The Student Room Group

I can't remember anything!!

Hi, I'm trying to revise History but I'm really worried I'm going to fail :s-smilie:
I've forgot pretty much everythingI've been taught from unit 1 despite being attentive in class and doing all my homework and doing extra work during the year
My memory is just getting worse!
I've been revising during the half term but I've forgot most of what I've revised so far
Heeelp
Reply 1
Maybe the way you are revising isn't the best way for you? How are you revising?:smile:
Original post by breakingno
Hi, I'm trying to revise History but I'm really worried I'm going to fail :s-smilie:
I've forgot pretty much everythingI've been taught from unit 1 despite being attentive in class and doing all my homework and doing extra work during the year
My memory is just getting worse!
I've been revising during the half term but I've forgot most of what I've revised so far
Heeelp

Don't panic - you've got plenty of time :smile: As the above poster says, maybe you're not revising in a very effective way? What do you usually do? For me (I'm also revising history atm), I type up my notes that I've kept all year. It's quick, I can't get rid of any mistakes and I can cut out all the pointless stuff. My teacher said to aim for one or two A4 pages of bullet points for each topic within each section...if that makes sense...but, for example, I did Russia in Revolution for Unit 1 edexcel history and for chapter 1, I did two A4 pages on the reign of Alexandder III...and then one page on Witte...etc. But basically, get typing. Then print them off and start learning the facts with a highlighter or by saying them out loud. Revision is memorisation! I find that learning in 12 minute chunks helps...I do 12 minutes memorising a certain set of facts and then I take a break...and then another 12 minutes etc.

Also, maybe you're looking at all your notes and panicking because you're only noticing all the stuff you don't know too well? Like, are you ignoring the things you do know? Try not to worry too much as this will cloud your memory...instead tell yourself not to panic and learn to trust your brain! I hope this helps a little :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kimmy2014
Maybe the way you are revising isn't the best way for you? How are you revising?:smile:

I've tried a few ways, making flashcards for key facts, mindmaps, essay plans, putting information into tables and doing past papers :confused:
Okay, I study from home which means I get very little lesson contact time. For history I ALWAYS do a detailed timeline of all the most important events. For example, I will start with a brief list of events. I am studying Britain from 1900-24 so I start with the basic events in 1900, then divide my work into sub categories with the first being the Conservative government and the problems they faced ect. It doesn't have to be too detailed, but I find that this way I will never forget the dates because I can just skim through it. On top of this read through your work and textbooks (I recommend the 'access to history' ones for AS/A level) and try to make more detailed notes on the key events if you can. Chances are the knowledge is in there, you just need a few reminders to bring it back and make it stay.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by breakingno
I've tried a few ways, making flashcards for key facts, mindmaps, essay plans, putting information into tables and doing past papers :confused:

Ok well I've tried ALL of them but I found that the best way for me to revise was to listen to lyricless music (I have trouble concentrating) and just rewriting all the notes I have. Then once I've written out the notes I'll make some.... Okay ALOT of flashcards (they don't have to be fancy- all I did was grab some lined paper and cut it into 4 equal pieces of paper which I write questions on the front, answers on back.) and then I get my poor mother to ask me the questions which takes like 1 hour haha. With History well... I do RS so it's in a way similar so for RS I've typed out EVERY single possible essay that could come up and then made in depth mindmaps. I write out the essays in timed conditions and as I'm writing out the essays I just tend to remember what I'm writing as long as I write it as much as I can.
Keep trying different methods until you find the one for you but don't just try the method once because it might be the most effective but might take a few tries to sink in.
Original post by BeautifulPotato
Don't panic - you've got plenty of time :smile: As the above poster says, maybe you're not revising in a very effective way? What do you usually do? For me (I'm also revising history atm), I type up my notes that I've kept all year. It's quick, I can't get rid of any mistakes and I can cut out all the pointless stuff. My teacher said to aim for one or two A4 pages of bullet points for each topic within each section...if that makes sense...but, for example, I did Russia in Revolution for Unit 1 edexcel history and for chapter 1, I did two A4 pages on the reign of Alexandder III...and then one page on Witte...etc. But basically, get typing. Then print them off and start learning the facts with a highlighter or by saying them out loud. Revision is memorisation! I find that learning in 12 minute chunks helps...I do 12 minutes memorising a certain set of facts and then I take a break...and then another 12 minutes etc.

Also, maybe you're looking at all your notes and panicking because you're only noticing all the stuff you don't know too well? Like, are you ignoring the things you do know? Try not to worry too much as this will cloud your memory...instead tell yourself not to panic and learn to trust your brain! I hope this helps a little :smile:

Hey I'm also doing the same course. Do you just type up dates/evidence in your notes or evaluations :smile:
Original post by Alltimesarah
Hey I'm also doing the same course. Do you just type up dates/evidence in your notes or evaluations :smile:

Dates of the main things like 1861 = Emancipation of the serfs. But then also bullet points to explain the significance and consequences of these events (I use the text book all the time!) My notes are very extensive but I find that typing them up helps me to remember the course and also gives me a good overview of the timeline.
Original post by BeautifulPotato
Dates of the main things like 1861 = Emancipation of the serfs. But then also bullet points to explain the significance and consequences of these events (I use the text book all the time!) My notes are very extensive but I find that typing them up helps me to remember the course and also gives me a good overview of the timeline.

Awesome, what textbook did you use as my school hasn't given one (only sheets) :smile:
Original post by Alltimesarah
Awesome, what textbook did you use as my school hasn't given one (only sheets) :smile:

I got mine (I have one for my Russia in Revolution part of the unit and one for my China part) off Amazon...they're the official edexcel ones...I think I just typed in the name of the unit and edexcel and the first few that came up had really good reviews! There is a really good revision guide as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending