The Student Room Group

Biology AS organelles

Hey :smile: I've been doing some biology today, but I am sometimes finding it hard to identify an organelle from a diagram of a cell. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this more easily? It's AQA AS biology :smile:
Which ones? Most of the organelle questions on the tests are quite clear, they rarely give you ambiguous or blurry ones. If you're just finding it difficult to remember, just gonna have to practise! Try drawing them out and put them up in your room?
Personally, I just associate each organnelle with an image of something I'm likely to remember
Like for the CHLOROPLAST it looks like they have wheat like structures inside of them (due to the grana)
But like the above user has mentioned, the organnelle drawings are usually always clear; you've just got to mentally be able to associate the image given with the correct organelle name; so try associating them with something you'd remember as well as drawing them out for more reinforcement
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheProblematique
Which ones? Most of the organelle questions on the tests are quite clear, they rarely give you ambiguous or blurry ones. If you're just finding it difficult to remember, just gonna have to practise! Try drawing them out and put them up in your room?

I'd say the Golgi apparatus are the worst, or the endoplasmic reticulum. I know what they look like, but some of the pictures I've seen aren't so clear.. I guess I'll just have to practise all the questions I can find :s-smilie: thank you
Reply 4
Original post by EvasiveRose
Personally, I just associate each organnelle with an image of something I'm likely to remember
Like for the mitochondria it looks like they have wheat like structures inside of them (due to the grana stacks :biggrin:)
But like the above user has mentioned, the organnelle drawings are usually always clear; you've just got to mentally be able to associate the image given with the correct organelle name; so try associating them with something you'd remember as well as drawing them out for more reinforcement

Thank you, I like the sound of that association thing :smile:
Ah I see what you mean. I feel like golgi generally does look like a stack of a lot membranes and it has more whitish bits where as endoplasmic reticulum just looks like wavy lines across the a lot of the cell.
For Golgi apparatus, look for vesicles surrounding it

For smooth endoplasmic reticulum, if it looks kinda like the golgi but doesn't have vesicles around it

Rough endoplasmic reticulum, is studded with ribosomes and surround the nucleus, so should be pretty easy to identify

::-)
Reply 7
Like for the mitochondria it looks like they have wheat like structures inside of them (due to the grana stacks :biggrin:)

I think you've confused mitochondria with chloroplasts there :wink:

Also be aware of how the organelles have been cut for the slide, they might look a weird shape compared to textbook diagrams but you have to think has it been cut laterally or in plane view or diagonally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
I think you've confused mitochondria with chloroplasts there :wink:

Also be aware of how the organelles have been cut for the slide, they might look a weird shape compared to textbook diagrams but you have to think has it been cut laterally or in plane view or diagonally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha.
I knew something looked off (this is what 4 hours of doing Chemistry does to me *sigh*)
Reply 9
Haha.
I knew something looked off (this is what 4 hours of doing Chemistry does to me *sigh*)

Wait till you do a2 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Go on google images find a good diagram of the organelles and stick it in your room preferably on a wall that you see when you just wake up. Everytime you see it just stop for 1 minute and read it. Then carry on with what you were doing a couple of days you should know it like the back of your hand.
Original post by Katherine1996
Thank you, I like the sound of that association thing :smile:

You're welcme :smile:

Original post by Tillsy
Wait till you do a2 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I look forward to experiencing the horrors of A2 :colone:
Reply 12
You're welcme :smile:

I look forward to experiencing the horrors of A2 :colone:

Haha which board are you on?? It's not that bad but make sure you revise AS really well or you'll need to revise it again before the a2 exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Haha which board are you on?? It's not that bad but make sure you revise AS really well or you'll need to revise it again before the a2 exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR. What about you?
And I will- Biology is the second love of my life (which would be taking centre stage in my revision if I didn't have to finish self teaching my other subjects :frown: )
Reply 14
OCR. What about you?
And I will- Biology is the second love of my life (which would be taking centre stage in my revision if I didn't have to finish self teaching my other subjects :frown: )

I'm on ocr too :smile: as was quite good, a2 is quite different it's more detailed and you learn a few new things like animal behaviour which is quite interesting. Haha I love bio too but I don't love how much there is to revise :frown: what are you looking to do at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
I'm on ocr too :smile: as was quite good, a2 is quite different it's more detailed and you learn a few new things like animal behaviour which is quite interesting. Haha I love bio too but I don't love how much there is to revise :frown: what are you looking to do at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

*high five* :biggrin:
Animal behaviour sounds quite interesting. What sort of things do you learn about?
I thought the amount of revision there was for Biology was the fun part:colone:

Right now, anyone one of my 4 A-Levels; I like and dislike all of them with an equal passion. They have their rewarding moments though. What about you?

Also I think it'd be best to PM me. Don't want to clog this thread up with our discussion :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending