The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hatemylife
Am I right in thinking that the correct and original pronunciation is Valet, as opposed to Va-lay?

The word is borrowed from French I believe. Hence, 'va-lay'.
Yes.
Reply 3
Original post by metro2610

My thoughts, too, but - poor reference, I know - in Gosford Park, the English characters call them Valets, and the Americans Va-lays.

Original post by thegoodthebadandtheTom
Yes.

Don't know why I quoted you. :smile:

Original post by HugoDuchovny
you had to use tsr for this

atleast throw in some sex, and controversy.
but mainly sex

You usually come to the English section for that, do you?
Reply 4
My thoughts, too, but - poor reference, I know - in Gosford Park, the English characters call them Valets, and the Americans Va-lays.

Haha, very odd referencing :').

Hmm, I'm not sure then... That's just how I've always understood it. I think the 'va-let' form has come from Anglo influence to create new adjectives and verbs: 'val-et-ed', 'val-et-ing' etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/valet

Then again, the site is American... :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
This seems relevant. David Mitchell discussing exactly this issue:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Haha, very odd referencing :').

Hmm, I'm not sure then... That's just how I've always understood it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/valet

Then again, the site is American... :s-smilie:

That's the site I had a look on. Hmm, my thinking is that Va-lay is an Americanism of sorts that has been adopted over here.
Reply 7
Original post by Geritak

:smile: The pretentious aspect is why I think it was originally Valet and Va-lay was adopted by others...
Reply 8
Original post by Geritak

:eek: I've never seen these! Amazing stuff :biggrin:

EDIT: And I've just realised that I'm actually a bit of a proud nerd when it comes to English :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
:smile: The pretentious aspect is why I think it was originally Valet and Va-lay was adopted by others...

I think his point, though, is that it can legitimately be either - it just depends on the context as to what you're potentially communicating about yourself. :tongue:

By that logic we would say Sank Port rather than Sink Port when pronouncing Cinque Port. Or lootenant instead of leftenant when pronouncing lieutenant. We don't.

The David Mitchell clip tells it as it is.

I believe it comes from the English word varlet (itself derived from the French valet) which helps to explain the prnunviation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
:eek: I've never seen these! Amazing stuff :biggrin:

Glad to be of service! :biggrin:

There's loads of them on Youtube, if you haven't checked there already, but they also do them as podcasts on iTunes. That's how I got into them. :cool:
Reply 12
There is but one way to pronounce the word valet. The word has been in usage in the English language since the Norman Conquest in 1066. Hence, the final "t" is invariably pronounced! It's "val it" phonetically. It's only within the past fifty years or so that uninformed Americans have come to drop the final "t" (as one would were one in France). It displays but one thing. It displays their ignorance generationally to the proper English AND American pronunciation of the word. PRONOUNCE THE FINAL "t" !! Follow the dictates of the fellow speaking so eloquently in the video already here-posted. He's spot on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Besides the fact that this thread is 3 years old, the pronunciation without the 't' is due to the word (at least when used in the context of a car valet, etc) being French. So before trolling you should maybe at least get your etymology facts right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frocio
There is but one way to pronounce the word valet. The word has been in usage in the English language since the Norman Conquest in 1066. Hence, the final "t" is invariably pronounced! It's "val it" phonetically. It's only within the past fifty years or so that uninformed Americans have come to drop the final "t" (as one would were one in France). It displays but one thing. It displays their ignorance generationally to the proper English AND American pronunciation of the word. PRONOUNCE THE FINAL "t" !! Follow the dictates of the fellow speaking so eloquently in the video already here-posted. He's spot on.

how might I ask do you pronounce Ballet, Berret, Depot and Merlot then? surely the most correct pronunciation is derived from the original etymology of the word? and to pronounce differently (forcing one's own grammatical paradigms on the word) is far more ignorant?

I'm sorry but I think this is one case where the Americans are less ignorant than the brits (or you).
Reply 15
It shouldn't be va-lay but val-è. If you're going to try and stick to the original pronunciation, do it right.
Original post by WaceMindu
how might I ask do you pronounce Ballet, Berret, Depot and Merlot then? surely the most correct pronunciation is derived from the original etymology of the word? and to pronounce differently (forcing one's own grammatical paradigms on the word) is far more ignorant?

I'm sorry but I think this is one case where the Americans are less ignorant than the brits (or you).

Presumably, you talk of Roma (and not Rome), Venezia (and not Venice), Firenze (and not Florence) and Wien (and not Vienna), then.
Reply 17
Original post by WaceMindu
Wow. Rudeness thy name is WaceMindu. I suggest no "paradigm", I only state fact. If you don't care how you sound, it's of no consequence to me. Yet I'm always fascinated by those who refuse to learn. Kindly change your tone when addressing me. Thanks. Whether you like or not, the English language is filled with idioms. The proper pronunciation of valet is among them. In my last post I explained that the change in pronunciation from the French of the word "valet" dates back to the Norman Conquest (Google it) in 1066. If you're ignorant to the genesis of the word's pronunciation, it's not up to me to have you say it properly. That's your choice. Trust me. Those who know the difference will make mental note. I'm only informing you of its proper pronunciation by those in the know.
I'm an American. Valet was not pronounced "val ay" until forty (or so) years ago in this country or in England, and it's a manifestation of American ignorance to the rules and idioms of the English tongue that enabled that mispronunciation. I invite you to keep right on pronouncing it the incorrect way. And simply an FYI? It's just the same as pronouncing the "t" in often. It's NOT pronounced, ever. But I'll not expect you to get that either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Smushy
It shouldn't be va-lay but val-è. If you're going to try and stick to the original pronunciation, do it right.
Properly said, either here or in the UK, it's pronunciation is as if it were written "val' it". The final "t" is pronounced.
Reply 19
Original post by rocket0612
Besides the fact that this thread is 3 years old, the pronunciation without the 't' is due to the word (at least when used in the context of a car valet, etc) being French. So before trolling you should maybe at least get your etymology facts right.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I realize how old the thread is. If they'd wanted it closed, I suspect it would be. I happened on it while attempting to explain the derivation of the proper "val'it" pronunciation of "valet" to a friend. Your terse response to my first post at this site is a good deal more akin to trolling than anything I've here-written since joining. The term is pronounced as if it were written "val' it" irrespective of its application. Kindly know what you're talking about before you make another fictitious post.

Latest

Trending

Trending