The Student Room Group

OCR AS Biology

Basically i wondered whether anyone could test me on the content of as biology ocr a. It's f211 and f212. I think I'm ready or at least, I hope I am (still struggling to memorise microscopes and plants of f211). Also, how are you all revising?
(edited 9 years ago)
Heyy im doing same course but feel unprepared how did u revise?
do past papers now u feel confident
how have your isas gone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
best way to test yourself would be past papers & I'm still covering unit 2 for it ... dreading the exam :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hamza...
best way to test yourself would be past papers & I'm still covering unit 2 for it ... dreading the exam :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

i find unit 1 harder, iv been avoidng it all year haha biggest mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XXSimmyXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. Most of F212 is okay - just need to memorise a few things. Haven't started on the ecology section though... I'm basically doing past papers but other than that, I can't really think of what else to do because I keep forgetting things. Anyway, onto some questions for you all (like that AQA post):

How is the heart beat initiated and coordinated?
Original post by QuidditchFan
I agree. Most of F212 is okay - just need to memorise a few things. Haven't started on the ecology section though... I'm basically doing past papers but other than that, I can't really think of what else to do because I keep forgetting things. Anyway, onto some questions for you all (like that AQA post):

How is the heart beat initiated and coordinated?

when you do past papers do you look through your notes and stuff?

hmmm is that question to do with the SAN and AVN and the purkyne and bundle of His?

Posted from TSR Mobile
when you do past papers do you look through your notes and stuff?

hmmm is that question to do with the SAN and AVN and the purkyne and bundle of His?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I don't. That way, I know what I know and don't know...not sure if that's the best way though because Biology is a lot about wording. And yes, that question is about SAN and AVN - do you want to have a go at answering?
No, I don't. That way, I know what I know and don't know...not sure if that's the best way though because Biology is a lot about wording. And yes, that question is about SAN and AVN - do you want to have a go at
erm so this is my problem...iknow what its about but i cant answer it properly :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

unit 2 is so hard, esp the longer mark qs
Original post by games211
unit 2 is so hard, esp the longer mark qs

tbh i havent been soing past papers so havelt looked at the questions, i just find tbe topics more enjoyable and when i revise bio.its always unit 2 like its just easier to.sit and read the book

Posted from TSR Mobile
tbh i havent been soing past papers so havelt looked at the questions, i just find tbe topics more enjoyable and when i revise bio.its always unit 2 like its just easier to.sit and read the book

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. But if you have a try at the above Q, it might be more useful and then I could tell you how you'd do.
Likewise, I don't mind telling you what I'd put. Would someone mind asking me some Qs? Preferably on plants (f211), microscopes(f211), health and disease (f212) and lungs (f211).
Likewise, I don't mind telling you what I'd put. Would someone mind asking me some Qs? Preferably on plants (f211), microscopes(f211), health and disease (f212) and lungs (f211).

what do we nees to knkw about plants???

okkk....
name the vector for malaria
also how would u have answered the other question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do we nees to knkw about plants???

okkk....
name the vector for malaria
also how would u have answered the other question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vector for malaria is the female anaphales mosquito.

With the other question, talk about how SAN initiates wave of excitation, which spreads across atria and causes them to contract. Then electrical impulse stops at the disc of tissue between the atria and ventricles so that atria can finish contracting. The AVN sends an electrical impulse goes down the septum between the ventricles down to the base of the ventricles (not sure if that's right so look it up) and hen the electrical impulse is sent from the base of the ventricles upwards so that ventricles contract at the same time. Anything else to add?

Another question - describe the process of inspiration and expiration.
I hate how the mark scheme is so specific eugh, I end up just writing flash cards on what the mark scheme wants me to know to be honest.
I feel prepared in some ways but I know that I won't a few days before the exam ahhh.
Vector for malaria is the female anaphales mosquito.

With the other question, talk about how SAN initiates wave of excitation, which spreads across atria and causes them to contract. Then electrical impulse stops at the disc of tissue between the atria and ventricles so that atria can finish contracting. The AVN sends an electrical impulse goes down the septum between the ventricles down to the base of the ventricles (not sure if that's right so look it up) and hen the electrical impulse is sent from the base of the ventricles upwards so that ventricles contract at the same time. Anything else to add?

Another question - describe the process of inspiration and expiration.

to add to the answer, you could probably just say why it contracts from the bottom of the ventricle- to ensure all the blood from the ventricles is pushed up and out of the ventricles. Not sure if it's needed that much, but just an extra point which my teacher suggested as a challenge question. :tongue:
Other than that, that answer would probably get you full marks

Quick Reply

Latest