Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Simplify

\dfrac{3x^2 - x - 2}{x/2 + 1/3}

\dfrac{18x^2 - 6x - 12}{3x + 2}

\dfrac{(3x+2)(x-1)}{(3x + 2)}

{(x-1)}

Why does multiplying the fraction by 6 to get rid of the fractions in the denominator give the answer 6(x-1) and not (x-1).

Am I right to say I'm still correct by obtaining (x-1) as the answer since I multiplied each term in the numerator by 6 and then factorised the quadratic?
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Noah~)
Simplify

Why does multiplying the fraction by 6 to get rid of the fractions in the denominator give the answer 6(x-1) and not (x-1).

Am I right to say I'm still correct by obtaining (x-1) as the answer since I multiplied each term in the numerator by 6 and then factorised the quadratic?
\dfrac{18x^2-6x-2}{3x+2} right?

How did you factorize?

Edit: No, you're wrong. You forgot a 6 in your second bracket. (3x+2)(x-1) clearly does not give 18x^2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iowan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Noah~)
Simplify

\dfrac{18x^2 - 6x - 12}{3x + 2}

\dfrac{(3x+2)(x-1)}{(3x + 2)}

{(x-1)}

18x^2 - 6x - 12 if you factorise it gives you 6(3x+2)(x-1) because if you expand (3x+2)(x-1) you get 3x^2 -x -2 so you just factorised it wrong
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Noah~)

As the others have said

You have not factorised the new quadratic
Noah~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iowan)
18x^2 - 6x - 12 if you factorise it gives you 6(3x+2)(x-1) because if you expand (3x+2)(x-1) you get 3x^2 -x -2 so you just factorised it wrong
(Original post by TenOfThem)
As the others have said

You have not factorised the new quadratic
(Original post by majmuh24)
\dfrac{18x^2-6x-2}{3x+2} right?

How did you factorize?

Edit: No, you're wrong. You forgot a 6 in your second bracket. (3x+2)(x-1) clearly does not give 18x^2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Factorising the new quadratic 18x^2 - 6x - 12 using the quadratic formula gives (3x+2)(x-1) (when expanded this does not give the quadratic term factorised back). Since the quadratic formula assumes Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0, whereas, in our case the term is not equal to 0 is the reason for me being incorrect (as I used the quadratic formula to factorise).

Posting this so you can confirm if I have the correct intuition behind this.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Noah~)
Factorising the new quadratic 18x^2 - 6x - 12 using the quadratic formula gives (3x+2)(x-1) (when expanded this does not give the quadratic term factorised back). Does the quadratic formula assume Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0? Whereas, in our case the term is not equal to 0.
No it doesn't. You can't just divide through unless it's an equation and equal to something, you have to take a constant outside of the brackets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Noah~)
Factorising the new quadratic 18x^2 - 6x - 12 using the quadratic formula gives (3x+2)(x-1) (when expanded this does not give the quadratic term factorised back). Does the quadratic formula assume Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0? Whereas, in our case the term is not equal to 0.
You seem very confused

The quadratic formula gives solutions - it does not factorise

I am sure that you know that 18x^2 - 6x - 12 \not= (3x+2)(x-1)

And that, in fact

18x^2 - 6x - 12 = 6(3x^2 - x - 2) = 6(3x+2)(x-1)
Noah~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
You seem very confused

The quadratic formula gives solutions - it does not factorise

I am sure that you know that 18x^2 - 6x - 12 \not= (3x+2)(x-1)

And that, in fact

18x^2 - 6x - 12 = 6(3x^2 - x - 2) = 6(3x+2)(x-1)
I already know that.

I see where I went wrong and that was using the quadratic formula to factorise (like you said it does not factorise but give solutions).

18x^2  - 6x - 12 = (18x + 12)(x - 1) = 6(3x + 2)(x - 1)

Hence

\dfrac{(18x + 12)(x - 1)}{(3x + 2)} = \dfrac{6(3x + 2)(x - 1)}{(3x + 2)} = 6(x - 1)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads