The Student Room Group

I just can't have a good shave

I've tried pretty much everything. Ordinary razors, safety razor, warm water, cold water, with the grain, against the grain, sensitive/dry skin shaving foam, sensitive/dry skin shaving gel, proraso shaving soap, cetaphil lotion after shaving, shaving in the shower, pressing lightly, pressing hard.

Basically I cut myself maybe once every 3 times I shave even when I take loads of care.

I sometimes get shaving rashes too.

My skin is ridiculously sensitive and can get dry too. I don't know what else to try to be honest. I don't think I can do much else. No matter if I buy 'the best products' and shave as carefully as possible, I think I'll always get cuts/rashes from it.
Have you used good quality safety razors and shaving soap, with a good shaving brush? If you use these good quality products and spend some time watching youtube vids etc of good shaving technique it will probably make a difference.

I used to have a lot of problems with shaving burn and thought my skin was too sensitive to shave every day but actually when I started using Feather blades (supposedly the sharpest) and a Merkur razor with Geo F Trumper shaving soap and a brush, then an alum block as post shave to finish it off, I have been able to shave every day and my skin is fine.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Have you used good quality safety razors and shaving soap, with a good shaving brush? If you use these good quality products and spend some time watching youtube vids etc of good shaving technique it will probably make a difference.

I used to have a lot of problems with shaving burn and thought my skin was too sensitive to shave every day but actually when I started using Feather blades (supposedly the sharpest) and a Merkur razor with Geo F Trumper shaving soap and a brush, then an alum block as post shave to finish it off, I have been able to shave every day and my skin is fine.

I have:
Merkur & Dovo HD 34C Safety Razor
Proraso sensitive shaving soap

Watched loads of youtube videos. To be honest, I don't get as bad shaving rash as I used to now that I'm using a good shaving soap but I still get it a bit. Also I think I've permanently damaged some of my skin that I have this redness that just will never go away.

Also, I don't have a brush. I was just wondering how much differnece it makes? I currently just rinse my face with a bit of hot water, take the soap and spread it across my face then shave. I didnt think a brush would be necessary and would be just an added cost (i'm trying to save money).
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
I have:

Watched loads of youtube videos. To be honest, I don't get as bad shaving rash as I used to now that I'm using a good shaving soap but I still get it a bit. Also I think I've permanently damaged some of my skin that I have this redness that just will never go away.

Also, I don't have a brush. I was just wondering how much differnece it makes? I currently just rinse my face with a bit of hot water, take the soap and spread it across my face then shave. I didnt think a brush would be necessary and would be just an added cost (i'm trying to save money).

You can't apply the soap properly without a brush, proper shaving soaps are designed for brushes to be used. Also surely all those youtube videos you watched had the guys applying it with a brush.

I use the men-u synthetic one and it has been great. You have to spend a bit to get good shaving kit in the first instance but it is well worth it for the improvement in your skin and the ongoing costs are quite low - the shaving soap lasts ages and the replacement blades are much cheaper than usual multiblade ones.
Reply 4
Maybe you're shaving vertically instead of stroking the razer across your face?
have you considered using an electric shaver? I use an electric shaver and I rarely/never get any cuts or rash
Reply 6
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
I have:

Wrt brushes you can spend a lot of money... but I've got one of these http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257338397 and I think it's perfectly acceptable - I just rinse & shake the water out after use so it won't rot, lasted 3 years so far and still seems great.

some people started with electrics may not realise that you're not supposed to go over and over the same place with a real blade.

also change the blade often - they only cost pennies for double edge so it's not worth chopping your face up with a battered blade.
Reply 7
use hair removal cream of try for permanent hair removal treatment, that is only solution for unwanted hair.

Quick Reply

Latest