The Student Room Group

Another chicken/egg riddle

Poll

How many eggs???

Being averse to the classic chicken-egg question (which came first), the current riddle seeks to determine the following:

if in 2 days 2 chickens lay 2 eggs, how many eggs do 6 chickens lay in 6 days?

Spoiler

It'll be interesting to see how the results for the vote pan out!
Reply 1
6 :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Who cares?
Assuming 1 chicken lays 1 egg every other day 6 chickens would 18 eggs over the course of 6 days. Well that's how I worked it out anyway.
Reply 4
Lol you're complicating it. It's simply the fact that if 2 chicken's lay 2 eggs collectively in 2 days, that's 1 each per day. So in 6 days, 6 chickens will lay 6 eggs.
If 2 chickens lay 2 eggs in 2 days then:

1 chicken takes 2 days to lay an egg hence 1 chicken will lay 3 eggs in 6 days. 3 eggs * 6 chickens = 18

That's how I would do it anyway
Reply 7
Original post by Insanity514
If 2 chickens lay 2 eggs in 2 days then:

1 chicken takes 2 days to lay an egg hence 1 chicken will lay 3 eggs in 6 days. 3 eggs * 6 chickens = 18

That's how I would do it anyway

That's what I thought too.
Reply 8
Each chicken produces 0.5 eggs per day, so 6*6*0.5=18.
the question needs better punctuation lol
Reply 10
Original post by Red one
Who cares?

You apparently cared enough to post on the thread :rolleyes: :tongue:
I was rattling my mind with this for 10-15mins last night and was wondering which answer most people would get.

Original post by Masooda
Lol you're complicating it. It's simply the fact that if 2 chicken's lay 2 eggs collectively in 2 days, that's 1 each per day. So in 6 days, 6 chickens will lay 6 eggs.

This is the most 'common sense' answer I could get to.

Original post by The_Dragonborn

haha, that gif is so relevant!

Original post by Lord Harold
Assuming 1 chicken lays 1 egg every other day 6 chickens would 18 eggs over the course of 6 days. Well that's how I worked it out anyway.

That was the 'second-most common sense answer' I came up with.

It's mindboggling. I don't think it's possible to get an end answer unless we are given more info...like "1 chicken on average lays an egg every 24hrs" or something..
I'm sorry, but surely the original riddle is easy...

Clearly the egg came first as there was a mutation that changed a chicken-like organism into laying a chicken egg, and then chickens were born.

Evolution and natural selection guys - come on :tongue:
Reply 13
Pretty sure this is similar to a question on the Mensa online test.

2 chickens produced 2 eggs in 2 days

> One chicken takes 2 days to make one egg
> In 6 days a chicken lays 3 eggs
> Six chickens laying 3 eggs in 6 days = 18 total eggs

The mensa workout question;
https://www.mensa.org/workout
If two typists can type two pages in two minutes, how many typists will it take to type 18 pages in six minutes?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest