The Student Room Group

Hongkong Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kentjianz94
I am a Malaysian applicant applying through main track.
I took STPM (a Malaysian national examination) and has had my group interview in early March.
According to the official website of HKU Dental School, there are no fixed quotas for non-jupas applicants.
I seriously do hope that I can get an offer from them since there are not many dental schools to be considered.

Hey there! Am in the same situation as well! Am Malaysian too! Have done alevels.. did you apply with forecast results? Waiting for the replies, and most prob there will b another interview if we did well in the group discussion.. Tho i think i dint do that well in that, and as a whole group.. Hmm.. Just hoping for the best..
Original post by koyyj127
i recognized you from the 2014 dentistry application entry thread haah
I'm considered as a non jupas though I'm not really expecting an interview from them tbh because I'm a resitter x_x I'm not sure but I guess it is a requirement to know how to speak cantonese ?? since you have to talk to the patients in cantonese anyway :/ I'm not sure abt that because I'm from HK haha
I haven't received any news from them x_x My friend had an interview already for BDS (she's currently a uk uni student) , you??
Have you heard back from uk unis for dentistry btw?

well sadly my interview with qmu din go that well so yeah, missed that chance.. Tho its difficult as well, knowing that there was only few spots for intl applicants.. I did the group interview in malaysia and hopefully they will call me up for another interview soon (assuming everyone going into bds should have an individual interview) anyway, i think we are the same age! Not too old.. Eheh, owh n congrats on your uk uni offers! Its real difficult for intl students to even get one.. :biggrin:
Original post by Juzsomebody
Hey there! Am in the same situation as well! Am Malaysian too! Have done alevels.. did you apply with forecast results? Waiting for the replies, and most prob there will b another interview if we did well in the group discussion.. Tho i think i dint do that well in that, and as a whole group.. Hmm.. Just hoping for the best..

FYI, some Malaysian MBBS applicants were required to stay on spot after the group discussion for another individual interview. If there is an another interview for BDS applicants, we should have been required to stay as well.
I use my STPM actual results.
Original post by Manic8
Thank you for the excellent report,really appreciate it. I am a local non jupas raised in the uk by hk parents. I would like to ask are all halls like this in their ways ? I don't mind all the sport activities as I am into most sports but what I don't like the sound of are the meetings that are held into the middle of the night. Do these students not study ? The only reason I am wanting to stay at halls is the travelling, I live in the Tai Po area.
Another thing I am worried about is this bullying culture that you say goes on. I think I can hold my own but staying in halls I do not want to have to worry about this. Does this only happen at the more traditional hall like U hall,Ricci hall and St Johns ?
I am thinking of applying either to K Y Lee or Starr hall.... Once again thank you for your advice

The fact that you look Chinese would make them more inclined to demand you to do more. But if you pretend that you don't speak Cantonese, they probably won't ask for too much, even though it might also mean you don't make too many friends.

Yes, traditional halls pride themselves with those tedious traditional. SKY Lee considers themselves a traditional hall.

Starr is a big hall with lots of internationals so should actually be better.

I think as long as you understand Cantonese, you are expected to go to the meetings around midnight. People only finish their day fairly late, then they need to either practise for ball games or cultural teams, this is why meetings can only happen after 10 or 11. But it depends.

There have been more than a couple of stories with students living in hall in danger of being kicked out of university due to exorbitantly poor grades, but at the same time there are MBBS and law students staying in hall so I'm sure it depends on the individual. It is however quite obvious that people who live in hall tend not to attend lectures much. Some seniors in mine actually expected people to skip lectures to attend those sports matches.

But I think Starr should be fine. From what I heard it doesn't demand too much, and internationals never complained about them to me. But you may indeed need to transfer to another hall after a year if they do not consider for another you, which is possible if you do not 'contribute'. I have no idea what they do in their orientation camps (we aren't allowed to talk about them - so by disclosing the details in my previous post, I will already be considered a disgrace. But who cares about those foolish people?), but I should think it should be a lot less harsh than U-Hall's, and I don't think they last for ten days. Not to mention as an international student you may not need to join in, at least not in your first year.

I don't think 'bullying' happens during your day-to-day life, but it certainly depends on you and the people around you. There will be lots of expectations if you are a local. Not sure about an international.
FYI, some Malaysian MBBS applicants were required to stay on spot after the group discussion for another individual interview. If there is an another interview for BDS applicants, we should have been required to stay as well.
I use my STPM actual results.

Oooh... Icic.. Did you do your individual interview yet? Does it mean that we arent given a place for bds? Did u apply for bds only?
Oooh... Icic.. Did you do your individual interview yet? Does it mean that we arent given a place for bds? Did u apply for bds only?

Nope, I didnt receive any news from HKU regarding individual interview for BDS. I am not so sure though. I applied for chinese medicine as well.
Nope, I didnt receive any news from HKU regarding individual interview for BDS. I am not so sure though. I applied for chinese medicine as well.

Hmm... Hopefully we'll receive something soon.. Oh wow, chinese medicine.. Cool.. Where else did you apply?
Hmm... Hopefully we'll receive something soon.. Oh wow, chinese medicine.. Cool.. Where else did you apply?

I applied to NUS and some local universities for BDS. Thats all.

HKU has Chinese medicine? Or you meant CUHK/HKBU?
yes, there is chinese medicine in HKU.
I applied to NUS and some local universities for BDS. Thats all.

I see, heard anything from NUS? :confused: I applied there as well.....
(edited 10 years ago)
I see, heard anything from NUS? :confused: I applied there as well.....

Sadly, no. Application is still being processed as shown there. Haha, just patiently wait for it....
Just got conditional offers of A*A*A* for Global Business and AAA for BBA from HKUST
Anyone also got offer for GBus? :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
yes, there is chinese medicine in HKU.

Thanks. Never knew.

Would it still be an MBBS?
Original post by poydtreechada
Just got conditional offers of A*A*A* for Global Business and AAA for BBA from HKUST
Anyone also got offer for GBus? :tongue:

Congrats, it's a very competitive programme.
Original post by clh_hilary
Thanks. Never knew.

Would it still be an MBBS?

I do not think so
It's an individual bachelor program
http://www.scm.hku.hk/
I do not think so
It's an individual bachelor program
http://www.scm.hku.hk/

IC.

Interesting...
Original post by clh_hilary
Congrats, it's a very competitive programme.

Thanks! I also got nominated for Scholarships!
Well... My mum is more excited than I am LOL
Reply 418
Original post by poydtreechada
Thanks! I also got nominated for Scholarships!
Well... My mum is more excited than I am LOL

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 419
well sadly my interview with qmu din go that well so yeah, missed that chance.. Tho its difficult as well, knowing that there was only few spots for intl applicants.. I did the group interview in malaysia and hopefully they will call me up for another interview soon (assuming everyone going into bds should have an individual interview) anyway, i think we are the same age! Not too old.. Eheh, owh n congrats on your uk uni offers! Its real difficult for intl students to even get one.. :biggrin:

Gd luck for your hku application :smile: where else did you apply to in the uK? :O I got rejected post interview too for Barts too :'( (I thought my interview went well and actually it was the best interview performance among my 3 interviews :/) Was really disappointed because living in London would be absolutely amazinggg :O
Anyway HKU dentistry seems really lenient for missing the offer grades, I know 2 ppl who missed their offer grades last year and hku still took them in :O I don't think they will consider me tbh but I might ring them up after a level results are released for re-consideration :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending