The Student Room Group

Woman in black- official gcse thread

Share your tips, notes or any questions you have on the book Woman in Black by Susan Hill.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well i'm glad my class aren't the only class doing this ****ty book..
Reply 2
It's a terrible book isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by FREYA2898
It's a terrible book isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its just so boring. Incessant detail on Arthur's lunch, pathetic attempts to create fear. Its terrible. And we're the only class out of maybe 6 doing it..
Reply 4
Hopefully the question on it is going to be easy! What do you think might come up?
Reply 5
Original post by FREYA2898
Hopefully the question on it is going to be easy! What do you think might come up?

Its probably going to be how Hill creates fear or isolation, or to contrast monk's piece/crythin Gifford with Eel marsh house
At last, other people that are doing it! It seems to be very unpopular (and I'm nor really surprised :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
did you know about the revision guide? i got it a few days ago and it's not bad :P
it is such a crappy book though :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by sparklingTurkey
did you know about the revision guide? i got it a few days ago and it's not bad :P
it is such a crappy book though :frown:

Would you recommend it? I'm only really aiming for a B in literature...
Original post by Bobjim12
Would you recommend it? I'm only really aiming for a B in literature...

Yeah i think it covers pretty much everything (i haven't read it all yet though :3) it has sections such as "how to tackle the exam" and practice questions/sample essays etc so if you managed to absorb everything it would definitely help secure you an A/A* depending on what you put in of course :colondollar:

Because all of my other revision guides are from CGP i think i have got used to the way they present things so this one seems a little odd at first but still i personally like it and would recommend it, just a shame the exams on such a bad book really. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by sparklingTurkey
Yeah i think it covers pretty much everything (i haven't read it all yet though :3) it has sections such as "how to tackle the exam" and practice questions/sample essays etc so if you managed to absorb everything it would definitely help secure you an A/A* depending on what you put in of course :colondollar:

Because all of my other revision guides are from CGP i think i have got used to the way they present things so this one seems a little odd at first but still i personally like it and would recommend it, just a shame the exams on such a bad book really. :biggrin:

Yeah my coursework was like B/C grade so i'd have to do pretty well in the exam. Are there example questions with answers?
Original post by Bobjim12
Yeah my coursework was like B/C grade so i'd have to do pretty well in the exam. Are there example questions with answers?

Yeah! At the end of each chapter there are a few questions e.g. "What do you learn about Kipps' occupation in this chapter" and then at the back of the book there are answers to the questions.

Then the "sample essay" section contains a C grade and an A* grade essay for 2 exam style questions and at the end of the chapter it tells you what will turn a C grade essay into an A* essay :smile:
Reply 13
The phillip allan literature guide is really good! It gives you detailed explanation of themes, characters etc. It's really good if you are aiming for A/A* as it gives you sample essays
My friend managed to write a 2 page essay about the sky being described as looking as blue as a blackbirds egg. She got 28/30 as well.
So glad to see that other people are looking at this book too!
Reply 15
Does anyone have an A* essay??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by chocoholic97
My friend managed to write a 2 page essay about the sky being described as looking as blue as a blackbirds egg. She got 28/30 as well.
So glad to see that other people are looking at this book too!

How is that even possible..
Did this book last year and I really liked it! The thing my teacher told us time and again was that if we didn't write about pathetic fallacy and foreshadowing we would fail. I got an A* in it anyway so feel free to ask any questions :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by SeaweedBrain
Did this book last year and I really liked it! The thing my teacher told us time and again was that if we didn't write about pathetic fallacy and foreshadowing we would fail. I got an A* in it anyway so feel free to ask any questions :biggrin:

What were your questions? And what were your main points? I'm just aiming for a B but the more detail i suppose the better! Thanks.
Original post by SeaweedBrain

Is there a specific structure you had for your essay (and pleeeease don't just say PEE paragraphs :colonhash:)? What can you write about tension and effect (apart from the typical PF and foreshadowing, which I think is what every teacher says, lolz :tongue:)

Thanks for helping! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest