The Student Room Group

Goth and emo differences, is the emo term only related to music?

What are the differences between a Goth and a Emo? Did emo fashion/culture emanate from goth culture and fashion? Is only emo related to music? Whereas Goth has no relation to music? Also why do some people say emo does not exist at all? Lastly are emo (if it exists) and pop punk in decline or will they come back eventually?

Many Thanks for your help.
Rites Of Spring are considered by many to be the first "emo" band because instead of writing politically charged lyrics like most other hXc bands of the time, they focused on the emotional side of life.

The band themselves, however, hated the term.

According to a friend of mine, many consider this to be the epitome of Gothic Metal:

But that's if we're just talking music. If we're talking about typical stereotypes then emos are like the Budweiser Light of the teenie world.
Reply 2
Original post by Drunk Punx
Rites Of Spring are considered by many to be the first "emo" band because instead of writing politically charged lyrics like most other hXc bands of the time, they focused on the emotional side of life.

The band themselves, however, hated the term.

According to a friend of mine, many consider this to be the epitome of Gothic Metal:

But that's if we're just talking music. If we're talking about typical stereotypes then emos are like the Budweiser Light of the teenie world.

"then emos are like the Budweiser Light of the teenie world." What does that mean, does this mean they are regarded by some metal fans etc as "posers"?
Original post by hsv
"then emos are like the Budweiser Light of the teenie world." What does that mean, does this mean they are regarded by some metal fans etc as "posers"?

I don't know as I can't speak for everyone, but when the whole "emo" thing became big in the early 2000s I was in school, and suddenly every other kiddie and his dog started sporting the typical emo look; some would wear brightly coloured clothes, some would stick to all black, but they'd all have that stupid fringe over one eye with a short back and sides in common (I, on the other hand, had said fringe but had long hair all over. I looked like a modern day Captain Caveman and it was a decision I regret to this day, though the chicks seemed to dig it so it wasn't all bad).
Typically, they dressed like goths (as I said, some if not most would wear all black, usually with something lacy that's typically seen on goths) but would listen to pop-punk. Diet Goths, if you will.
With a **** taste in music at that ([subjective, obviously] unfortunately, they never seemed to listen to what used to be emo [Rites Of Spring, etc], instead listening to Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, etc. For some reason they thought that gave them the privilege to say that they listened to punk music, which the elitist in me took as an insult to actual punk music).

Now I have nothing against them because I'm not a kid any more and therefore no longer buy into stereotypes (it's a method of social segregation, and I can't abide by that form of fascism), but when I was young? Good god I hated them. Then came the scene kids, and by that point I lost all hope for the kids of today. Goths, punks and metalheads seemed to be dwindling in numbers and were being replaced by metrosexual bastards in scarves (and at the same time the townies were being replaced by chavs, which further fuelled my angst-driven anger at what was happening amongst the people I was going to school with. The townies were dicks but you could get along with them, whereas the chavs were intolerable ****ers who thought they were double-hard bastards but would run and grab their mates as soon as I got in their faces). I missed the good ol' days, everything was simpler before year 10.

Anyway, I've digressed massively. What was the original question?
I don't know as I can't speak for everyone, but when the whole "emo" thing became big in the early 2000s I was in school, and suddenly every other kiddie and his dog started sporting the typical emo look; some would wear brightly coloured clothes, some would stick to all black, but they'd all have that stupid fringe over one eye with a short back and sides in common (I, on the other hand, had said fringe but had long hair all over. I looked like a modern day Captain Caveman and it was a decision I regret to this day, though the chicks seemed to dig it so it wasn't all bad).
Typically, they dressed like goths (as I said, some if not most would wear all black, usually with something lacy that's typically seen on goths) but would listen to pop-punk. Diet Goths, if you will.
With a **** taste in music at that ([subjective, obviously] unfortunately, they never seemed to listen to what used to be emo [Rites Of Spring, etc], instead listening to Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, etc. For some reason they thought that gave them the privilege to say that they listened to punk music, which the elitist in me took as an insult to actual punk music).

Now I have nothing against them because I'm not a kid any more and therefore no longer buy into stereotypes (it's a method of social segregation, and I can't abide by that form of fascism), but when I was young? Good god I hated them. Then came the scene kids, and by that point I lost all hope for the kids of today. Goths, punks and metalheads seemed to be dwindling in numbers and were being replaced by metrosexual bastards in scarves (and at the same time the townies were being replaced by chavs, which further fuelled my angst-driven anger at what was happening amongst the people I was going to school with. The townies were dicks but you could get along with them, whereas the chavs were intolerable ****ers who thought they were double-hard bastards but would run and grab their mates as soon as I got in their faces). I missed the good ol' days, everything was simpler before year 10.

I genuinely found this enlightening

good post
Reply 5

:toofunny:

I had no idea where this post was going to go and by the end it didn't even matter.
goth is stuff like cradle of filth, marilyn manson, evanescence, etc
emo is stuff like MCR, fall out boy, the used, etc
sometimes it's difficult to distinguish the two
but this is only based on my opinion of the distinction :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)

This is absolutely brilliant :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
We didn't have emo's when I was a lass! It was moshers or townies or stiffs and that was it! the nineties was a simpler time.
Original post by yo radical one
I genuinely found this enlightening

good post

Original post by Devel
:toofunny:

I had no idea where this post was going to go and by the end it didn't even matter.

Original post by simpletech668
This is absolutely brilliant :biggrin:

Thank you all kindly :hat2:
Actually, the Gothic subculture has a lot to do with music. The movement started in the 80's I believe with bands like Joy Division, Bauhaus and Silouxie and the Banshees. This article better explains the origins of the Goth movement better than I could http://www.gothicsubculture.com/origin.php

Either way, nowadays most people just associate Goth with some form of black clothing so I can understand why the two subcultures get confused. Emo was born in the 2000's with bands like My Chemical Romance, as someone previously said. The fashion is also massively different though, with Emos having a love for the side fringe, skinny jeans style whereas Goth embraces darkness in a different way. Of course, I'm not saying that is exclusively the case but more what is common within the subcultures.

I personally dress in the Gothic style, but I don't identify myself within the subculture as I love Metal rather than trad Goth bands :biggrin:
Emo style is scruffier? (At least in my experience). Now the two styles kind of overlap so it's pretty confusing

Quick Reply

Latest