The Student Room Group

Postgrad Accomodation for ICL

Hello!

I am heading to London for my postgrad at ICL (South Kensington) in October, and since I have never visited London, just wondering what people's experiences have been.

I am thinking about GradPad (Wood Lane in particular). It looks pretty nice and the price is high but acceptable. I am worried about commute time, though. Does anyone live there currently (or in the past) and studies at ICL South Kensington? What is the commute like? Their site says 25 minutes... I'm not quite buying that.

Also, anyone know of similar places? I'd like to live with a larger group of people, but have my own studio.

Thanks!
Hi - I'm a current ug (in my final year at ICL) - 25 minutes is probably about right if it was perfect conditions (i.e. everything when perfectly) but would probably take much longer on average.

Just a note that because of where the college is most students live minimum 25 minutes from the college, so you aren't likely to get much closer in terms of time, even if its closer in terms of distance. Alot of students live in the Earl's court/Fulham area which is about 20-40 minutes (walking from college, depending on how far into fulham you ened up) and 20 minutes on the bus/tube depending on whether you live near a tube station (where rent is then higher). This is true of both the ug's and pg's i know.

I would say the average time away from college is around 30 minutes. Hope this helps even if I can't tell you much about pg :smile:
Thanks! That's very helpful info.

I guess that means if there happens to be no wait time at transfers?

I'm just a little wary because I checked Google Maps and it says it would be closer to 50 minutes. Is Google Maps transit times generally accurate in the UK? It's pretty good in Canada.

Yeah I looked at some closer places, too, and the prices are pretty outrageous.

I'll look into Earl's Court/Fulham, too. Thanks!
Reply 3
White City to Notting Hill Gate and a change of line to get to South Ken wouldn't take 50 mins unless on a stupidly bad day! Probably about a half hour :smile:

It's a 3 mile walk but to be honest I can do a 3 mile walk in 45mins...
Ah! That's good to know! It looks like Google Maps was just using buses for some reason.

Half an hour is pretty good! I walk fast, too.
BTW, where is everyone else staying? If you have found a place already.
Reply 6
Any thoughts on gradpad? I've seen some pretty bad reviews and some good ones. From the images it looks awesome.
It looks like they had some problems couple years back, but almost everyone living there now are happy with it (except for the price, which is rather high).

Their site is also pretty factual which is nice (for example, floor plans, and room sizes).

There's another place (Mansion Student) that only has a few pictures on their sites, and when I emailed them to ask for a floor plan, or at least room size, they basically said they won't tell me, and just replied with a bunch of advertisement. I stopped considering them at that point. Not even the room size. Really?
Reply 8
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
It looks like they had some problems couple years back, but almost everyone living there now are happy with it (except for the price, which is rather high).

Their site is also pretty factual which is nice (for example, floor plans, and room sizes).

There's another place (Mansion Student) that only has a few pictures on their sites, and when I emailed them to ask for a floor plan, or at least room size, they basically said they won't tell me, and just replied with a bunch of advertisement. I stopped considering them at that point. Not even the room size. Really?

I'm also attending south ensington campus this october :smile: which course are you taking?
MSc Advanced Computing. How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending