I have an offer :biggrin:

so happy, i'm crying of happiness

Woohoooo congrats :biggrin: where from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _sparks
All praise to god!!!!

I have an offer :biggrin:

so happy, i'm crying of happiness

Well done! I saw your posts in the medicine forum and you kept on believing:biggrin:
Original post by itsmagic
Woohoooo congrats :biggrin: where from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! SGUL, still waiting to hear back from UEA :smile:

Original post by Miel Purple
Well done! I saw your posts in the medicine forum and you kept on believing:biggrin:

Thank you very much :biggrin:
PS: couldn't rep you're post, apparently I've been upvoting you a lot recently, maybe in the sainsburys thread :P
Original post by _sparks
Thanks! SGUL, still waiting to hear back from UEA :smile:

Thank you very much :biggrin:
PS: couldn't rep you're post, apparently I've been upvoting you a lot recently, maybe in the sainsburys thread :P

Ooooo no worries!

Choose UEA:wink:
Original post by Miel Purple
Ooooo no worries!

Choose UEA:wink:

Need to get an offer first from there mate :smile:
Did you firm UEA?
Original post by _sparks
Need to get an offer first from there mate :smile:
Did you firm UEA?

Haha true. :tongue:
Yeah I've firmed UEA.

Btw do you work on tills at sainsburys? I'm thinking of going for a petrol vacancy but I really don't wanna work on tills :tongue:
This thread has definitely convinced me to take a gap year then reapply rather than go to my 5th choice and reapply/graduate entry so thank you!

I can see i'm going to have many more questions now about what to do from now though, like what sort of things can I do for the year?
Am I allowed to just work in retail or do I have to really make the most of my gap year from a medical perspective? Can I go abroad and study something medicine related? (any websites with opportunities like that?)
Reply 4407
Original post by blissfully
This thread has definitely convinced me to take a gap year then reapply rather than go to my 5th choice and reapply/graduate entry so thank you!

I can see i'm going to have many more questions now about what to do from now though, like what sort of things can I do for the year?
Am I allowed to just work in retail or do I have to really make the most of my gap year from a medical perspective? Can I go abroad and study something medicine related? (any websites with opportunities like that?)

Something medical would be ideal I guess, especially at interviews you'll be able to incorporate a lot of relevant experiences and things you've seen and learnt. Keep an eye on the NHS jobs website, actually start applying to lots now, my email has been spammed by HCA jobs in London, I've started mine recently and it's good clinical insight plus the pay is decent :smile: Apologies if you don't live in London but I'm sure there are other posts around, volunteering at hospices or hospitals is a good one for exp. but if you want money on your gap year, many have gone and done retail (myself included) and if you plan your year well, you can do many things and save enough for travelling at the end if you so desire.

Glad to see you're going to re-apply, this is what I call a true medical applicant :wink: :biggrin: Best of luck!
Original post by PG593
Something medical would be ideal I guess, especially at interviews you'll be able to incorporate a lot of relevant experiences and things you've seen and learnt. Keep an eye on the NHS jobs website, actually start applying to lots now, my email has been spammed by HCA jobs in London, I've started mine recently and it's good clinical insight plus the pay is decent :smile: Apologies if you don't live in London but I'm sure there are other posts around, volunteering at hospices or hospitals is a good one for exp. but if you want money on your gap year, many have gone and done retail (myself included) and if you plan your year well, you can do many things and save enough for travelling at the end if you so desire.

Glad to see you're going to re-apply, this is what I call a true medical applicant :wink: :biggrin: Best of luck!

Thanks, even more motivation!:biggrin:
I live half an hour train away from London so it's always a possibility! So you've been doing retail and HCA throughout the year? and if you don't mind me asking whats the pay like for a HCA and is it competitive?:colondollar:
Reply 4409
Thanks, even more motivation!:biggrin:
I live half an hour train away from London so it's always a possibility! So you've been doing retail and HCA throughout the year? and if you don't mind me asking whats the pay like for a HCA and is it competitive?:colondollar:

Oh that's good :smile: I've been on many jobs haha, started off in July 2013 and currently this is my 3rd proper paid job, did lots of volunteering in between. I actually was teaching for most of my gap year, personal preference but I wish I had gone for a HCA sooner as the pay does help you work towards certain things (car insurance, tuition fees etc.). The pay varies across different bands but my HCA job currently, I get paid like £9.10 per hour working 37.5 hours a week full time. I think it's a bit of a hit and miss, I had to apply to many before I was shortlisted and it's all about answering their questions according to the person specification for the job etc. like what experiences you have of being a leader/team player actually very similar questions to medical interviews so the more you do in there, the more confident I'm sure you'll feel. That was my experience anyway but honestly whatever you do, get a job, the worst thing anyone can do on their gap year is play video games whilst waiting to hear from your choices - you feel like a bum and you're not gaining anything. A year is a long time so use it wisely :biggrin: You'll enjoy the freedom but the main thing of the job for me, it helps with the waiting game, takes your mind off all the horrible thoughts. Gym is another healthy escapism but again that's what I like to do :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PG593
Oh that's good :smile: I've been on many jobs haha, started off in July 2013 and currently this is my 3rd proper paid job, did lots of volunteering in between. I actually was teaching for most of my gap year, personal preference but I wish I had gone for a HCA sooner as the pay does help you work towards certain things (car insurance, tuition fees etc.). The pay varies across different bands but my HCA job currently, I get paid like £9.10 per hour working 37.5 hours a week full time. I think it's a bit of a hit and miss, I had to apply to many before I was shortlisted and it's all about answering their questions according to the person specification for the job etc. like what experiences you have of being a leader/team player actually very similar questions to medical interviews so the more you do in there, the more confident I'm sure you'll feel. That was my experience anyway but honestly whatever you do, get a job, the worst thing anyone can do on their gap year is play video games whilst waiting to hear from your choices - you feel like a bum and you're not gaining anything. A year is a long time so use it wisely :biggrin: You'll enjoy the freedom but the main thing of the job for me, it helps with the waiting game, takes your mind off all the horrible thoughts. Gym is another healthy escapism but again that's what I like to do :wink:

looks like you've been quite successful then, are you reapplying for 2014 or 2015 entry? and in terms of HCA does it take long to get the job? I've heard people applying after results day and only getting the job around January?
looks like you've been quite successful then, are you reapplying for 2014 or 2015 entry? and in terms of HCA does it take long to get the job? I've heard people applying after results day and only getting the job around January?

about 3 months is about right. i started applying in march, got the job by may, didnt start till july.
Reply 4412

I think luck does play a part definitely in the job applications so keep trying, don't feel disheartened if you don't hear back from half of them. I think some people can be a bit ageist especially for school leavers in terms of exp. etc. but not everyone is like that thankfully.

I was a re-applicant for the 2014 entry and it was the best decision of my life :smile: :biggrin: The red tape does take awhile, I should feel pretty happy with mine, only took a month before I started. Guess it varies between NHS trusts.
Hi everyone, I'm reapplying for 2015 entry (dentistry) and I was wondering, when should I start applying for jobs on the nhs website? That is, if I want to start in september.
And also, do you think they take school leavers for jobs such as receptionist in a dental/gp practice? Thanks
So at around what sort of time should I start applying for this HCA position as I've seen some apply in March, some not until after results day, when is ideal?
Also is the only available medical role HCA or are there potentially others that are different but still take students around our calibre?
Reply 4415
Original post by GirlWithADream
Hi everyone, I'm reapplying for 2015 entry (dentistry) and I was wondering, when should I start applying for jobs on the nhs website? That is, if I want to start in september.
And also, do you think they take school leavers for jobs such as receptionist in a dental/gp practice? Thanks

So at around what sort of time should I start applying for this HCA position as I've seen some apply in March, some not until after results day, when is ideal?
Also is the only available medical role HCA or are there potentially others that are different but still take students around our calibre?

For both of you:
If you are taking your A2 exams this summer then make that your priority. These exams are your bread and butter, you’re going nowhere without them so those must take precedence. The next thing if I were you I’d do is obviously get feedback from your unsuccessful choices and as the summer kicks off, take a wee break and then turn your attention to the UKCAT. Practice in goodtime and preferably take it early like around the end of July. This gives you lots of time to carefully research and consider where you want to apply, this part is so crucial, so give yourselves plenty of time for that. At least this way you would have cleared two big things off the re-applicant bucket list :wink: (A2 exams and UKCAT).
Now you can turn your attention to planning your gap year constructively and there are plenty of jobs, just keep updated on the NHS jobs website, make an account and get started around the beginning of August. In regard to being a receptionist at GP/Dental/Surgery, if you can get it then great. I was offered a receptionist job but turned it down. I do know that for jobs like that they are seeking people who usually commit to something like 6 months minimum, so be sure it’s what you want to do. Apart from a HCA, other jobs off the top of my head you can go for are Clinical Support Worker, Porter, Nursing assistant, Laboratory assistant etc. If you check the NHS site, you will quickly see which ones you’re eligible for in terms of experience needed. Btw don’t feel obligated to follow this verbatim, it’s merely a suggestion of what I’d do. Most important thing is to get the grades, so if I had exams, don’t worry yourself with jobs, you’ve got tons of time for jobs so don’t stress too much about it now, you just have to be pro-active about it when you’re at that stage. So to clarify, I’d start applying for jobs and planning my gap year at the beginning of August so by the time your application is sent off at the end of September/early October, I’d be pretty sure what I’m doing even if it’s just volunteering. Nevertheless all the best to both of you and here’s a link to lift your spirits that there are a lot of jobs advertised, you just have to keep looking and taking every opportunity that comes your way. :biggrin:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?pli=1#inbox/1455427a8524144a
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PG593
For both of you:
If you are taking your A2 exams this summer then make that your priority. These exams are your bread and butter, you’re going nowhere without them so those must take precedence. The next thing if I were you I’d do is obviously get feedback from your unsuccessful choices and as the summer kicks off, take a wee break and then turn your attention to the UKCAT. Practice in goodtime and preferably take it early like around the end of July. This gives you lots of time to carefully research and consider where you want to apply, this part is so crucial, so give yourselves plenty of time for that. At least this way you would have cleared two big things off the re-applicant bucket list :wink: (A2 exams and UKCAT).
Now you can turn your attention to planning your gap year constructively and there are plenty of jobs, just keep updated on the NHS jobs website, make an account and get started around the beginning of August. In regard to being a receptionist at GP/Dental/Surgery, if you can get it then great. I was offered a receptionist job but turned it down. I do know that for jobs like that they are seeking people who usually commit to something like 6 months minimum, so be sure it’s what you want to do. Apart from a HCA, other jobs off the top of my head you can go for are Clinical Support Worker, Porter, Nursing assistant, Laboratory assistant etc. If you check the NHS site, you will quickly see which ones you’re eligible for in terms of experience needed. Btw don’t feel obligated to follow this verbatim, it’s merely a suggestion of what I’d do. Most important thing is to get the grades, so if I had exams, don’t worry yourself with jobs, you’ve got tons of time for jobs so don’t stress too much about it now, you just have to be pro-active about it when you’re at that stage. So to clarify, I’d start applying for jobs and planning my gap year at the beginning of August so by the time your application is sent off at the end of September/early October, I’d be pretty sure what I’m doing even if it’s just volunteering. Nevertheless all the best to both of you and here’s a link to lift your spirits that there are a lot of jobs advertised, you just have to keep looking and taking every opportunity that comes your way. :biggrin:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?pli=1#inbox/1455427a8524144a

you've been so helpful, thank you! Looks like I;m going to have to work hard and get AAA then!
Being re-applicants, I'm pretty sure most of you would have already achieved the required grades. So do all of you with offers, have UCAS Track show an "unconditional offer"? or did it change to unconditional after completing and sending them the health forms & criminal checks etc.?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by _sparks
Being re-applicants, I'm pretty sure most of you would have already achieved the required grades. So does all of you with offers, have UCAS Track show an "unconditional offer"? or did it change to unconditional after completing and sending them the health forms & criminal checks etc.?

It's unconditional for us.

What does it say on your track?
Reply 4419
Original post by _sparks
Being re-applicants, I'm pretty sure most of you would have already achieved the required grades. So does all of you with offers, have UCAS Track show an "unconditional offer"? or did it change to unconditional after completing and sending them the health forms & criminal checks etc.?

It depends on how the uni puts it through mine was unconditional and then it has like a section regarding health checks but i know some say conditional and on the conditions is only states health checks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending