The Student Room Group

Trying to transition towards a vegan diet?

I'm finding it hard because I've eaten meat all my life, but have decided to transition toward a vegan diet for my health. Anybody have any tips to make it a bit easier and to find v friendly foods?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What exactly are you finding hard? It's easier to answer specifc questions

I think it can help to do it slowly rather than all at once. You might want to be vegan right now but if you need to discover new meals and foods then it can be hard because you cut lots out without knowing what to add so you end up with a rather restricted diet. I think that's the reason a lot of people fail at becoming vegan. You kind of do need to accept that for a while shopping and cooking will be more effort than before because you need to learn.

Finding out what foods are vegan is hard at first, it becomes really easy eventually because you just know and don't need to go around reading the label. A lot of it is just the experience of reading all the labels and you will make mistakes but if you are looking for something specific then google it, you'll find various lists of particular food types and supermarket vegan lists.

Good vegan recipe sites might help, I'm a fan of Vegan Dad and Post Punk Kitchen but it will depend on your personal tastes. The Vegan Society's resource page good be useful. Maybe there's a local vegan facebook group which will be good for finding out which places are vegan friendly. Jack Norris (google 'Jack Norris RD') is probably the best source of evidence based nutrition info.
Reply 2
Why? Vegan diets are ridiculous.
Reply 3
That reminds me, you'll probably also need to learn to deal with other people criticising and asking the same questions all the time (even when they are entirely well intentioned it does get old). People who struggle with that seem to find Vegan Freak by Bob and Jenna Torres useful.
I am a member of PETA- people for the eating of tasty animals. Just joking.

What is your attitude towards nuts in general-walnuts, almonds, pecans ?

Peace.
Reply 5
For your health? There is nothing wrong with meat.
Reply 6
I was the worlds biggest meat-eater when I was young. I went veggie when I left home at the age of 17 and a couple of years later, vegan. I have had the odd relapse here and there but can safely say I've been vegan now for the best part of two decades. The trick is to develop a bit of an interest in nutrition. At its basic level, your body needs three things - protein, carbohydrates and lipids. Vitamins are needed to help enzymes effectively process what you ingest into these three categories. Basically, just learn what your body needs to do its job efficiently. Your body will be in tip-top shape in no time. Beware faddy diets, though. Avoid the junk food vegan diet because you'll end up just as unhealthy as your average MaccyD scoffer.

It can be a bit of a challenge to start with but a whole new world of food will open up to you in time. The average omni probably hasn't experienced the delights of raw vegan 'cheese'cake or home-made chilli seitan.

If you need any advice or recipes feel free to hit me up with a message :smile:
Reply 7
But there is coop doughnuts, coop apple pies, hobnobs, gingernuts, bourbons, jus roll pain au chocolat, fry's peppermint/orange creams, loads of dark chocolate, raspberry ruffles, starburst, jammie dodgers, fox' coconut biscuits plus the stuff you get in free from sections and health food shops (which are mostly all secretly vegan junk food shops). Though I'm not in the UK right now so double check before eating if vegan

(not having a go at you, I don't really care what you eat, just people often think being vegan means no tasty stuff so wouldn't the impression of no biscuits/sweets)
Reply 8
"For your health", lol so misinformed it's priceless
Reply 9
Original post by bertstare
"For your health", lol so misinformed it's priceless

Your response smacks of ignorance which I find even more priceless. I suppose you don't keep abreast of the latest research with regards to health concerns over the consumption of intensively-farmed and processed meats?

There is a saying 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'.
Reply 10
Sure thing. I'll make a post in a bit :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Tim TIC
intensively-farmed and processed meats? .

Doubt you have any idea what these terms even mean, outside of what you read on a yahoo.com news article

Show me the causative link between meat eating when part of a balanced, calorie controlled diet, and ANY disease. Funny how vegans are the ones who are forced to take supplements (ironic since they claim their diet is so "natural" and "healthy") to ensure they don't end up anaemic
Reply 12
Original post by bertstare
Doubt you have any idea what these terms even mean, outside of what you read on a yahoo.com news article

Show me the causative link between meat eating when part of a balanced, calorie controlled diet, and ANY disease. Funny how vegans are the ones who are forced to take supplements (ironic since they claim their diet is so "natural" and "healthy") to ensure they don't end up anaemic

You like your ill-informed assumptions, don't you? I don't take any supplements and (as my original post on this thread quite clearly states) I have been vegan for the best part of two decades. I've never suffered from anaemia or any other deficiency. In fact, it's safe to say that I am considerably fitter than the average forty year old. My vegan diet served me well as a bike messenger and my gym sessions are by no means inhibited by my lack of meat.

It is not my responsibility to educate you. If you are genuinely interested in studying the links between diet and well-being, you have the world wide web at your disposal. I suggest you use it (preferably prior to making inflammatory, uneducated sweeping statements).

You might want to lose the condescending attitude if you want to be taken seriously. I deeply doubt you will have anything constructive to contribute to this thread so our conversation ends here. Have a pleasant day.
Reply 13
Original post by Tim TIC
You like your ill-informed assumptions, don't you? I don't take any supplements and (as my original post on this thread quite clearly states) I have been vegan for the best part of two decades. I've never suffered from anaemia or any other deficiency. In fact, it's safe to say that I am considerably fitter than the average forty year old. My vegan diet served me well as a bike messenger and my gym sessions are by no means inhibited by my lack of meat.

It is not my responsibility to educate you. If you are genuinely interested in studying the links between diet and well-being, you have the world wide web at your disposal. I suggest you use it (preferably prior to making inflammatory, uneducated sweeping statements).

You might want to lose the condescending attitude if you want to be taken seriously. I deeply doubt you will have anything constructive to contribute to this thread so our conversation ends here. Have a pleasant day.

I'm more than aware of the majority of research looking at diets and health. Not one has ever shown a causative link between meat consumption in itself and disease or mortality. If you want to be vegan for moral reasons then fine, your choice, but to seriously think cutting out meat is going to make you healthier, that is nothing more than blatant scientific ignorance and delusion

I simply asked you to provide some evidence to back up your argument yet you seem to think you are too good to have to do it. But I knew you were talking out of your ass anyway so I wasn't holding my breath for actual proof of your claims
Reply 14
To the OP,

Here's another thing you will encounter during your foray into veganism - people will make grossly ill-informed statements and then place the onus of proof to the contrary on you! It gets boring after a while. You eventually learn to walk away from discussions of that nature as no good will ever come of them.
Reply 15
Original post by Tim TIC
To the OP,

Here's another thing you will encounter during your foray into veganism - people will make grossly ill-informed statements and then place the onus of proof to the contrary on you! It gets boring after a while. You eventually learn to walk away from discussions of that nature as no good will ever come of them.

Still can't provide a singly study to back up his claim that vegan diets are inherently healthier (which actually puts the burden of proof on you, my friend). So resorts to the "lalalalala I'm not listening" approach. Not surpising
You can do it step by step.
Reply 17
Original post by VelveteenBee
I'm finding it hard because I've eaten meat all my life, but have decided to transition toward a vegan diet for my health. Anybody have any tips to make it a bit easier and to find v friendly foods?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Transitioning into a vegan diet is different for everyone. Some people prefer to do it gradually by changing one thing (e.g. switching from cow's milk to soy/almond/oat etc), then another and so on. For me, I did it all at once which worked well for me, but again you may be different. There's no right or wrong way, just a case of figuring out what's best for you :smile:

Take a look at here: http://www.guidetoveganliving.org.uk/adopting-a-vegan-lifestyle/how-to-go-vegan/overview/ for more advice, info and shopping ideas etc.

It's not so much a case of 'finding' vegan food because most simple food is vegan, it's when you look more into the processed stuff it gets less likely. I think they key is to buy food in it's most simple form with few ingredients: a range of veg, fruit, nuts, dried pasta, canned beans etc. Of course there are vegan versions of food, such as yogurts, ice cream, cheese etc. But you do not have to start buying processed 'meat replacing' food in order to have a healthy vegan diet, or start shopping exclusively at Holland & Barrett (although I swear I'm solely keeping my local branch afloat :tongue:)

I think the best approach is to have an open mind and keep trying new things - different milks, vegetables, fruits, nuts, recipies and you'll eventually get into your own swing of things once you find out what you like. Becoming vegan will certainly make you more creative when cooking/preparing meals, it's awesome when you get the hang of it! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me :smile: all the best.

Other sites:
10 go vegan tips
vegankit
The Vegan Society

Recipe blogs:
ohsheglows
minimalist baker
vegan village
no meat athlete
veg web
(edited 10 years ago)
I've started of as pescetarian, been doing it for about a month. I think it could, be easy to go for a vegan diet if you take supplements.
Reply 19
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
I've started of as pescetarian, been doing it for about a month. I think it could, be easy to go for a vegan diet if you take supplements.

The only supplements it is generally advised vegans need are B12 (drink a few glasses of soy milk or some other fortified food and you're good or an actual vitamin), omega 3 if you don't eat walnuts every day (flax/lin seed oil, needed for vegetarians too) and iodine (or eat seaweed every day or supplement but be careful not go get too much). So really you could avoid actual pills.

This combined with a balanced diet would allow you to have ideal nutrition. I always feel the need to emphasis ideal. Most people on the planet probably don't have ideal nutrition, not even just meaning people who don't have the access to food we do. Vegans probably have a higher %age of thinking about nutrition from having gone through the diet change process but there's also plenty vegans who don't think about what they eat and are fine. A % of meat eaters don't think about what they eat so won't have ideal nutrition and are also fine.

There's really nothing special about becoming vegan that means you need to think more about what you eat, everyone should. It's just the things vegans need to think about are different to those of meat eaters.

Quick Reply

Latest