The Student Room Group

Going to UK or staying in Hungary?

Hello everyone,

My story is a bit strange. On january 13, 2014 one of my classmates was going on and on about her studying in the UK. I had no idea you could do that and what she told me sounded awesome, so by the next day I was sure that I'd try my luck and apply to some UK universities. Let's be realistic: I knew that with my Personal Statement written under 3 hours and with no previous experience I wouldn't go to any big universities. So I applied to the following places: Essex, Edinburgh, Exeter, Manchester and Glasgow (free Scottish education sounded really nice). Right now, I have an acceptance letter from all except for Edinburgh (I missed the part where I had to have an Advanced Maths exam). I also got my IELTS results which is a good 8.5 so that won't be a problem.

I read a lot about these universities but I'd much rather rely on the opinion of people actually living in the UK. The main choices I have is:
- University of Manchester, International Business, Finance and Economics
- University of Glasgow, Economics - my problem with this is that this is a 4year course resulting in MA, so there're no chances of doing my masters elsewhere
- University of Exeter, Business Economics
(I kinda don't want to go to Essex for personal reasons). I'm solely interested in the value of their degrees in the job market, not in the free time/dorm quality etc.
If I chose to study in Hungary, there's like 99% chance I'd get into the country's top university (currently I have 485points of 500).

My question is: which one do you think would be better - staying in Hungary of going to UK? If the latter, which university should I choose?
Thank you in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I mean, is that even a question? From a fellow Hungarian - don't stay in this country.
Reply 2
1. Which university in Hungary would that be?

2. Why not Essex?
Reply 3
1. I would go to Corvinus University of Budapest (probably International Business or Business and Management)

2. My ex is studying there and we have a very bad relationship. Also, a few weeks ago I had the chance to visit the campus and it wasn't really what I expected.

Right now, I'm leaning towards going to UK so I would really appreciate additional info on the universities above. Seeing as I have received my reply from all 5, I have very little time to decide where I want to go. Thank you
Reply 4
I am Hungarian and I'm going to the UK too. I have firmly accepted my offer to study Politics and Economics at the University of Nottingham.
Though, I applied to Corvinus University too, I don't really want to stay.
Whatever you choose, good luck!
Reply 5
I'm from the UK but did some humanitarian work with the poor in Hungary and I have to say. Hungary is a beautiful country with great people but for its education and its wages, you'd be better to study in the UK because your prospects will be brighter.

I mean lets be honest... the money Hungarians earn in their country is peanuts compared to the UK.
Reply 6
Thank you very much for your answers. I was hesitant to go abroad because while in Hungary I'd go to one of the top universities, the ones I was accepted to in the UK are not really among the top 10 and I don't know if a degree from, like, Exeter is worth much in the job market. Thoughts?

Edit: I almost forgot -

Original post by scsongor
I am Hungarian and I'm going to the UK too. I have firmly accepted my offer to study Politics and Economics at the University of Nottingham.
Though, I applied to Corvinus University too, I don't really want to stay.
Whatever you choose, good luck!

sok sikert scsongor! Te tervezel az egyetemi éveid után visszajönni Magyarországra vagy külföldön fogsz maradni?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you very much for your answers. I was hesitant to go abroad because while in Hungary I'd go to one of the top universities, the ones I was accepted to in the UK are not really among the top 10 and I don't know if a degree from, like, Exeter is worth much in the job market. Thoughts?

My reply is being moderated (I guess because the whole text was Hungarian), so:
I can imagine myself in both Hungary or the UK after uni. I have 2 plans in my head, but I haven't thought about the decision yet.
How about you? Where do you live, by the way? I could ask much, so send me a message if you want (because I can't).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by scsongor
I could ask much, so send me a message if you want (because I can't).

PM sent!
Reply 9
Original post by eszak

Well you can always get a degree in Hungary, then get a job in your country and earn less than you would with a job in the UK. Your pick.
Reply 10
Original post by revron77
Well you can always get a degree in Hungary, then get a job in your country and earn less than you would with a job in the UK. Your pick.

Then which of the 3 universities do you recommend?
Reply 11
Original post by eszak
Then which of the 3 universities do you recommend?

It does not matter on the Uni's ranking. It all depends on the courses rating on Unistats. You can have Universities with low rankings but great degrees in terms of employment.

For example: My degree in Teesside University has a low rating. BUT its paramedic degree program is one of the best in the country because of all its partners and lecturers. It also has a high satisfation rate and employment after 6 months is very very good with graduates earning £21,000 to £25,000. In addition the facilities are top of the range and provide a great place to learn. But if I took the Uni based on its number on a screen, that would all count for nothing.

Now if you really want to find out if your degree is worth the time and money, go on Unistats and look up all the statistics on employment - wages - student satisfaction etc... You need to do research on the program.
Reply 12
Original post by revron77
You need to do research on the program.

I did. I was curious about your _personal_ opinion, since as a Brit I assumed you might have heard about these universities/know someone who went there. I need some IRL experience, that's why I wrote here in the first place.
Reply 13
Hi eszak.

Since I'm Polish, I think I understand your problem and I've gone through the same dilemma. I would go to the UK if I were you. However, remember that at Corvinus you will have the Hungarian elite studying with you and we can't say the same about the Exeter. You see, the academic performance may differ very much but in the same time you also want to meet the most interesting people possible, and this is less likely at the tenth or twentieth uni, even in the UK.
Reply 14
It also depends entirely on the career you want afterwards.

Of those universities listed, Exeter is the best for career prospects.

However, in the UK now more than ever, the career you obtain is about more than just your university. It is about whether you do any internships, and if so, how many; whether you get actively involved in societies and notably take on positions of responsibility within societies as President or Treasurer; whether you go to conferences on at the university and get involved with the investment society to trips to investment houses in London; whether you get any awards whilst at university, for both academic and sporting achievement; etc. etc. etc.

In the UK, to get a good job with a good company, you need to have excellent grades and also be a well-rounded person showing your ability to juggle study and a swathe of ECs simultaneously.

Also, you need to be able to write good application forms. Gone is the day where you're pretty much head hunted, even at the likes of Oxford/Cambridge. You have to write good application forms and be able to pass the online tests and then perform well in the interview and group assessment centres.

If you can do the above, then you'll be fine and have a better chance of getting a job in the west with a degree from Exeter. If not, though, and Corvinus will guarantee you an amazing job in Hungary after university without having to do anything but pass your degree, well then it depends on whether you really want to leave Hungary long term and whether you want to put in the effort.
Reply 15
Original post by HOBIX
Hi eszak.

Since I'm Polish, I think I understand your problem and I've gone through the same dilemma. I would go to the UK if I were you. However, remember that at Corvinus you will have the Hungarian elite studying with you and we can't say the same about the Exeter. You see, the academic performance may differ very much but in the same time you also want to meet the most interesting people possible, and this is less likely at the tenth or twentieth uni, even in the UK.

Thank you very much for answering, this is exactly what I'm going through right now! I decided to accept my offer from Exeter and I switched my course to Economics. I also talked with the student application officer at Corvinus, she said if something goes wrong they are willing to accept my transfer (along with any credits) to their similar course. It's much easier to have a "plan B" in case anything goes wrong :smile:

Original post by .ACS.
It also depends entirely on the career you want afterwards.

Of those universities listed, Exeter is the best for career prospects.

However, in the UK now more than ever, the career you obtain is about more than just your university. It is about whether you do any internships, and if so, how many; whether you get actively involved in societies and notably take on positions of responsibility within societies as President or Treasurer; whether you go to conferences on at the university and get involved with the investment society to trips to investment houses in London; whether you get any awards whilst at university, for both academic and sporting achievement; etc. etc. etc.

In the UK, to get a good job with a good company, you need to have excellent grades and also be a well-rounded person showing your ability to juggle study and a swathe of ECs simultaneously.

Also, you need to be able to write good application forms. Gone is the day where you're pretty much head hunted, even at the likes of Oxford/Cambridge. You have to write good application forms and be able to pass the online tests and then perform well in the interview and group assessment centres.

If you can do the above, then you'll be fine and have a better chance of getting a job in the west with a degree from Exeter. If not, though, and Corvinus will guarantee you an amazing job in Hungary after university without having to do anything but pass your degree, well then it depends on whether you really want to leave Hungary long term and whether you want to put in the effort.

Thank you very much for the info, it's nice to know how things work in the UK. In the end (like, yesterday) I decided to go with Exeter. I'm not unfamiliar with internships, we have this in Hungary, too and I like to do extra-curricular work (right now, I'm president of the student council) so hopefully I'll be alright.
Original post by eszak
Hello everyone,

My story is a bit strange. On january 13, 2014 one of my classmates was going on and on about her studying in the UK. I had no idea you could do that and what she told me sounded awesome, so by the next day I was sure that I'd try my luck and apply to some UK universities. Let's be realistic: I knew that with my Personal Statement written under 3 hours and with no previous experience I wouldn't go to any big universities. So I applied to the following places: Essex, Edinburgh, Exeter, Manchester and Glasgow (free Scottish education sounded really nice). Right now, I have an acceptance letter from all except for Edinburgh (I missed the part where I had to have an Advanced Maths exam). I also got my IELTS results which is a good 8.5 so that won't be a problem.

I read a lot about these universities but I'd much rather rely on the opinion of people actually living in the UK. The main choices I have is:
- University of Manchester, International Business, Finance and Economics
- University of Glasgow, Economics - my problem with this is that this is a 4year course resulting in MA, so there're no chances of doing my masters elsewhere
- University of Exeter, Business Economics
(I kinda don't want to go to Essex for personal reasons). I'm solely interested in the value of their degrees in the job market, not in the free time/dorm quality etc.
If I chose to study in Hungary, there's like 99% chance I'd get into the country's top university (currently I have 485points of 500).

My question is: which one do you think would be better - staying in Hungary of going to UK? If the latter, which university should I choose?
Thank you in advance.

I know you've chose Exeter here but just a quick point for reference, the MA Economics program at Glasgow is not a 'Masters' program in the typical sense. Glasgow is one of a few Universities left that title some BA/Bsc programs MA's... The course title would be MA (hons) Economics... If this makes sense. Confusing I know, but the point is, you'd have the option to complete a 'masters' elsewhere of course.
Reply 17
You would probably get kicked out by the racist people in UK so stay in Hungary
Stay in eastern europe
Whether you should stay in Hungary or move to the UK is really up to you. Much depends also on where you would like to work after your degree. If it is in Hungary, it would make perfect sense to study there if you get into the top university in the country. If you are not sure, then UK universities can give an advantage (not only for the UK, but internationally).

In terms of the universities you mentioned, I prefer not to rank them, as I am in a different discipline. However I would not underestimate Manchester... As far as I know, Manchester's reputation among employers (at the international level) is impressive... Even higher than certain American Ivies. Obviously these kinds of ratings are based on surveys and they are not perfect. But I would keep Manchester in the "to watch" list (or at least ask for more information on the program and prospects).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending