The Student Room Group

When does the driving adrenaline wear off?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Another motorcyclist here, pretty much agree with the other guys. I love riding, but I'm often having to go a bit below the limit, sometimes by a good 15-20mph. I know a limit isn't a target, but it's certainly a pain when you can go safely at the limit, and find yourself going 20mph under. A lot of the times you just wait for an overtake opportunity, and it’s fine but you could be waiting for a while or won’t be able to overtake at all. When it matters the most, IMO on bendy A-roads, overtake opportunities might not show up, and that’s when it can get really annoying. Bendy NSL A-road at 60+ (60, perhaps briefly 61mph =]) is fun, but not when you’re stuck behind a car doing 40, or sometimes less which is what most cars do on the NSL roads along my commute. Oh well, I still enjoy riding, don’t think’ I’d get bored of it any time soon.
Original post by Runninground
Wow I drive at the speed limit and I am always being overtaken. The last time I had to overtake whilst travelling at the limit on the roads around here was a good few (6+) months ago (excluding motorways)

I second this, Im a car driver though and always go the limit, I find pretty much everyone is overtaking me, which is what makes driver a bit boring for me, I feel like im going at snails speed and that I'm just an obstacle for many drivers, but I'm the one following the speed limit!

That being said, I do still enjoy driving, but i do see it more as something i have to do rather than something i enjoy doing.
I've been driving for two years and I still enjoy driving, although I don't get excited about it.

Obviously depends on the drive though. At home the roads are flat and fairly tedious. At uni they're all coastal and twisty-turny and although I have a pretty rubbish car, it is pretty fun.
Reply 23
It doesn't bother me.
I don't love it though.
When you come off the M25
Reply 25
Naturally aspirated engine ( non turbo ) radio muted 5000revs second gear curvy lonely road...screaming engine, fast shifts, getting pushed into the seat Time of my life.

However driving can be boring especially if you drive for two hours straight in traffic or in the city where you need to concentrate and your left leg starts to hurt because of the clutch...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Motorway suck, speed is boring on wide and safe roads.... Unless you're going 120..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never get bored of driving, I'm excited everytime I get in my car. 2nd gear all the way up to 55 YEAHHHHHHH
Original post by 2710
What are your experiences?

Do you enjoy driving?

For people who have driven for a long time, did the rush ever die down?

Multiple crashes, driving under the influence, two high speed pursuits and just general arsing about :h:

Hell yes.

Not died down yet, I keep doing stupider things to keep the rush going :colone:
It depends, if you're actually a petrolhead and enjoy driving, I'm not sure it does.

I've been driving 2 1/2 years, and done around 92,000 miles in the that time and I still enjoy it. Always get a buzz driving in an unfamiliar/difficult/hooning environment - Even though most of the time I'm more concerned with fuel consumption.

The reality is, that driving 150 miles down the A1 at 2am isn't going to be as exciting as hooning it around the Snake Pass on a summer's day. The other reality is that for most people, driving is something to utilised and/or tolerated. Not something to be enjoyed.
Original post by JC.
Depends what you're doing...

Sitting @ 70-80mph on a motorway for mile after mile is incredibly boring.
However, if you happen to be taking the scening route and giving it large between corners - well, that's a bit different.

Having said that, you don't always want to be driving at 100% and having a car that you have to really "drive" isn't always what you want. Doing motorway speeds in something that rides quite harshly isn't a particularly nice experience. Similarly, trying to press on down a B road in something big and comfy is just like being in a boat when the swell is quite large.

Wait 'til you've got two or three cars. Chances are you're the sort of person that might enjoy track days and sprint / hill climb events.

You used to be a bit of a racer yourself JC ! :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by traintracks1995
You used to be a bit of a racer yourself JC ! :biggrin:

Still am...
Mine's the red MGB V8 in the left lane!

Original post by JC.
Still am...
Mine's the red MGB V8 in the left lane!

Nice ! Can any car enter those drag races?
Reply 33
Original post by traintracks1995
Nice ! Can any car enter those drag races?

Yup. So long as you're not dropping any fluids you can run what you like.

Cars, trucks, go-karts, motorbikes even jet cars - if you've got a wheelbarrow to carry your nuts around in. :wink:
Original post by JC.
Yup. So long as you're not dropping any fluids you can run what you like.

Cars, trucks, go-karts, motorbikes even jet cars - if you've got a wheelbarrow to carry your nuts around in. :wink:

Might get my car remapped, strip out the interior and see what she'll do on a quarter mile. Might pick up some tips from seasoned racers too
Reply 35
I think it also depends on the kind of car one has. If the car is driver's car (the one which drives very well, has great control, great power- like VW or Audi) , the person will never get bored of driving. But otherwise you might.
Your question has no single answer. I have been driving for around 9-10 years now. First car was a micra ( i never got the rush) untill i pulled handbrake hard and car spinned like a joke. Second car, e46 m3 and till this day i love and get the same rush around the corners. My audi a7 doesn't give me adrenaline rush such as my m3. So really it all narrows down to the car you're driving. For example: a 14 year old might feel like ferrari in a micra.
(edited 5 years ago)
The odd time it gets boring, but i will have been passed 9 years in march and in general still love driving.
Been driving a couple of months it's become meh at this stage, i really enjoy being a passenger though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending