The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Silver Arrows
8 points from relegation zone. Still have Blackpool, Barnsley, Forest, Birmingham & Derby to play.

Need to get 2 wins, confirm safety. Write this season off, get rid of the deadweight uncommitted players in the Summer, Give McDermott some cash, rebuild. Fight for promotion.

How much surgery would it take to turn Leeds into promotion contenders?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
How much surgery would it take to turn Leeds into promotion contenders?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can only think of about 4 first team players worth keeping. We need a complete overhaul.
I can only think of about 4 first team players worth keeping. We need a complete overhaul.

That being the case it looks like it'll take a bit more than a magic wand from Cellino to get things going well in the long term. He will at least have the ability to release expensive players from their contracts early although wouldn't bank on an immediate turnaround.
That being the case it looks like it'll take a bit more than a magic wand from Cellino to get things going well in the long term. He will at least have the ability to release expensive players from their contracts early although wouldn't bank on an immediate turnaround.

He said that if Leeds aren't in the Premier League in 2 years then he'll deem himself a failure. He had 32 managers in 20 years at Calgari.
Even with European football so easily available?

Really crap European football. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be in the English league system and watch us play relatively good teams every week than watch us play village teams and pub teams from across Wales. The quality must be abysmal. The reward is just a trip to Latvia to watch a turgid 0-0 draw with Metalurgs Riga... maybe you get through in the home leg and then get battered by the giants that are Olimpija Ljubliana of Slovenia. Sounds dreadful to me!
8 points from relegation zone. Still have Blackpool, Barnsley, Forest, Birmingham & Derby to play.

Need to get 2 wins, confirm safety. Write this season off, get rid of the deadweight uncommitted players in the Summer, Give McDermott some cash, rebuild. Fight for promotion.

Well you've pretty much got a guaranteed win against us as we have forgotten how to play football so I wouldn't worry too much.

Blackpool seem to be sinking so you've definitely got a good chance there. Barnsley are if anything possibly even worse than us.

So I wouldn't say you had anything to worry about at all.
Original post by Jangrafess
Really crap European football. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be in the English league system and watch us play relatively good teams every week than watch us play village teams and pub teams from across Wales. The quality must be abysmal. The reward is just a trip to Latvia to watch a turgid 0-0 draw with Metalurgs Riga... maybe you get through in the home leg and then get battered by the giants that are Olimpija Ljubliana of Slovenia. Sounds dreadful to me!

Haha, well, when you put it like that...
He said that if Leeds aren't in the Premier League in 2 years then he'll deem himself a failure. He had 32 managers in 20 years at Calgari.

Paul Fletcher became Coventry chairman some time in early 2006. Boldly announcing 'Operation Premiership', he vowed that if we hadn't been promoted after 3 years, he would resign.

He resigned after 2.
Reply 928
Seems to be mixed reactions about Cellino's attitude to McDermott. In an interview with BBC Look North, he said he likes Brian & would like to see him fulfill his contract.

Leeds have debts of £30mil, the Board of Directors decided to award themselves a 140% pay rise. Yes, 140%. I didn't accidentally leave out a decimal point. They now get over £800,000 a year each. That is complete robbery of the fans. We keep getting our lowest attendance for the season every week. It was only 17,500 against Charlton.

We're all fed up & just want the season to end.

His record at Cagliari can probably say enough about McDermotts future... My only disappointment from last night's game is no one broke that dickhead Poleon's legs.
Original post by redferry
Well you've pretty much got a guaranteed win against us as we have forgotten how to play football so I wouldn't worry too much.

Blackpool seem to be sinking so you've definitely got a good chance there. Barnsley are if anything possibly even worse than us.

So I wouldn't say you had anything to worry about at all.

Not if the recent form table is anything to go by. Only Huddersfield are below us.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~20137,00.html
Not if the recent form table is anything to go by. Only Huddersfield are below us.

Take heart, our two wins were Doncaster and Millwall and we have been conceding 3+ in our losses.

We haven't beaten a club currently above us in the league since December.

All the other teams who have a possibility of being relegated are towards the foot of that table too, bar Charlton, so I don't see how that proves your point. Birmingham can't win at home and I read somewhere that Blackpool have won 3 of their last 27 league games :lolwut:

Leeds will be fine.
Original post by sr90
All the other teams who have a possibility of being relegated are towards the foot of that table too, bar Charlton, so I don't see how that proves your point. Birmingham can't win at home and I read somewhere that Blackpool have won 3 of their last 27 league games :lolwut:

Leeds will be fine.

But we play the teams at the bottom. If they take points off us, it's effectively a double whammy. At least when we get beat we have the comfort of other teams getting beat. It'll be bad if we get beat by Blackpool, Barnsley & Birmingham.
But we play the teams at the bottom. If they take points off us, it's effectively a double whammy. At least when we get beat we have the comfort of other teams getting beat. It'll be bad if we get beat by Blackpool, Barnsley & Birmingham.

You have 5 teams between you and the bottom 3, and it would also need Millwall to pull off an 8 point and 20 goal swing. I just don't see it happening. Donny, Blackpool and Charlton also have vastly inferior goal differences so you can add an extra point to what they have to make up on you as well.
You have 5 teams between you and the bottom 3, and it would also need Millwall to pull off an 8 point and 20 goal swing. I just don't see it happening. Donny, Blackpool and Charlton also have vastly inferior goal differences so you can add an extra point to what they have to make up on you as well.

I know it's unlikely. But the Championship is a crazy league, anyone can beat anyone on their day. I'm just not ruling anything out until we are mathematically safe.
Original post by bun
Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it, but what does everyone make about the 7 players arrested / questioned for spot fixing? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-26887860
From a York point of view, it's a real beep that Ben Davies is involved. Class player with a great future - I'd hope it's a case of mistaken identity / just trying to eliminate him from their suspects - to get involved with something like that at his age with a good career ahead of him is just utterly stupid

Is this the same people involved in the Sodje fixing ring?
Reply 936
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Is this the same people involved in the Sodje fixing ring?

I would imagine so.
I don't think I could hate any players more than I do the Sodjes. Particularly Onome.
Original post by bun
I would imagine so.
I don't think I could hate any players more than I do the Sodjes. Particularly Onome.

Almost everyone who has been arrested has some kind of connection to the Sodje brothers. Perhaps the players being questioned were just bribed to keep quiet?

I still think this is the tip of a very large iceberg.
Rotherham's draw tonight means we just need 6 points from 15 to go up. This is getting closer and closer.
All games starting 7 minutes late today in honour of the Hillsborough disaster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest