The Student Room Group

UCL vs Imperial vs LSE

Poll

Which one has the highest prestige?

So this is not a ignorant post or something.
I would just like to listen to your opion:
Purely based on the general "prestige factor", which one receives the most "wow"s ?

Scroll to see replies

It's mostly dependent on what you're studying. The social sciences for instance would have people thinking LSE.
Reply 2
Original post by Spairos
So this is not a ignorant post or something.
I would just like to listen to your opion:
Purely based on the general "prestige factor", which one receives the most "wow"s ?

Original post by Abdul-Karim
It's mostly dependent on what you're studying. The social sciences for instance would have people thinking LSE.

This. LSE for social sciences and Imperial for sciences/engineering.
Reply 3
I would say that LSE won't receive many "wow"s since the majority of their students are there because they are treated as cash cows.
UCL and Imperial would receive relatively same recognition, but it's UCL which has been ranked as 4th best university in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
better than Imperial and many places ahead of LSE and hence according to me it has the highest prestige and receives the most "wow"s.
UCL: Most prestigious university in London, second in the UK, fourth in the world.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
If you're so convinced why are you asking? :dontknow:

(I mean, I presume you are aware for example that even the uni ranking guides themselves have admitted that a uni like LSE gets "unfairly ranked" because of its limited range of offerings, and that all the unis you mentioned have been accused of treating postgrads like cash cows, and if you're doing social sciences good luck with finding either imperial or UCL treated with the same kind of wow factor outside the UK....and if maths or stats or sciences similar conclusion re finding anyone ranking UCL > imperial). but hey, you're clearly trying to convince yourself ...
Reply 5
Original post by sj27
If you're so convinced why are you asking? :dontknow:

(I mean, I presume you are aware for example that even the uni ranking guides themselves have admitted that a uni like LSE gets "unfairly ranked" because of its limited range of offerings, and that all the unis you mentioned have been accused of treating postgrads like cash cows, and if you're doing social sciences good luck with finding either imperial or UCL treated with the same kind of wow factor outside the UK....and if maths or stats or sciences similar conclusion re finding anyone ranking UCL > imperial). but hey, you're clearly trying to convince yourself ...

I am not asking to convince myself or others. I am asking to see what's the general opinion. I hope that everybody expresses their opinion and thus I also want to express mine.
Reply 6
Why would you care? It shouldn't matter what the average person on the street thinks about your university and how prestigious it is. It would also differ based upon whether someone is interested in social sciences, natural sciences, etc.

In reality, a lot of people simply would not have heard of any university outside of their local university and Oxbridge, as the former they will encounter regularly and because the latter have been in films, literature and the media in general for years.

What matters is that employers, obviously, know that they are three of the best universities in the country, and students from any of them will be highly capable.
Reply 7
Original post by KJ90
Why would you care? It shouldn't matter what the average person on the street thinks about your university and how prestigious it is. It would also differ based upon whether someone is interested in social sciences, natural sciences, etc.

In reality, a lot of people simply would not have heard of any university outside of their local university and Oxbridge, as the former they will encounter regularly and because the latter have been in films, literature and the media in general for years.

What matters is that employers, obviously, know that they are three of the best universities in the country, and students from any of them will be highly capable.

True, I acknowledge that and I agree. However, as I said in the opening post, I am just curious to conduct this survey.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Spairos
True, I acknowledge that and I agree. However, as I said in the opening post, I am just curious to conduct this survey.

You will mostly just get people from the respective universities voting for their own one.

What would that really tell you?
Reply 9
Original post by KJ90
You will mostly just get people from the respective universities voting for their own one.

What would that really tell you?

That if they do that, then they just want to say that their uni is the best and they are not objective. I know that in TSR that's how they do like in many surveys, but it sucks.
I am looking fort someone to expressing his opion (by using facts and arguments like I did) so that he can explain why according to him X uni is the most prestigious one.
If you are being examined and they ask you "which method is the best" and you just say "method X is the best" without explaining it, then you will fail.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ha. They all got the same amount of votes.
Reply 11
Original post by Spairos
That if they do that, then they just want to say that their uni is the best and they are not objective. I know that in TSR that's how they do like in many surveys, but it sucks.
I am looking fort someone to expressing his opion (by using facts and arguments like I did) so that he can explain why according to him X uni is the most prestigious one.
If you are being examined and they ask you "which method is the best" and you just say "method X is the best" without explaining it, then you will fail.

Well flawed undergrad rankings are not the best guide, so "facts" are not always as objective and useful as you may think.
The best guide is to see how - depending on what you want to do afterwards - academics or private sector employers value each. Of course this data is much harder to get hold of.

You can't compare them directly as has been said a number of times. Unless I am mistaken, LSE doesn't offer engineering and imperial doesn't offer much (anything?) in the way of social sciences. For my background LSE trumps the others hands down and I say this in terms of number of LSE vs other graduates I meet in good (not entry level) jobs. For someone in an engineering field it would undoubtedly be imperial on the same basis vs the other two unis you have here. I'm sure there must be some field it would work for UCL (I must say however I was very intrigued while following last year's UCL postgrad thread how many people only accepted there after being rejected elsewhere. That was curious to me. I haven't followed this year's so not sure if it is looking similar.)
Reply 12
I'm biased towards LSE because of my interest in social sciences so I'll hear more about it. Regarding UCL and Imperial I hear about UCL more so I'd probably say this uni is a tad more prestigious :smile:.
Reply 13
Original post by sj27
Well flawed undergrad rankings are not the best guide, so "facts" are not always as objective and useful as you may think.
The best guide is to see how - depending on what you want to do afterwards - academics or private sector employers value each. Of course this data is much harder to get hold of.

You can't compare them directly as has been said a number of times. Unless I am mistaken, LSE doesn't offer engineering and imperial doesn't offer much (anything?) in the way of social sciences. For my background LSE trumps the others hands down and I say this in terms of number of LSE vs other graduates I meet in good (not entry level) jobs. For someone in an engineering field it would undoubtedly be imperial on the same basis vs the other two unis you have here. I'm sure there must be some field it would work for UCL (I must say however I was very intrigued while following last year's UCL postgrad thread how many people only accepted there after being rejected elsewhere. That was curious to me. I haven't followed this year's so not sure if it is looking similar.)

Yes, but again don't forget that what I am asking here is not "which is the best uni" or "which uni will give you more job opportunities" etc. All I am doing is conducting a survey "which of the following unis do you believe that it's the most prestigious one".
The ones who are interested plz state your opinions, the rest please don't go off topic.
Reply 14
Original post by Spairos
Yes, but again don't forget that what I am asking here is not "which is the best uni" or "which uni will give you more job opportunities" etc. All I am doing is conducting a survey "which of the following unis do you believe that it's the most prestigious one".
The ones who are interested plz state your opinions, the rest please don't go off topic.

Uh... Firstly, there is a (blindingly obvious IMO) link between "best uni" or "job opportunities" and "uni prestige".

Secondly, good luck with starting a thread on the internet and expecting it to follow some kind of plan you have :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by Spairos

Prestigious is such a vapid, subjective and hard to define word that you will never get a decent answer.
Reply 16
I am uncertain if this would be off topic, but was wondering if anyone knew whether UCL or LSE is better for public policy/regulation type of studies? Sorry if off topic, but can't really find a better place to post this.
Reply 17
Original post by 92DL
I am uncertain if this would be off topic, but was wondering if anyone knew whether UCL or LSE is better for public policy/regulation type of studies? Sorry if off topic, but can't really find a better place to post this.

As you can see both are pretty reputable, RAE and rankings would put LSE on top but I'd consider price as the bigger factor.
Reply 18
Original post by ZakV
As you can see both are pretty reputable, RAE and rankings would put LSE on top but I'd consider price as the bigger factor.

Thanks for your response!
The price is roughly the same, I hold an offer for UCL but still waiting for LSE so it might be a bit of useless question in case they reject me. Just want to think about my options properly :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by 92DL
Thanks for your response!
The price is roughly the same, I hold an offer for UCL but still waiting for LSE so it might be a bit of useless question in case they reject me. Just want to think about my options properly :smile:
Well also consider the programme faculty, their specialities and modules available to your course. For instance I'm applying to Local Economic Development at LSE because I based my undergrad research on some undertaken by the course leader (unknowingly) and since contacting him he's been really helpful so I'd be keen to learn from him :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending