The Student Room Group

His4x. Does it need to be non-chronological?

If I leave my enquiry in a chronological order will it drop me marks? It isn't just a narrative before you ask
Original post by IllmaticDragon
If I leave my enquiry in a chronological order will it drop me marks? It isn't just a narrative before you ask

What's the subject of your enquiry? :smile:

I don't know whether or not it will drop you marks, but generally it's easier to create a coherent, analytical argument if you arrange by themes. :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What's the subject of your enquiry? :smile:

I don't know whether or not it will drop you marks, but generally it's easier to create a coherent, analytical argument if you arrange by themes. :smile:

In the context of xxxx-xxxx did political negotiation or violence have more success in securing better concessions for xxxxxxxxx

- am paranoid about giving out the exact question in case people recognise me

Basically I organised it by period. E.g. 1884-1933, 1934-1954....
within each of these I debated whether each concession was the result of violence or negotiation organising each paragraph going from the least important from that period to the most important.
In the context of xxxx-xxxx did political negotiation or violence have more success in securing better concessions for xxxxxxxxx

- am paranoid about giving out the exact question in case people recognise me

Basically I organised it by period. E.g. 1884-1933, 1934-1954....
within each of these I debated whether each concession was the result of violence or negotiation organising each paragraph going from the least important from that period to the most important.

Ok, so you've arranged it thematically but in two separate sections for each period? :smile: That sounds good!

You could come to some interesting conclusions, especially if there's a shift from negotiation to violence or vice-versa across the two periods... :smile:
Ok, so you've arranged it thematically but in two separate sections for each period? :smile: That sounds good!

You could come to some interesting conclusions, especially if there's a shift from negotiation to violence or vice-versa across the two periods... :smile:

Not so much thematically. I stated a concession, debated whether it resulted from either violence or negotiation and then how significant it was.

e.g. Concession 1
on the one hand violence, but in actuality negotiation.
Not a very effective concession, or was it?

like that. would that be problematic
Not so much thematically. I stated a concession, debated whether it resulted from either violence or negotiation and then how significant it was.

e.g. Concession 1
on the one hand violence, but in actuality negotiation.
Not a very effective concession, or was it?

like that. would that be problematic

Negotiation/violence and the success/lack thereof ARE your themes, so that looks good. :smile:

Your questions also asks about 'better' concessions - so you might want to outline which concessions you think were the 'better' ones (and why).

Then - were the 'best' successions gained through violence or negotiation...?
Negotiation/violence and the success/lack thereof ARE your themes, so that looks good. :smile:

Your questions also asks about 'better' concessions - so you might want to outline which concessions you think were the 'better' ones (and why).

Then - were the 'best' successions gained through violence or negotiation...?

I did it in a way that after deciding whether it was from violence or negotiation, I then assessed the importance/effectiveness and then ordered it like that within the period.

I mentioned which ones were best in the mini conclusions.

thank you so much for helping me out with this. You have no idea how reassuring it is for someone else to come to similar conclusions about what would be good for my work.

as a bonus question, can you tell me how I could evaluate the class book for the source analysis. I can't tell you the name of it because people I know would identify me (sorry I'm such a problem child), but it is endorsed by AQA, edexcel and all that. But I can't really put in my evaluation that "it is endorsed by an exam board so that makes it perfect" if you know what I mean. Yet there doesn't seem to be much bias. Can you give me some pointers on how to go about evaluating a source like that?
I did it in a way that after deciding whether it was from violence or negotiation, I then assessed the importance/effectiveness and then ordered it like that within the period.

I mentioned which ones were best in the mini conclusions.

thank you so much for helping me out with this. You have no idea how reassuring it is for someone else to come to similar conclusions about what would be good for my work.

as a bonus question, can you tell me how I could evaluate the class book for the source analysis. I can't tell you the name of it because people I know would identify me (sorry I'm such a problem child), but it is endorsed by AQA, edexcel and all that. But I can't really put in my evaluation that "it is endorsed by an exam board so that makes it perfect" if you know what I mean. Yet there doesn't seem to be much bias. Can you give me some pointers on how to go about evaluating a source like that?

You're more than welcome. :biggrin: Sometimes it can be difficult to work out how to organise essays! :hmmmm2:

Hm, it's hard to give any pointers without knowing what book it is. Is it a book summarising the different historical viewpoints? Is it a book of primary sources...? If it's a book presenting an historical argument, you should really treat it like any other:

- Who are the authors?
- What is their bias? (Are AQA/Edexel biased? :wink:)
- Do they have an agenda?
- What evidence to they use?
- Is their evidence trustworthy/useful?
- Is their evidence up-to-date?
- Is there any important evidence they don't mention?

If there isn't much bias, then it's okay to say you think it's not that biased! It could just be a helpful book. I hope that helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending