The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde University: Ask a current student.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by lyrical_lie
Hey it's quite a mix at least in archery we have 17 yo to people who have retired so you'll definitely not be the oldest by far. I'm 21 and when I'm in the union even I feel a bit old but I'm with a crowd and we have a giggle watching the wee ones make numptys of themselves. I'm pretty sure there is a mature student society but I'm not really in many societies mainly sports and policy council/class year rep. But there will be plenty for you to do, also what course you doing?

That's great. I don't mind being older, as long as I'm not the oldest! I'll be doing grad entry LLB. Really looking forward to it, if not the book costs. I take it you guys will have a stand/booth/etc at freshers' for signups?

I think my main worry is being in between age groups and having a hard time making friends, but hopefully joining a few clubs will ease any social worries.

Now counting down the days 'til I leave my job and start uni!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 81
Original post by TF1000
That's great. I don't mind being older, as long as I'm not the oldest! I'll be doing grad entry LLB. Really looking forward to it, if not the book costs. I take it you guys will have a stand/booth/etc at freshers' for signups?

I think my main worry is being in between age groups and having a hard time making friends, but hopefully joining a few clubs will ease any social worries.

Now counting down the days 'til I leave my job and start uni!

Oh cool I'm llb too I think you'll find that it's quite common for late 20a because they've done a degree already. So I can answer law questions too.

Yea we have freshers fair which has both all the societies have booths and clubs too there's 40+ sports clubs.
Reply 82
Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Oh and quote me or I might not see it :biggrin:

Hey,
I have recieved an offer from Strathclyde and Bristol for Msc Accounting and finance.
Which university would yiu suggest based on the overall reputation and the reputation of the subject I have chosen to pursue.
Also, is the reputation of Strathclyde business school better than Bristol?

Please help.

Thanks
Reply 83
Original post by arpanm
Hey,
I have recieved an offer from Strathclyde and Bristol for Msc Accounting and finance.
Which university would yiu suggest based on the overall reputation and the reputation of the subject I have chosen to pursue.
Also, is the reputation of Strathclyde business school better than Bristol?

Please help.

Thanks

I'm sorry I don't really know anything about Bristol. I know Strathclyde business school does have a good reputation but I wouldn't be able to compare them. Maybe try looking at league tables (although maybe not the best idea but it might give you a rough idea on where they stand in comparison). I don't even know anyone on that course to ask sadly, sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you have any general questions about Strathclyde facilities let me know.

Gemma
Reply 84
Thanks a lot for your reply..I'm just so confused and I have 5 days left to accept or decline the offer..

Could you please have a look at the below facts and see if you could help me further?

Strathclyde has a triple accreditation and each subject/course has 20 credits and 32 hrs of lectures and teaching.
Bristol gives 15 credits to each subject and 21_24 hrs of lectures.

In subject wise rankings Strathclyde is 4th for accounting and finance while bristol Is 15th.
In over all rankings bristol is 15th and Strathclyde is 41st.

Does it matter how many credits each course has and how many contact hours we have?

And in general, how would you rate the Pg accommodations? And job prospects..

I'm sorry I don't really know anything about Bristol. I know Strathclyde business school does have a good reputation but I wouldn't be able to compare them. Maybe try looking at league tables (although maybe not the best idea but it might give you a rough idea on where they stand in comparison). I don't even know anyone on that course to ask sadly, sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you have any general questions about Strathclyde facilities let me know.

Gemma
Reply 85
Original post by arpanm
Thanks a lot for your reply..I'm just so confused and I have 5 days left to accept or decline the offer..

Could you please have a look at the below facts and see if you could help me further?

Strathclyde has a triple accreditation and each subject/course has 20 credits and 32 hrs of lectures and teaching.
Bristol gives 15 credits to each subject and 21_24 hrs of lectures.

In subject wise rankings Strathclyde is 4th for accounting and finance while bristol Is 15th.
In over all rankings bristol is 15th and Strathclyde is 41st.

Does it matter how many credits each course has and how many contact hours we have?

And in general, how would you rate the Pg accommodations? And job prospects..

I don't know. It really matters to you how much contact hours you have, in law at hons level we have 20 credit classes and one 3 hour lecture a week per class. Some people really like this as they can study in their own time others prefer more classwork. So there again it depends. So I don't if it matters, I think it just matters to you. I'm not a PG I'm an UG so I've only seen them from outside, they're fine, just a little bit off campus (i.e. across the road) and next to shops like aldi etc. No idea about job prospects as I don't do that class, surely it is more than just what subject you do but all the extra curriculars too. So get involved in societies etc? Again I don't know anything about Bristol so I wont be much use comparing them, you're going to have to work that out by yourself unfortunately. Also remember there's more to uni that job prospects.You're going to be stuck in that city for however many years your course is so you better make sure it's right for you.
Reply 86
tsvyatkoff
Hello, I am from Bulgaria and I have a con offer for Business Enterprise at Strathclyde but I am in a dilemma between Strathclyde and Glasgow uni.I am writing to you in regards of your post in this thread.And more specifically:
"Opportunity to go abroad in your penultimate year to study or work and still gain credits."

Can you please clarify what that exactly means?I understand that in my 3rd year of studies I can spend a semester in an university abroad or get a job placement, is that right?Apart from that, are there any actual companies who get involved in the curriculum?I mean, like guest lecturers who are actually employed in a big corporation or sth.
I've done as much research as I could on the Web, and since I can't afford to visit both universities and decide for myself, the only thing I thought of was to ask an actual student.

My conclusion so far:
Strathclyde: Greater reputation for its business courses, more business subjects to choose from, technologically better suited (for this I judge from the various videos I watched and the major investment of around 300 mln pounds in the last couple of years mentioned in their website)
Glasgow: Higher overall reputation, higher employability rate (at least on tables), bigger student community (at least on the Web) and generally better-known university. (as I had never heard of Strathclyde before I decided to apply in the UK, but hey you probably havent heard of my country as well, so :biggrin: ).

So, any help I might get in choosing between the two universities will be very helpful to me.

This was originally a PM for @animelover123 but since he hasnt been around for like 2 weeks I guess I could post it here as well.Thanks in advance.
Reply 87
I don't know. It really matters to you how much contact hours you have, in law at hons level we have 20 credit classes and one 3 hour lecture a week per class. Some people really like this as they can study in their own time others prefer more classwork. So there again it depends. So I don't if it matters, I think it just matters to you. I'm not a PG I'm an UG so I've only seen them from outside, they're fine, just a little bit off campus (i.e. across the road) and next to shops like aldi etc. No idea about job prospects as I don't do that class, surely it is more than just what subject you do but all the extra curriculars too. So get involved in societies etc? Again I don't know anything about Bristol so I wont be much use comparing them, you're going to have to work that out by yourself unfortunately. Also remember there's more to uni that job prospects.You're going to be stuck in that city for however many years your course is so you better make sure it's right for you.

Ya..I get what ur trying to say..
Well, I have looked at everulything be it the course structure, the reputation, the job prospects etc etc.. and I have actually come down to finalising between 2 universities namely bristol and strathclyde.. as before!

But now it has come down to one final point which im sure you can help me out with. The thig is, I have heard that the climate in strathclyde, glasgow is pretty cold and damp all year long. Is that so? I mean, I come from a place where it is 30-31 degrees Celsius most of the year.. so will it be really difficult?
How was ur experience with the climate there in glasgow?

And thanks a lot for all your timw and help, ur replies have been most informative for me. If you could just help me with this last bit of information, im pretty sure I will be able to make a decision.
Reply 88
Original post by arpanm
Ya..I get what ur trying to say..
Well, I have looked at everulything be it the course structure, the reputation, the job prospects etc etc.. and I have actually come down to finalising between 2 universities namely bristol and strathclyde.. as before!

But now it has come down to one final point which im sure you can help me out with. The thig is, I have heard that the climate in strathclyde, glasgow is pretty cold and damp all year long. Is that so? I mean, I come from a place where it is 30-31 degrees Celsius most of the year.. so will it be really difficult?
How was ur experience with the climate there in glasgow?

And thanks a lot for all your timw and help, ur replies have been most informative for me. If you could just help me with this last bit of information, im pretty sure I will be able to make a decision.

Ha no problem,

And yea it is cold but so is all of Britain. I don't think it's wise to decide your university on the climate as there's probably not much difference between Bristol and Glasgow.

Wear plenty of layers :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by tsvyatkoff
This was originally a PM for @animelover123 but since he hasnt been around for like 2 weeks I guess I could post it here as well.Thanks in advance.

Hey,

I am probably going to be a bit biased mainly because I'm at Strath but in regards to bigger student atmosphere I'd disagree they're probably about the same, they have clubs we don't and vice versa. Also Glasgow Uni is in the West End not the city centre whereas Strath is bang in the centre. I know the business school at Strathclyde does have a lot of recognition, not sure about Glasgow. You're right about Glasgow being more well known but I think Strathclyde is starting to become more up and coming especially in regards to science and tech and probably the business school.

In regards to doing a year abroad this is quite common, it;s called an ERASMUS year so I'm sure if you researched into that a lot more can come up. Your best bet in regards to the ins and outs of it is to email the universities directly. I'm pretty sure Glasgow will have the opportunity too, but I may be wrong.

I don't know if any of this was useful but any more questions about the city let me know :smile:
Reply 90
Ha no problem,

And yea it is cold but so is all of Britain. I don't think it's wise to decide your university on the climate as there's probably not much difference between Bristol and Glasgow.

Wear plenty of layers :smile:

Haha..so it's survibale rut. That's good then.
Well, I guess that's about everything.
If I do decide to come to Strathclyde, I'll see you in September..
Thanks a ton
Reply 91
Original post by arpanm
Haha..so it's survibale rut. That's good then.
Well, I guess that's about everything.
If I do decide to come to Strathclyde, I'll see you in September..
Thanks a ton

Good luck and sadly I graduate this Summer, but have fun wherever you end up :smile:
Reply 92
I'm stuck between Strathclyde and Stirling to study History & Politics - can anyone who is studying at Strathclyde give me advice on the courses and the university in general?
Reply 93
Original post by bwstarr
I'm stuck between Strathclyde and Stirling to study History & Politics - can anyone who is studying at Strathclyde give me advice on the courses and the university in general?

What would you like to know about the uni?
Reply 94
What would you like to know about the uni?

What is the % difference between the exams and course work? Like at Stirling I know your grade comes from 50% course work and 50% exam per year.

What is the politics/history course like? What are the lecturers like?

Is there a community feeling?

And any information you think is necessary :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 95
What about accommodation? I am thinking for the most trivial scenario - first year student halls, second year - private flat.
Pros: included taxes (gas, electricity, etc), a lot more contacts, PARTIES.
Cons: well..comfort.
Reply 96
Original post by bwstarr
What is the % difference between the exams and course work? Like at Stirling I know your grade comes from 50% course work and 50% exam per year.
Depends on the degree as in my course some of my classes have one essay and an exam, some are just an essay some an exam, you could try looking at the curriculum.
What is the politics/history course like? What are the lecturers like?
No idea, I study law I don't even know anyone in that course.
Is there a community feeling?
In what way? The halls are right on campus next to the library the union is very big on volunteering and social events. The sports union is good we have the sports ball each year which is really good and things like super teams.
And any information you think is necessary :smile:
The wifi has all just been updated, it's still a bit sketchy in areas but it's getting there. Glasgow as a city is really good to live in. Plenty to do if you're into going the dancing there's that, plenty of pubs and bars. Big giant cinema, parks, theatres, museums and probably anything else you can thing of.
Thank you!

Original post by tsvyatkoff
What about accommodation? I am thinking for the most trivial scenario - first year student halls, second year - private flat.
Pros: included taxes (gas, electricity, etc), a lot more contacts, PARTIES.
Cons: well..comfort.

I live at home but my boyfriend has gone through all that so I'll give you some tips the best I can. Halls is ok in that you'll be with new students but the actual halls are a bit bleh, especially birkbeck but it is a lot cheaper and they have the most parties. In second year onwards most people live in either Dennistoun Duke st area, Alexander parade, trongate, Glasgow green flat prices for a two bedroom flat is probably about 500-600max.
Reply 97
Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Oh and quote me or I might not see it :biggrin:

Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't read through the other questions,

I'm going to strathclyde for Maths, first year entry, and was wanting to know if you could tell me roughly how many hours I'll be in the uni (living at home) for lectures etc

I found out that (at just 17 :s-smilie:) I have been put in a will to take 3 dogs that i dog-sit should my ill neighbour pass away, and now I'm wanting to plan out how often I'll have to get someone to come and watch the dogs. I know this is probably a stupid question but if you could give me a rough idea of how many hours per week I'll be out I would be very grateful :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by Abbie :)
Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't read through the other questions,

I'm going to strathclyde for Maths, first year entry, and was wanting to know if you could tell me roughly how many hours I'll be in the uni (living at home) for lectures etc

I found out that (at just 17 :s-smilie:) I have been put in a will to take 3 dogs that i dog-sit should my ill neighbour pass away, and now I'm wanting to plan out how often I'll have to get someone to come and watch the dogs. I know this is probably a stupid question but if you could give me a rough idea of how many hours per week I'll be out I would be very grateful :smile:

It really depends on the course. If you have lab work etc. With Law I was maybe in 4 hours a week with 3 hours of tutorials every fortnight, but I live in the library Mon-Sat. Whereas my boyfriend who had labs would be in maybe 15 hours a week. Also it'll make the difference if you can study at home or if you need to study in the library as you need certain programs. The contact hours aren't the only hour you'll be in uni. Also if you're traveling in (like me) you'll need to factor in trains and buses as with that it makes sense for you to be in uni longer as there's no point traveling the whole way in for an hour lecture. Also lectures aren't compulsory unless they take attendance so if worse comes to worse you could miss one if you are watching dogs. It may sound callous of me put don't put your pets first when it comes to your studies.

Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know.
Reply 99
It really depends on the course. If you have lab work etc. With Law I was maybe in 4 hours a week with 3 hours of tutorials every fortnight, but I live in the library Mon-Sat. Whereas my boyfriend who had labs would be in maybe 15 hours a week. Also it'll make the difference if you can study at home or if you need to study in the library as you need certain programs. The contact hours aren't the only hour you'll be in uni. Also if you're traveling in (like me) you'll need to factor in trains and buses as with that it makes sense for you to be in uni longer as there's no point traveling the whole way in for an hour lecture. Also lectures aren't compulsory unless they take attendance so if worse comes to worse you could miss one if you are watching dogs. It may sound callous of me put don't put your pets first when it comes to your studies.

Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know.

I've been wanting to go and study maths for too long to prioritise above it, just nervous haha thank you for your quick reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending