The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Wimbledon & accomodation

I've accepted Wimbledon college of art as my firm choice to do fine art (painting), what does anyone who's studied/studying there think of it? could you let me know anything you think about it? facilities, good points, what the tutors are like? even just general university life there! and could anyone who is staying at furzedown student village let me know anything about there that might be useful? thanks! :smile: i have some knowledge, but i cant go to the open day for the accommodation as i'm away that day! and as for Wimbledon i'm just excited and want to know more :P so it would be appreciated if you would share your knowlege! thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Katie.lee96
I've accepted Wimbledon college of art as my firm choice to do fine art (painting), what does anyone who's studied/studying there think of it? could you let me know anything you think about it? facilities, good points, what the tutors are like? even just general university life there! and could anyone who is staying at furzedown student village let me know anything about there that might be useful? thanks! :smile: i have some knowledge, but i cant go to the open day for the accommodation as i'm away that day! and as for Wimbledon i'm just excited and want to know more :P so it would be appreciated if you would share your knowlege! thanks!

I've been offered a place at Wimbledon for Fine art: sculpture and I'm just trying to make my mind up whether I'm going to accept it haha. I went to Wimbledon on the 25th March for the first time before my Goldsmiths interview and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The centre of town in Wimbledon is brilliant with a lot of places to shop and to eat. The campus is about a 15min walk from the train station and is in a quiet residential area. The facilities are good there but the upside as well is seem as you'll be a UAL student you can pretty much use the facilities across all the six colleges.

As for accommodation the closest to Wimbledon is furzedown student village. I haven't been to see them personally but from the information I've seen they're rather nice haha. Hope this helps :smile:
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AndyHoccom
I've been offered a place at Wimbledon for Fine art: sculpture and I'm just trying to make my mind up whether I'm going to accept it haha. I went to Wimbledon on the 25th March for the first time before my Goldsmiths interview and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The centre of town in Wimbledon is brilliant with a lot of places to shop and to eat. The campus is about a 15min walk from the train station and is in a quiet residential area. The facilities are good there but the upside as well is seem as you'll be a UAL student you can pretty much use the facilities across all the six colleges.

As for accommodation the closest to Wimbledon is furzedown student village. I haven't been to see them personally but from the information I've seen they're rather nice haha. Hope this helps :smile:

I only got to see a bit of it when I went down for my interview so that really helped! I loved what I did see - how its quiet, then theres the town centre with the shops which I love!! Im just worried about the fact that theres only one accomodation site near there and how convenient it will be :/ thanks for replying and let me know what you choose!
Reply 3
Original post by Katie.lee96
I only got to see a bit of it when I went down for my interview so that really helped! I loved what I did see - how its quiet, then theres the town centre with the shops which I love!! Im just worried about the fact that theres only one accomodation site near there and how convenient it will be :/ thanks for replying and let me know what you choose!

Yeah I loved the shopping area in Wimbledon and the quiet setting of the college. I think personally that you'll like the college as I thought it was really nice :smile: I think I'll probably end up going there.

That's what slightly annoyed me about the accommodation as Furzedown is the only one within a reasonable distance with an okay price but the place does look amazing and at least we wouldn't be the only ones making the commute haha :smile:
Reply 4
Just accepted my place for sculpture at wimbledon. only down side is the prices for furzedown have eaten up most of my basic grant, so here's hoping finance get back to me and tell me i'm entitled to some more ...

Does anyone know how the courses are managed at wimbledon? i'm hoping it's very free and self motivated but a little input on how it's all handled would be great .
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by NicEvans
Just accepted my place for sculpture at wimbledon :smile: only down side is the prices for furzedown have eaten up most of my basic grant, so here's hoping finance get back to me and tell me i'm entitled to some more :tongue:

Does anyone know how the courses are managed at wimbledon? i'm hoping it's very free and self motivated but a little input on how it's all handled would be great :smile:

Praise the lord I've found another sculpture person haha :') I was worried I'd be the only one. I don't know the exact structure of the course but from what I remember when I went and met the tutor for the first year we basically sit in our studio spaces and make stuff! I think we have lectures and seminars but don't hold me to that as my brain is like a sieve haha.

I'm in the same boat in terms of finance and I'm applying for Furzedown too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Praise the lord I've found another sculpture person haha :') I was worried I'd be the only one. I don't know the exact structure of the course but from what I remember when I went and met the tutor for the first year we basically sit in our studio spaces and make stuff! I think we have lectures and seminars but don't hold me to that as my brain is like a sieve haha.

I'm in the same boat in terms of finance and I'm applying for Furzedown too.

Likewise,i hadn't heard of anyone else doing it. when i went for my interview i had the head of sculpture and she gave me a tour of the studios and exhibition space and got a couple of the second years to show me round. it looks like it's a small but close knit course. i've had to go for a shared room at furzedown because of the prices, but at least on the second year most of the sculpture students can end up in the same house. i do know that there is VERY little written work at Wimbledon :smile:
Reply 7
Likewise,i hadn't heard of anyone else doing it. when i went for my interview i had the head of sculpture and she gave me a tour of the studios and exhibition space and got a couple of the second years to show me round. it looks like it's a small but close knit course. i've had to go for a shared room at furzedown because of the prices, but at least on the second year most of the sculpture students can end up in the same house. i do know that there is VERY little written work at Wimbledon :smile:

I went to Wimbledon on the same day as my Goldsmiths interviews :'). If I'm honest I didn't even consider Wimbledon but Chelsea couldn't offer me a place due to competition so they recommended that Wimbledon offer me a place.

Yeah the place is rather small and its set in a lovely area. I had a third year take me round whilst the tutor wandered off somewhere but it does look nice. I haven't even decided what I'm gonna do in terms of a room at furzedown but I guess I can read more into it.

I like the sound of that haha, I don't mind writing but I like making art more.
Reply 8
I went to Wimbledon on the same day as my Goldsmiths interviews :'). If I'm honest I didn't even consider Wimbledon but Chelsea couldn't offer me a place due to competition so they recommended that Wimbledon offer me a place.

Yeah the place is rather small and its set in a lovely area. I had a third year take me round whilst the tutor wandered off somewhere but it does look nice. I haven't even decided what I'm gonna do in terms of a room at furzedown but I guess I can read more into it.

I like the sound of that haha, I don't mind writing but I like making art more.

Likewise, i went to wimbledon for painting initially and wasn't impressed.when i got an interview offer it was my first interview and i was going to use it just as a way to build up for goldsmiths, but seeing the place full and getting to chat with people made me really think twice about it. plus i got an offer for sculpture half way through the interview so i had to stop and think about what i really wanted to do, really glad now i considered it since most of my work this year has been sculptural.

it really looks like furzedown have hiked their prices, since a standard single room was at least £60 less last year.
Reply 9
Likewise, i went to wimbledon for painting initially and wasn't impressed.when i got an interview offer it was my first interview and i was going to use it just as a way to build up for goldsmiths, but seeing the place full and getting to chat with people made me really think twice about it. plus i got an offer for sculpture half way through the interview so i had to stop and think about what i really wanted to do, really glad now i considered it since most of my work this year has been sculptural.

it really looks like furzedown have hiked their prices, since a standard single room was at least £60 less last year.

Yeah after visiting the place and having a look at the surroundings it gave me a good idea of where I would go if I didn't get a place at Goldsmiths. It is nice though that it didn't appear to be particularly competitive and the atmosphere was a lot more peaceful in comparison to other unis.

Bloody hell hopefully they'll have some more consideration of those prices haha. I would choose other accommodation but they're getting gradually further away which would make the commote there and back would be a bit of a pain in the arse.
Reply 10
Just seen this post and I'm in the same situation!

I'm going to Wimbledon for Costume Design and also hoping to stay at Furzetown but don't know that much about it either unfortunately! Does anybody know what the area's like in tooting? I'm not from London so it's hard to know where's best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by CarlaJean
Just seen this post and I'm in the same situation!

I'm going to Wimbledon for Costume Design and also hoping to stay at Furzetown but don't know that much about it either unfortunately! Does anybody know what the area's like in tooting? I'm not from London so it's hard to know where's best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

tooting is nice, it's alot like a small city center in a not very exciting city.but i imagine around the accommodation its' a student area so it should be pretty nice.
some people will say it's rough and full of crime, but in student accom and studying till late in wimledon you should be fine.hope to see you there. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Hey :smile: I've accepted Costume Design at Wimbledon :smile:

Does anyone know when the accommodation opens for applications?
I'm paranoid in case I miss it and then won't be able to get into Furzedown..
And they say we need our student ID numbers to apply..but I haven't been given one yet - has anyone else?

:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Sherbs1922

And they say we need our student ID numbers to apply..but I haven't been given one yet - has anyone else?

May first through ual, or you can contact finddigs directly and sort it now and beet the rush like i'm doing. :smile:
Reply 14

I haven't been given a student ID either but they've given me a number to call where you'll just be asked some security questions to be given your code :
Reply 15
I haven't been given a student ID either but they've given me a number to call where you'll just be asked some security questions to be given your code :

Wimbledon are going to be sending out a letter full of details for those who have accepted their offers soon, this will have your code in it.
As for furzedown filling up, apparently you needn't worry, since only Wimbledon students really care about it as a first choice.
Reply 16
I've also accepted costume design at Wimbledon! See you there :P

For UAL applications open on May 8th for halls as far as I know, also your student ID should be somewhere on any emails you've received from Wimbledon or UAL in general :smile:

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Okay thanks everyone! I'm counting on them sending out emails with ID numbers on because there's definitely nothing on any of my emails so far.

(P.S. Nic - this is a weird question but are you Vicky's boyfriend by any chance?)
Okay thanks everyone! I'm counting on them sending out emails with ID numbers on because there's definitely nothing on any of my emails so far.

(P.S. Nic - this is a weird question but are you Vicky's boyfriend by any chance?)

Yes i am... i am a little bit scared right now.....
Haha sorry for being scary, I'm on her Art Foundation :smile: and she told me that her boyfriend Nic was going to Wimbledon too. So I took a guess!

Charlotte

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending