The Student Room Group

Music - G7 Theory

I've just failed my grade 7 theory - but I got a merit on 6
should I do a-LEVEL MUSIC?
A level music and music theory grade exams are both very different because they assess different skills in different proportions. I personally found music theory grade exams enjoyable and manageable and got merit in lcm popular music theory grade 8 but I got a D at AS level music so it's different strokes for different folks and hard to know what to recommend really.

I personally believe that A levels in the arts are too rigid in their syllabuses and in how they're assessed and think btec and grades are the way forward but maybe that's just me.

I would recommend asking your music teacher at school what their thoughts are on you doing A level music but I think that it can be a lot of difficult work to get the higher grades at A level if it's not a subject you want to pursue (especially when there are other ways to pursue it). When it comes down to getting those all important ucas points music A level was a bit like flogging a dead horse for me but everyone is different.

Original post by wannabe medic
Reply 2

What have you done in terms of practical, and what's your composition like? They're much more important that the actual theory itself
Reply 3
Original post by AdaamCarter
What have you done in terms of practical, and what's your composition like? They're much more important that the actual theory itself

I am G7 ABRSM violin
and compositions A*
Reply 4
I am G7 ABRSM violin
and compositions A*

Take it if you're passionate about music, most music A-level students will only have grade 5 theory

Music complements sciences and maths (which I assume you're doing from your name)

I want to do medicine as well and I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and music next year.

Bear in mind that there are essays about Baroque music to write about

Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest