it can often leverage its history despite the fact it's absolutely nothing in the present.

I think in the case of Leeds, though, we've already experienced administration, multiple relegations, and come close to liquidation. Many Leeds fans would rather go in all or nothing and risk liquidation than gently sink down to the nothing divisions. The difference is going with Cellino gives us a chance to avoid that fate, whereas sticking with what we have now almost ensures a gentle fall down the divisions.

In the case of Leeds, the infrastructure is too big. They're losing £1 million a month now and attendances are going down. Fans stuck with them before in League One, but they won't this time. With what they have in place any further decrease in revenues would mean the club never turns a profit.

I would never want to risk my club ceasing to exist, that's the thing. I hope for the fans' sakes that this guy doesn't take Leeds into oblivion, but it's such a desperate state of affairs that he is seen as the only saviour of the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
Follow your dreams is the moral from todays game. Because if Stuart Attwell can make a career out of refereeing, your average Joe can become an astronaut.

All in all, if Burnley play in the PL like they did today, their PL spell will be short. They were woeful and didn't deserve the point at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think everyone is surprised to see Burnley up there considering how small their squad is. If they go up (which is looking annoying likely) then they'll struggle big time. Guaranteed. The only reason they've done well is that they've been ridiculously lucky with injuries (or lack of them!) and they have a very good manager. As a Rovers fan I'd rather get beat by them home and away than see them go up but I'll take great pleasure seeing them get taken apart next year, should they go up.
Reply 862
Original post by brocklehurst95
I think everyone is surprised to see Burnley up there considering how small their squad is. If they go up (which is looking annoying likely) then they'll struggle big time. Guaranteed. The only reason they've done well is that they've been ridiculously lucky with injuries (or lack of them!) and they have a very good manager. As a Rovers fan I'd rather get beat by them home and away than see them go up but I'll take great pleasure seeing them get taken apart next year, should they go up.

Dyche, for me, is one of the top 3 managers in the league. At Watford, he learnt the trade before managing, which is how it should be done, rather than a few ex players just straight away becoming managers. Dyche learnt from Brendan Rodgers, one of the best managers around at the moment, and Malky Mackay, a Premiership standard manager. He will do well.

He did wonders at Watford. Anyone who can finish 11th with a strike force of Chris Iwelumo and Joe Garner deserves a knighthood.
Original post by CraigWM
Whilst I'm here, well done to Leicester on officially being promoted. An amazing way to come back from last year by hammering the entire league. A truly deserved promotion, enjoy the Premier League, don't leave this thread for too long though!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

Personally I hope our promotion just sets something in owners minds - the success Pearson has had after the fairly intense speculation about him being fired should serve to show that owners shouldn't jump the gun if a good manager (No denying Pearson has been a good manager for us in both spells) goes through a bit of a rough patch.
Reply 864
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Thanks.

Personally I hope our promotion just sets something in owners minds - the success Pearson has had after the fairly intense speculation about him being fired should serve to show that owners shouldn't jump the gun if a good manager (No denying Pearson has been a good manager for us in both spells) goes through a bit of a rough patch.

Will be interesting to see how the promoted managers end up next year. Would be stupid of your owners to sack Pearson if things go pearshaped after backing him for so long, so he should last the season, as will Dyche. Could finally see a change in the attitude of promoted clubs and their respective owners, rather than just sacking managers at the first opportunity in the hope of PL survival, doesn't really tend to work.
Original post by CraigWM
x

Please go easy on us tonight, we're without one of our best players.
Reply 866
Original post by Silver Arrows
Please go easy on us tonight, we're without one of our best players.

If you're one down with 10 minutes to go, you're guaranteed a draw against us. If the Championship only played 80 minutes of football we'd be in the playoffs. Does Dominic Poleon still play for you? Our atmosphere only gets good when someone can be booed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
If you're one down with 10 minutes to go, you're guaranteed a draw against us. If the Championship only played 80 minutes of football we'd be in the playoffs. Does Dominic Poleon still play for you? Our atmosphere only gets good when someone can be booed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poleon does play for us, but rarely makes an appearance. I think he had 30 minutes against Charlton last Tuesday. We've gone behind in 24/40 championship games this season.
Reply 868
Poleon does play for us, but rarely makes an appearance. I think he had 30 minutes against Charlton last Tuesday. We've gone behind in 24/40 championship games this season.

Oh, you're set to get a draw then. We'll go ahead then let you score in the 89th minute. We're 3rd in the first half table, that's all I can take from this season. Who's missing for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
Oh, you're set to get a draw then. We'll go ahead then let you score in the 89th minute. We're 3rd in the first half table, that's all I can take from this season. Who's missing for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sam Byram. Rudy Austin is also a doubt.
Oh my god I so wan't Chris Houghton back. Anyone think he would?
Reply 871
Sam Byram. Rudy Austin is also a doubt.

I imagine we'll be playing Anya on the left then to exploit a back-up right back, good luck to whoever that is. We're still missing a ton of players and Diakite will be probably get sent off so you've got that going for you.
Original post by redferry
Oh my god I so wan't Chris Houghton back. Anyone think he would?

What makes you think he could do any better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
What makes you think he could do any better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact that I love him a little bit? :P

That's what my bf said but the idea of him coming back seems too good to be true.
The fact that I love him a little bit? :P

That's what my bf said but the idea of him coming back seems too good to be true.

I would actually look north of the border-lots of managers there doing well on bugger all resources. Pressley has worked wonders keeping Northampton B in League 1, for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would actually look north of the border-lots of managers there doing well on bugger all resources. Pressley has worked wonders keeping Northampton B in League 1, for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

After McLeish I don't think another Scottish manager will go down well :P

snoring boring scottish football..ZzZzZz
After McLeish I don't think another Scottish manager will go down well :P

snoring boring scottish football..ZzZzZz

Mrs M is an Aberdeen fan so hearing endless praise of Derek McInnes at the moment. Casually ignoring his epic fail at Brizzle :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mrs M is an Aberdeen fan so hearing endless praise of Derek McInnes at the moment. Casually ignoring his epic fail at Brizzle :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arghhhhhh

we have scottish footballing wonderboy Andrew Shinnie at brum and he is godawful.

Slowly everything scottish to do with football :P
Arghhhhhh

we have scottish footballing wonderboy Andrew Shinnie at brum and he is godawful.

Slowly everything scottish to do with football :P

I have had to make do with it for the last 4-5 years now. The football is awful-SPL roughly correlates to top half League 1-but the food is immense. Macaroni pies all round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have had to make do with it for the last 4-5 years now. The football is awful-SPL roughly correlates to top half League 1-but the food is immense. Macaroni pies all round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sounds amazing. The food at St Andrews is the pits

Quick Reply

Latest