The Student Room Group

Pressure to pass ...

Hi TSR,
So I have been taking lessons over a course of 2 years ... on and off due to some things starting etc. My theory is going to expire next week and my test is in 2 days. Now, Ive spent a lot of money and cant bear to fail and redo my theory etc as I live at uni and will be doing my test in my hometown whilst im here for easter.

How can I stay calm and not let my nerves ruin it? My instructor says I am a good driver and should pass If i remain confident. But I will feel so bad having wasted my parents money if I end up failing.

Any advice? I was thinking of telling my examiner that my theory will expire soon and I desperately need a car for uni..try emotionally blackmail him/her lol.
Reply 1
Original post by firework2014
Hi TSR,
So I have been taking lessons over a course of 2 years ... on and off due to some things starting etc. My theory is going to expire next week and my test is in 2 days. Now, Ive spent a lot of money and cant bear to fail and redo my theory etc as I live at uni and will be doing my test in my hometown whilst im here for easter.

How can I stay calm and not let my nerves ruin it? My instructor says I am a good driver and should pass If i remain confident. But I will feel so bad having wasted my parents money if I end up failing.

Any advice? I was thinking of telling my examiner that my theory will expire soon and I desperately need a car for uni..try emotionally blackmail him/her lol.

Pretend you don't give a **** it works wonders at times.

Maybe listen to music while you're doing it, open the window.

Just listen to Aloe blacc I'm the man.
Reply 2
How to not feel pressure... If you find out, let me know.

Just take everything step by step. Don't rush, remember to check mirrors, etc.

Basically look at everything in steps - it's all easy really when you do that. It's not hard to pull away, not hard to drive along, not especially difficult to parallel park. Just do what you've been learning & you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Steezy
How to not feel pressure... If you find out, let me know.

Just take everything step by step. Don't rush, remember to check mirrors, etc.

Basically look at everything in steps - it's all easy really when you do that. It's not hard to pull away, not hard to drive along, not especially difficult to parallel park. Just do what you've been learning & you'll be fine.

When on a roundabout, before going into an exit, do I need to just check the rear view mirror and left door mirror? I read somewhere on TSR that someone failed for not looking over their shoulder.. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
When on a roundabout, before going into an exit, do I need to just check the rear view mirror and left door mirror? I read somewhere on TSR that someone failed for not looking over their shoulder.. :s-smilie:

Oh God... I really don't know - I passed about 8 years ago... I would say the blindspot should be checked when changing lanes on a motorway or moving into the centre of the road to (e.g) go past a bike.

Turning left off a roundabout shouldn't require you to check your blindspot as a motorcyclist shouldn't be over taking you from the left anyway.

But check all these questions with your instructor.
Original post by zed963
Pretend you don't give a **** it works wonders at times.

Maybe listen to music while you're doing it, open the window.

Just listen to Aloe blacc I'm the man.

lol'd

OP make sure you carry out your observations (rear view/wing mirror/blind spot)

DO THIS:
- whenever you change lanes
- approach a junction/roundabout
- get on dual carriage way.

It's good practice to check your mirrors regularly, regardless of whether you're about to do any of the above. Make it clear that you're checking your mirrors by turning your neck, no need to be subtle about it. Keep calm and change the gears whenever necessary, don't rush it and get into the wrong gear (if you do then foot on the cluch and just rectify your msitake quickly but calmly).
Reply 6
I was thinking of telling my examiner that my theory will expire soon and I desperately need a car for uni..try emotionally blackmail him/her lol.
Don't.

It doesn't make the slightest scrap of difference to their assessment of your driving and besides, they've heard it all before. Every day. Every week. Almost on every test. People seem to think that taking their test is like an X-factor audition where they need a pre-prepared sob story: how you are promised a job is you pass, how you will lose your job if you don't.. it gets old and after a while this really starts to wind them up.

The last thing you want to do on your driving test is to piss off the examiner, yet many do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending