The Student Room Group

Biology a level

Basically i believe that i am ready for my aqa as unit 1 biology exam, could everyone ask me questions, and i will then answer them, relating to biology questions, thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by madting101
Basically i believe that i am ready for my aqa as unit 1 biology exam, could everyone ask me questions, and i will then answer them, relating to biology questions, thanks.

Explain the different types of lung diseases and their causes.
Reply 2
The different types of lung diseases are tuberculosis, pulmonary fibrosis, emphysema and asthma. Tuberculosis are rod shaped bacterium known as mybacterium tuberculosis and mybacterium bovis. This occurs from the bacteria accumilating in the upper region of the lungs where there is plentiful oxygen..... LOOOL I know this but ill literally be writting paragraphs
Reply 3
Could you ask a different questions, lung diseases are very straight forward
Reply 4
The different types of lung diseases are tuberculosis, pulmonary fibrosis, emphysema and asthma. Tuberculosis are rod shaped bacterium known as mybacterium tuberculosis and mybacterium bovis. This occurs from the bacteria accumilating in the upper region of the lungs where there is plentiful oxygen..... LOOOL I know this but ill literally be writting paragraphs

It's myobacterium by the way.

Also, you need to mention that granulomas form.
After post primary TB, when the bodies defenses weak, they multiply and damage the lung tissue by a persistent cough thus forming scar tissue. This decreases the surface area making alveolar recoil inefficient and the expulsion of air harder.
The disease can spread all over the body.

Pulmonary Fibrosis is when the lining of the lung epithelium starts to thicken, due to this diffusion distance increases and oxygen diffusion is inefficient.
SOB occurs, the elasticity of the lungs is decreased.

Asthma is just an inflammatory response to some particulate in the air which has reached the bronchioles are started to irritate.
Great amount of mucus is produced,
The bronchioles muscle starts to contract hence reducing the volume of air reaching the lungs per breath. This results in difficulty in breathing.

Emphysema elasticity damaged, lack of elastin, alveoli damaged, recoil doesn't occur properly. Decreased surface area. reduced gas exchange occurs.

Sob
Chronic cough.
Fatigue
Pain discomfort
Weakened immune system
Reply 5
Could you ask a different questions, lung diseases are very straight forward

Erm, let me think, there's nothing really that hard in unit 1.

Explain what would happen if we were to insert a pace maker into a patient's heart.
How would it improve the person's lifestyle.
Reply 6
Have you done unit 2?
Reply 7
Well, firstly the pacemaker is the sinoatral node. The pace maker would allow the blood and other nutrients to be efficiently transported to all parts of the body. Yes we have still got some of unit 2 to be done. We have unit 16 and 17 left to do.
Reply 8
Well, firstly the pacemaker is the sinoatral node. The pace maker would allow the blood and other nutrients to be efficiently transported to all parts of the body. Yes we have still got some of unit 2 to be done. We have unit 16 and 17 left to do.

To be honest, you are lacking the detail.

Emphasis a bit more and use keywords.
Reply 9
is this question basically explaining the route of the blood from the sinoatrial node involving the atrioventricular node and septum? and bundle of his etc?
Reply 10
i mean asking for*
Reply 11

I think he was referring to artificial pacemaker rather than the SAN. Why would a pacemaker 'allow the blood and other nutrients to be efficiently transported to all parts of the body'?

Having done AS AQA biology myself, I can tell you that you will need to pack far more detail into your answers than you have in the previous posts. AQA are really hot on their key terms so you will need to make sure that you include as many as possible in order to pick up the marks!
Reply 12
Oh right, yeah i will get into the habbit of the use of key words and detail more. I mean with previous past papers, they seem very easy
Reply 13
as i score very high grades
Reply 14
However i need someone with questions that will really test me
Reply 15
as i score very high grades

That's good to hear :smile:

What is atheroma and how can it lead to myocardial infarction?
Reply 16
This is usually a 6 mark question
Antheroma is a cholesterol. Accumilations of antheroma in the artery wall will increase the blood pressure. Antheromas could leas to thrombosis by blood clots and also aneyrusm. The accumilations of antheroma cause the coronary arteries to become blocked. This then reduces the amount of oxygen being supplied to the heart muscle for respiration. As a result the heart muscle dies by a heart attack/ mycordial infarction
Reply 17
Could also state the high lipid concentration in the blood stream for a cheeky mark Lool
Reply 18
Original post by joeymr
That's good to hear :smile:

What is atheroma and how can it lead to myocardial infarction?

My turn.

Atheroma formed via the process of atherosclerosis.
A high content of fat in the diet can lead to a build up of LDL. These, stay and build up in the endothelial layer of the artery. The plaque usually starts to build up and decay, there's an immune response involved. A fibrous cap is formed, when the cap is broken, it may damage the endothelial layer and cause blood cells to become trapped, this can form a thrombosis and it can block the coronary artery causing a lacking of oxygen to reach the cell and reduced amount of ATP production, this can lead to fewer heart contractions and therefore death. May also form an aneurysm .
Reply 19
Could also state the high lipid concentration in the blood stream for a cheeky mark Lool

You can say fatty deposits or LDL. ( Low density lipoproteins)

Quick Reply

Latest