The Student Room Group

*OFFICAL THREAD* AS Edexcel History Unit 1 (Stalin's Russia) - May 14th 2014

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I'm finding revision for Stalin's Russia quite difficult. I struggled with Russia at GCSE so I have a feeling that since it is at A-Level, I will be finding it even more stressful.

I've found that mind maps are best for me and so I am sticking to that.

I'm focusing on my other units at the moment (The USA in Asia 1950-1973 and The Experience of Warfare in Britain: Crimea, Boer and the First World War) so that when I come to revise Stalin's Russia, it will hopefully be fresh in my mind for the exam :smile:

How are you finding revising for Stalin? Easy or difficult? :smile:
If anyone would like a couple of essay examples for Stalin's Russia, feel free to ask :smile: sat this exam last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll message you them later :biggrin:

I got an A, 84 and 86 :smile:
Thank you :biggrin: I'll post them here in case others in the future will benefit :smile:

This one got 29/30 :smile:

Spoiler

Can't remember what mark, but I think it was a mid A :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by Changing Skies
Thank you :biggrin: I'll post them here in case others in the future will benefit :smile:

This one got 29/30 :smile:

Spoiler

Can't remember what mark, but I think it was a mid A :smile:

Spoiler

Wow an A in history, that's so good! The highest i've got in one of my russia papers is 24/30 and even that was a struggle for me.
I'm finding it really hard and would just like to know what type of revision you did for this exam?
Thank you :smile:
Hehe it's okay :biggrin:

I'm going to sound awful but I did my main revision by cramming the day before for both :colondollar: I don't like telling people that because it makes me look awful, but it's the honest truth! I did do a bit of revision for unit 1 in the Easter holidays, but I ended up forgetting everything because my revision method was awful. I got given so many essays to do throughout the year that I believed my exam technique was up to scratch, so I literally just covered the content! :tongue:

I'd advise you to get the content finished as quick as you can, really, obviously ensuring you actually remember it unlike me :lol: it'll take the pressure off yourself a lot more :yep: however, I think a week would be sufficient enough to work on technique :smile:

Yep, basically :biggrin:
Original post by lavender-
Wow an A in history, that's so good! The highest i've got in one of my russia papers is 24/30 and even that was a struggle for me.
I'm finding it really hard and would just like to know what type of revision you did for this exam?
Thank you :smile:

Aww thank you :smile: aiming for an A* this year, not sure how it's going to turn out though :colondollar: that's still a great mark :yep:

As above, really :smile: I just memorised my textbook by writing things out over and over, but I also wrote out every past paper question and bullet pointed what I'd include underneath :smile: other people find mind maps great for history, so that's something you could consider :h:

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do great :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww thank you :colondollar:

Yeah there's definitely a lot of content to get through :tongue: that's good :h:

Surprisingly not, I just worked nonstop during the day :tongue:

It's going okay thank you :biggrin:

Nice subjects! How are you finding them? :smile:

Yeah I love it :biggrin: that's great! I'm doing that and some of it is so interesting :smile: the exam isn't that bad either as it's just one 30 mark essay and one 40 mark source question! Coursework went fine thank you, no idea what I've got on it yet, though :tongue:

I do coursework for biology and I don't know what mark it's on, my last draft was an A though :smile: trying to get it to an A*! How about you? :smile: just going to see how long it takes me, not got a set plan yet :colondollar:

I'm hoping for an A* in History, an A/A* in English Literature and an A in Biology :smile: probably won't happen though :lol: yourself? :smile:

Aww don't worry about it! Thank you, good luck to you too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hehe it's okay :biggrin:

I'm going to sound awful but I did my main revision by cramming the day before for both :colondollar: I don't like telling people that because it makes me look awful, but it's the honest truth! I did do a bit of revision for unit 1 in the Easter holidays, but I ended up forgetting everything because my revision method was awful. I got given so many essays to do throughout the year that I believed my exam technique was up to scratch, so I literally just covered the content! :tongue:

I'd advise you to get the content finished as quick as you can, really, obviously ensuring you actually remember it unlike me :lol: it'll take the pressure off yourself a lot more :yep: however, I think a week would be sufficient enough to work on technique :smile:

Yep, basically :biggrin:

Aww thank you :smile: aiming for an A* this year, not sure how it's going to turn out though :colondollar: that's still a great mark :yep:

As above, really :smile: I just memorised my textbook by writing things out over and over, but I also wrote out every past paper question and bullet pointed what I'd include underneath :smile: other people find mind maps great for history, so that's something you could consider :h:

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do great :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woow good luck! Thank youuu!
You must be so good at history if you crammed it all in a few days before hahaa
That's been relally helpful for me cause i've literally been freaking out about history as it's the only subject that i have to put my all into (i know it sounds bad) so it takes up a lot of my time
Anyway thank you again!
Reply 9
This exam is my favourite to revise because the content is so interesting! I've gone through almost every single kind of past question and written plans for them all but the only one I struggle with is this one:

How far did Stalin’s social policies change the lives of children and women in the years
to 1945?

...all I can think of are reasons why their lives did change...a lot...I know you could say they suffered a lot under Tsarist rule, but their lives still would have changed because of Lenin's liberalism in the 1920s...
Any ideas?
Reply 10
Original post by NatashaG
This exam is my favourite to revise because the content is so interesting! I've gone through almost every single kind of past question and written plans for them all but the only one I struggle with is this one:

How far did Stalin’s social policies change the lives of children and women in the years
to 1945?

...all I can think of are reasons why their lives did change...a lot...I know you could say they suffered a lot under Tsarist rule, but their lives still would have changed because of Lenin's liberalism in the 1920s...
Any ideas?

21 April2014
20:35
The question isdirected at Stalin's policies in particular, so discussion of Tsarism is bestavoided as that's actually outside of the period- don't get confused betweenTsar/Revolution (first question) and Stalin (second question). Some of thepoints you may wish to explore in this question are: Stalin's policies onfamily life- the return to traditional values, increased role at home forwomen, and the end to the socially destructive "free love" policyunder Lenin. Also stalins policies on educating children- compulsory education,focus on core subjects, exams and regular homework- but fees for latereducation lead to elitism, with party children receiving priority withgovernment grants etc. The role of women in the workplace is also key- the Fiveyear plans and then the war led to women playing an increasing role- yet notrecognised by the government- women paid 60% of male salary for same job, alsoexpectation of playing increased role in domestic life AND the workplace leadsto a "double burden" on their time and energy.

Basically everythingyou need to write this essay is on pages 60-65 of the Stalin's Russia textbook(the one with the woman with the flowers on the front)
The examinersreports on the edexcel website also have high-scoring essays for most questionson every paper except 2009 ones which are really useful :-) good luck (ok justnoticed that there isn't a model answer for that question and the examinerreport says all the answers were rubbish :/)

Reply 11
If anyone would like a couple of essay examples for Stalin's Russia, feel free to ask :smile: sat this exam last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would love these please!!

I have my exam in 3 weeks and I am completely clueless about the Stalin half of the course :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Meriadoc
21 April2014
20:35
The question isdirected at Stalin's policies in particular, so discussion of Tsarism is bestavoided as that's actually outside of the period- don't get confused betweenTsar/Revolution (first question) and Stalin (second question). Some of thepoints you may wish to explore in this question are: Stalin's policies onfamily life- the return to traditional values, increased role at home forwomen, and the end to the socially destructive "free love" policyunder Lenin. Also stalins policies on educating children- compulsory education,focus on core subjects, exams and regular homework- but fees for latereducation lead to elitism, with party children receiving priority withgovernment grants etc. The role of women in the workplace is also key- the Fiveyear plans and then the war led to women playing an increasing role- yet notrecognised by the government- women paid 60% of male salary for same job, alsoexpectation of playing increased role in domestic life AND the workplace leadsto a "double burden" on their time and energy.

Basically everythingyou need to write this essay is on pages 60-65 of the Stalin's Russia textbook(the one with the woman with the flowers on the front)
The examinersreports on the edexcel website also have high-scoring essays for most questionson every paper except 2009 ones which are really useful :-) good luck (ok justnoticed that there isn't a model answer for that question and the examinerreport says all the answers were rubbish :/)

Yeah I looked this up already, and yes I have already looked at the book, but from my point of view all the content is about how their lives did changed so I would find it difficult to incorporate the counter-argument
Hi!
Any of you have any wild guess' to what could come up in the exam? Haven't done any revision and hoping for a B:/ I'm so screwed!!:frown:
Hello, my teachers have reason to believe it might be on Soviet Culture (art, music, literature etc) or collectivisation as that hasn't come up much over the past few years. Last year, apparently it was the five year plans, so it shouldn't be that again but it's still good to know them :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by AncientApple3
Hello, my teachers have reason to believe it might be on Soviet Culture (art, music, literature etc) or collectivisation as that hasn't come up much over the past few years. Last year, apparently it was the five year plans, so it shouldn't be that again but it's still good to know them :smile:

yh thats what i reckon is gonna come up. You more confident for stalins or russia in revolution?
Original post by benSHTEE
yh thats what i reckon is gonna come up. You more confident for stalins or russia in revolution?

I'm actually struggling with Stalin's Russia, I've always found Russian history difficult to recall. How are you finding it?
Reply 17
im alright on russia in revolution, i think because we've been studying it for longer. But im struggling on Stalins russia. What it the highest you've got in an essay so far?
Ahh im not doing these units but i have my edexcel as on the same day, just different units obviously
goodluck all xD
ive completely finished the first half of unit 1 with exam technique etc, plan to have the 2nd part done by Friday, then spend Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue cramming lol.
I always cram oops.. i got an A in the mock by cramming so im praying!
I want an A so i can drop History in peace (i really haven't enjoyed it lol)
Hey guys :smile:

Not doing Stalin so feel free to ignore me but my two sections are Civil Rights in the USA (Pursuing Life and Liberty or something like that) and then the USA in Asia (Korea/Vietnam etc.). :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending