The Student Room Group

Are Bmw 1 series cheap to run

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iain_tk
How do you define cheap to run ?? My car can easily do 50MPG motorway driving, better than equivalent petrol cars. As for services and replacement parts yes taking it to any BMW garage your going to pay through the nose. However being 8+ years old now, parts are easy to come buy second hand. The build quality is better than a lot of cars so you would expect less problems, no ?

Obviously if a major problem were to arise then its going to be expensive, BMW or not.

Why would you ever compare the MPG between a petrol and a diesel? That's just silly.

From what I've seen, no I wouldn't expect less problems on a BMW, they have roughly the same amount of problems, but cost more to fix when things to do wrong.

As for expensive to run - take a BMW, and compare it to any similarly sized and spec'd equivalent car, the BMW will, most of the time, cost more to run than the other.
Reply 41
excellent advice**up thanks.
Reply 42
i was refering to valor advice cheers
Reply 43
Original post by Dan1909
Why would you ever compare the MPG between a petrol and a diesel? That's just silly.

From what I've seen, no I wouldn't expect less problems on a BMW, they have roughly the same amount of problems, but cost more to fix when things to do wrong.

As for expensive to run - take a BMW, and compare it to any similarly sized and spec'd equivalent car, the BMW will, most of the time, cost more to run than the other.

I fail to see how everyday running costs vary between a 1 series and a similar small car. If you think about what running costs include such as;
Fuel costs (same no matter what car)

Car insurance (in a lot of cases a 1 series may be equivalent or cheaper than a common young persons car)

Car Service and MOT Costs (MOTs cost the same as will a general services if taken to a independent garage)

Car Tax (near enough the same for most small cars unless it is a eco friendly car, in which case it cannot be compared to a 1 series.)

Car Wear and Tear Costs, such a engine oil, replacement bulb, tyres, washer blade. (All basically the same price not matter the car).

Depreciating Car Value, (1 series is one of the best cars to hold its value).

I will agree however that in the rare event that something disastrous were to happen to your car to engine the BMW might cost more to put right. However this will still be expensive no matter what car. I wouldn't consider these cases to be part of a cars running cost.
Reply 44
excellent advice iain
ITT. OP's age is 21, however his language, grammar and mental age resemble that of a 12 year old.

OP confirmed, as a troll.
Reply 46
I am not a troll i have the money to buy this car your just a hater
Reply 47
Original post by markread45
I am not a troll i have the money to buy this car your just a hater

Hardly. The way you present yourself really does make you seem like you're either a troll, or 8 years old.
Reply 48
I'm 17 and have a 1 series, not the cheapest to insure but running costs aren't bad
Original post by jackmoore
I'm 17 and have a 1 series, not the cheapest to insure but running costs aren't bad

It doesn't count if mummy and daddy are funding it :rolleyes:
Original post by BritBoyWonder
It doesn't count if mummy and daddy are funding it :rolleyes:

Relevance to the topic and how exactly?
A 135i M sport is not cheap to run.

a 114d is cheap to run.

If you're purely looking at consumables/fuel.

Not ashamed to say I like this

Would prefer pro media and M sport brakes though.
Original post by Alfissti
Relevance to the topic and how exactly?

just taking the piss mate
Reply 53
Poor mans beamer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Noble.
Bit of a stupid thing to say. MPG is MPG, some of the diesel 1-series have pretty damn good MPG, and the petrol engines aren't bad. As for them being more expensive to insure, no they're not, it's cheaper for me to insure a BMW 335i, the top of the range petrol BMW 3-series than it is for me to insure some models of the Corsa.

Are you serious? I'm torn between buying a Corsa or a BMW 3-series
Original post by Friggerpants
A 135i M sport is not cheap to run.

a 114d is cheap to run.

If you're purely looking at consumables/fuel.

Not ashamed to say I like this

Would prefer pro media and M sport brakes though.

hideous
Reply 56
do you think it's a good idea to buy a BMW 1 series 118d sport?? i sold my saxo in April and going to be saving up to xmas for a BMW without driving till then!!! ??
Original post by gbduo
The bottom of the range, smallest, cheapest, nastiest BMW is a classy car? It's a joke and other BMW drivers laugh at your poverty spec car. Have fun with that.

This ^^

And we do get a good chuckle when we glide past the 116i/d :P
Original post by jackmoore

You dont say!
Original post by Gothica
So your saying old people drive this?...s]

No, chavs drive Toyotas like that.

I think he was talking about the Toyota hatchbacks

Quick Reply

Latest