The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by gmj1892
Was thinking about the Azzurri earlier today when discussing the World Cup with a friend.

If you were Prandelli, what would be your first XI this summer? Assuming everyone's fit.

Buffon (although I don't rate him as much as I used to, there isn't really any other Italian keeper better than him, possibly Marchetti and Sirigu but meh).

Abate, Barzagli, Chiellini, De Sciglio

Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo

El Shaarawy, Balotelli, Cerci
Original post by Basiji
Buffon (although I don't rate him as much as I used to, there isn't really any other Italian keeper better than him, possibly Marchetti and Sirigu but meh).

Prandelli does not rate El Shaarawy at all. Candreva could feature imo.
Original post by Basiji

How good would it be if Giuseppe Rossi was there.
Reply 984
Why the **** is Inter linked with every ****ty 30+ player that is way passed their sell by date? Evra, Vidic, Eto'o, Sagna etc. Are we like a retirement home or something? Ffs Mazzari.
Reply 985
Original post by little_tom
Prandelli does not rate El Shaarawy at all. Candreva could feature imo.

I'd have Candreva over El Shaarawy too, particularly as the latter has barely played this season.

Would people take Totti if he displayed a willingness to come out of retirement?

That Hamsik link is terrifying by the way!
From what I saw (which was only bits due to watching Porto) I feel Milan were unlucky to go into HT being 1-0 down. Kaka had that great double chance only for Buffon to save one shot and then Bonucci to save his rebound off the line. Sounds like Milan were unlucky throughout though but I guess this is what can happen if you don’t take your chances, especially against a Juve side as good as this. That goal by Tevez was absolutely stunning too.

I also caught parts of the Livorno-Napoli match. What a terrible goal to concede by Napoli, a horrible howler by Reina. Napoli were disappointing though, a poor performance by them. A perfect chance for Fiorentina to close the gap for the CL spot only for them to mess up by losing to Lazio.

I managed to watch Cagliari-Udinese this morning too. I’ve certainly had my fair share of Italian football today. I feel the score line flatters Cagliari but a great win for them, especially with everyone below them not managing to win so they’ve been able to create a bit more of gap from the relegation zone.

A good round of games next week with the top four playing each other. Juve-Fiorentina with the early Sunday morning KO and then Napoli-Roma with the late Sunday KO. Parma-Verona also on the Sunday which should be a good battle for the Europa League spot.
Original post by Basiji
Why the **** is Inter linked with every ****ty 30+ player that is way passed their sell by date? Evra, Vidic, Eto'o, Sagna etc. Are we like a retirement home or something? Ffs Mazzari.

Not linked anymore, it's official. TBH, he'll struggle up against pace but who wouldn't at 32 but still he's fearless and strong in the air. Not sure what your defence is like atm but sure he will add something to it. But it seems Inter's new president was keen to announce this to show he means "business" by bringing in experienced players rather than spending lots of money on younger players. He doesn't seem a billionaire-type owner but a more modest but still decently wealthy one.
Reply 988
Original post by Basiji

Vidic is a good signing tbf. So would Sagna on a free. Vidic, Samuel and Campagnaro would make an old but beasty defence :sogood:
Reply 989
Gervinho. Emotional :moon:
Original post by 419
Gervinho. Emotional :moon:

Same old Gervinho, making solid moved left right and centre with no final product whatsoever. So far at least
Reply 991
Looks like the relegation battle is the only thing left to play for...

It's a shame because I genuinely envisaged 6 or so teams fighting for the top 3.
I don't think you can ever get bored of watching a Pirlo free kick. They all just look so effortless and like he could take them with his eyes shut. Absolutely perfect.
Original post by ra-ra-ra
I don't think you can ever get bored of watching a Pirlo free kick. They all just look so effortless and like he could take them with his eyes shut. Absolutely perfect.

Another one today.

One of the few greats still playing top class football.

Look at the swags

how elegant.
Reply 994
People probably won't appreciate the intelligence behind that. Looking at the position the keeper took (too crouched down) and his follow through or lack there of, that was a chipped with pace.
Reply 995
Huge win for Bologna that.
Goals galore in Serie A this weekend, some great goals too. Taddei for Roma yesterday, then today Dries Mertens scored a stunner, both Torino goals were decent, Cuadrado for Fiorentina, Iturbe with a run from his own half and a cool finish, and then Montolivo for Milan tonight.
Reply 997
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Goals galore in Serie A this weekend, some great goals too. Taddei for Roma yesterday, then today Dries Mertens scored a stunner, both Torino goals were decent, Cuadrado for Fiorentina, Iturbe with a run from his own half and a cool finish, and then Montolivo for Milan tonight.

The Torino goals were my favourites, brilliant strikes in dramatic circumstances.

Big win for Chievo this weekend, I think they're pretty much safe now. Bologna have the 3 point advantage over Livorno and Sassuolo, quite fancy them to stay up from here.
Original post by gmj1892
The Torino goals were my favourites, brilliant strikes in dramatic circumstances.

Big win for Chievo this weekend, I think they're pretty much safe now. Bologna have the 3 point advantage over Livorno and Sassuolo, quite fancy them to stay up from here.

Best thing about this weekend was surely the soap opera at Samp between Icardi and Maxi Lopez :biggrin:.
Reply 999
Original post by mojojojo101
Best thing about this weekend was surely the soap opera at Samp between Icardi and Maxi Lopez :biggrin:.

#teammaxi

Quick Reply

Latest