The Student Room Group

How to revise a GCSE in one day

So I'm planning to cover the whole of Biology GCSE tomorrow, hopefully. I'm confident that I know all of it, but I want to go back over it for a final time to really cement this knowledge. Any tips on how to do this in a day? Reading over it doesn't really work for me.

Edit: Something I forgot to add earlier- I have already revised Biology GCSE. I am not starting from scratch
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Firstly, it's an extremely stupid idea to cover the entire of Biology GCSE in one day.

But if you do have to, I suggest you use the specification.
Take summed up notes from each topic and read it to urself out loud from memory and do exam papers on each topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
Firstly, it's an extremely stupid idea to cover the entire of Biology GCSE in one day.

But if you do have to, I suggest you use the specification.

I've already revised all of it. I just want to re-revise it.
Reply 4
It it helps, I did GCSE Physics and Additional Maths revision in one night. I did Biology in one day and Chemistry in 2 days. It is possible, so don't listen to the skeptics. Just read your book through three-four times. Then learn random paragraphs in the book. That way your mind will form connections.
If you have a revision guide, do the questions at the end of each topic. Do tons of last papers to see if you do indeed have any gaps in your knowledge. I'm at a similar stage to you, except I'm just going over Unit 2 at the moment, since that's my first Biology exam. Anyway, I think this is the best way to surely 'cement' it. If you can't answer a question properly, then just make notes on that area. Again. Past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WanderingWorrier
I've already revised all of it. I just want to re-revise it.

The best thing to do really is to specifically take out the things you know you need to revise, rather than doing an overview of everything. But if you want to revise the entire thing, use the spec as a checklist.
Reply 7
So I'm planning to cover the whole of Biology GCSE tomorrow, hopefully. I'm confident that I know all of it, but I want to go back over it for a final time to really cement this knowledge. Any tips on how to do this in a day? Reading over it doesn't really work for me.

If I were you I would really go over things that I find quite tricky to remember. Prioritise the things you need to remember which you are not so confident on first so that your revision as a whole is efficient, and in that way you don't waste time on things that you already find really easy anyway. Also past papers are MUST. Try and put yourself to the test by attempting a past paper in exam conditions just to see whether your revision has paid off, and that way you'll be able to find loopholes in your learning and target where you need to put more attention on your revision. I hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CentricWinter
If you have a revision guide, do the questions at the end of each topic. Do tons of last papers to see if you do indeed have any gaps in your knowledge. I'm at a similar stage to you, except I'm just going over Unit 2 at the moment, since that's my first Biology exam. Anyway, I think this is the best way to surely 'cement' it. If you can't answer a question properly, then just make notes on that area. Again. Past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great idea, thanks :biggrin:
Original post by AlphaNick
Probably not gonna happen in one day. I've been doing B2 and B3 for the last 3 days ugh

If you have access to loads of past paper questions which are topic specific, like me, then that's what I'd do. Revise your stuff then answer as many exam questions as possible.

Really? Yikes D: B3 is not a fun topic D:

Out of curiosity, how do you have so many past paper questions? I've printed off all the past papers online, yet I still don't have that many
Original post by s100ia
I revised for my entire Physics GCSE in 3 days and ended up getting 98%. :smile:
- use the SPECIFICATION to make notes
- HIGHLIGHT the notes straight after you've done the topic to cement it in your head
- if you have time, then do some past papers
- wake up early on the day of the exam and read the HIGHLIGHTED bits of all your notes. (works best if your exam is in the morning) :biggrin: Best of luck x

That's impressive. Thanks for the tip though! :biggrin:
Really? Yikes D: B3 is not a fun topic D:

Out of curiosity, how do you have so many past paper questions? I've printed off all the past papers online, yet I still don't have that many

B3 is not that bad... C3 on the other hand :frown:
I did the full GCSE chemistry course yesterday. However, I did revise for about 8 hours (with breaks :colone:)! I made brief notes on each subject and did all the questions in the book. I got a few wrong - but I just revised them again and again until I got them all correct. I would suggest doing it in chunks like I did, eg, 2 hours revision, 30 minute break and again and again. Also, get up early at about 7 and eat a good breakfast as it will help you revise. Finally, you should do all the past papers.
Original post by CentricWinter
B3 is not that bad... C3 on the other hand :frown:

Nonono, C3 is fun :biggrin:
Original post by palmerme1
I did the full GCSE chemistry course yesterday. However, I did revise for about 8 hours (with breaks :colone:)! I made brief notes on each subject and did all the questions in the book. I got a few wrong - but I just revised them again and again until I got them all correct. I would suggest doing it in chunks like I did, eg, 2 hours revision, 30 minute break and again and again. Also, get up early at about 7 and eat a good breakfast as it will help you revise. Finally, you should do all the past papers.

So, when you say brief- how brief exactly? :tongue:
So, when you say brief- how brief exactly? :tongue:

Well, I think concise would be a better word to use. :colondollar:
Well, I think concise would be a better word to use. :colondollar:

Ah, okay. So say you had a topic such as the circulatory system- how concise would you make your notes? xD
Ah, okay. So say you had a topic such as the circulatory system- how concise would you make your notes? xD

I would try and cover one topic on one page. But I would write it out instead of typing it, as I find I remember it better. And btw, I don't do biology!
I would try and cover one topic on one page. But I would write it out instead of typing it, as I find I remember it better. And btw, I don't do biology!

Ah, okay :biggrin: Thanks :h:
Wait, really? I thought it was compulsory?
Ah, okay :biggrin: Thanks :h:
Wait, really? I thought it was compulsory?

Clearly not! :tongue:
When I saw you said the circulatory system, I thought, oh **** - what I have I missed out in chemistry. LOL!:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest