The Student Room Group

A2 French speaking exam - help!

Salut!
So my A2 French speaking exam is a month today and I am already panicking so much about it (I'm on AQA by the way). I'm feeling confident-ish on the card discussion, but it's the cultural topics that I'm really worried about. Apparently it can really put you at a disadvantage if your examiner doesn't challenge you and your questions? I'm not the sort of person to write out questions and answers and learn the answers off by heart so I can repeat it word for word in the exam, but I'm not very confident about spontaneously speaking and analysing out loud either. My cultural topics are Les Choristes which I feel fairly confident on (touch wood) and La Peste by Camus which we've hardly studied and I feel that is where I'm going to lose marks.
Does anyone have any tips for what to learn in preparation for this part of the exam and whether I can give my teacher hints before the exam on things to ask me?
Merci beaucoup:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi

I suggest with Camus read the english version and understand the story and then look on the internet for french translation and go through methodically and pick out some key themes in the text. I known etrangere by Camus (sorry lack of accents there) but i would just suggest writing down some key things to learn for the card and practice speaking aloud for a few hours each day. My AQA oral exam is in 3 weeks and i have found it so helpful to speak aloud the content of what you want to say and go through the AQA textbook and make some points on all the cultural topics you could be asked. Make sure you expand on your points so dont just write down 5 points and then be done with it make sure you develop the 5 points. You could use a spider diagram or something like that. I find that colours can be particularly useful :smile:

Hope this helps and good luck i'm sure you'll be fine.

Any other questions just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bstar
Hi

I suggest with Camus read the english version and understand the story and then look on the internet for french translation and go through methodically and pick out some key themes in the text. I known etrangere by Camus (sorry lack of accents there) but i would just suggest writing down some key things to learn for the card and practice speaking aloud for a few hours each day. My AQA oral exam is in 3 weeks and i have found it so helpful to speak aloud the content of what you want to say and go through the AQA textbook and make some points on all the cultural topics you could be asked. Make sure you expand on your points so dont just write down 5 points and then be done with it make sure you develop the 5 points. You could use a spider diagram or something like that. I find that colours can be particularly useful :smile:

Hope this helps and good luck i'm sure you'll be fine.

Any other questions just ask :smile:

Thank you, and good luck too!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hey! Although in not doing A2 french i'll be sitting for my edexcel igcse french speaking exam. i don't know how to prepare for it. any help/advice would be really appreciated. Got them in like 2 weeks :afraid: so need serious help immediately!!
Reply 4
Original post by D_Vadgama
Hey! Although in not doing A2 french i'll be sitting for my edexcel igcse french speaking exam. i don't know how to prepare for it. any help/advice would be really appreciated. Got them in like 2 weeks :afraid: so need serious help immediately!!

Do you have a set of questions and answers already written out and prepared? That's what I did for my GCSE and I just learnt them by heart. I'm not sure how different the IGCSE is to normal GCSE but try to speak French as often as you can and work on pronunciation and spontaneity, that should help a bit!
Reply 5
Hey, I've got my French speaking for A2 exam on 15th May! Haven't started revision yet, but I still have a week of the Easter Holidays to make some revision notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My A2 oral is in the first week of May... eek!

My cultural topics are l'Etranger and French Occupation. To be honest, I'm not that worried about the stimulus card/debate because we have 20 mins prep time, and you'll never know exactly what's going to be on the card. However, I'm struggling with the cultural topic revision... I feel like I'm just revising summaries of l'Etranger and facts for the Occupation. Does anyone have a list of possible questions for these topics? Do we need to know the context of Camus' life and the society in which he wrote?

Thanks, and good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by gracelich
Hey, I've got my French speaking for A2 exam on 15th May! Haven't started revision yet, but I still have a week of the Easter Holidays to make some revision notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! How are you feeling about it?
Reply 8
Original post by ArtisticFlair
My A2 oral is in the first week of May... eek!

My cultural topics are l'Etranger and French Occupation. To be honest, I'm not that worried about the stimulus card/debate because we have 20 mins prep time, and you'll never know exactly what's going to be on the card. However, I'm struggling with the cultural topic revision... I feel like I'm just revising summaries of l'Etranger and facts for the Occupation. Does anyone have a list of possible questions for these topics? Do we need to know the context of Camus' life and the society in which he wrote?

Thanks, and good luck!

For Camus, I'm looking into the philosophy behind La Peste and trying to link it to some of the ideas or even characters in the book, maybe you could do the same for l'Etranger? But most of my questions are about themes and developments throughout the story. Bonne chance aussi!
Reply 9
I did this exam last year and felt similarly underprepared :redface: My topics were Un Sac de Billes by Joseph Joffo which I knew quite well, and L'Avare by Moliere which I knew next to nothing about, because I'd had something ridiculous like 5-6 lessons on it. So I had to devise some tactics for L'Avare! I would sum them up as:

1. Ensure you know the story, at least the key plot points (you won't go into massive detail in 5 minutes)
2. Pick 2 main themes and create a bit to say about each of them e.g. key moments/characters which relate to the theme
3. Pick a favourite character and why you like them
4. Know what the author's main aim with writing the book was
5. Have something to say regarding the historical/social context. Doesn't have to be very much, for L'Avare I only said a little bit, no more than 20-30 seconds about the role of women in the 17th century and the examiner was happy
6. Prepare for the classic "do you like the book? would you recommend it? why did you like it?" questions

If you'd like, I actually have an example full-marks essay somewhere about La Peste that we got given as an example of how to write the one in the exam. It's got some good paragraphs that you could steal! :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by TheBookOwl
x

Thank you for this, it's a real help!!:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by sammyruse
Good luck! How are you feeling about it?

Thanks, and I'm feeling neutral at the moment. I think once I make revision cards I'll be fine. Haven't had much speaking practice this year, as we have a really poor French assistant, so I've avoided seeing her.
I'm studying Jean de Florette and La Haine as my cultural topics. Got all the notes for them.... Just need to revise them! What are you aiming for this year? And how are you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thanks, and I'm feeling neutral at the moment. I think once I make revision cards I'll be fine. Haven't had much speaking practice this year, as we have a really poor French assistant, so I've avoided seeing her.
I'm studying Jean de Florette and La Haine as my cultural topics. Got all the notes for them.... Just need to revise them! What are you aiming for this year? And how are you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really nervous about it, as speaking has never been my strong point. But we've been lucky and had a really good assistant this year so he's been a great help, and I'm feeling a lot more confident about answering questions on the spot. I need a B to get into uni, but an A would also be fab! How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm really nervous about it, as speaking has never been my strong point. But we've been lucky and had a really good assistant this year so he's been a great help, and I'm feeling a lot more confident about answering questions on the spot. I need a B to get into uni, but an A would also be fab! How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, it's great that you've had a good French assistant. I need an A to get into uni.... So need to get cracking with revision. Answering questions spontaneously is fine for me, as I'm one of those people who just keeps talking no matter what. My mock oral is next tuesday though! What are you doing at uni next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Ahh, it's great that you've had a good French assistant. I need an A to get into uni.... So need to get cracking with revision. Answering questions spontaneously is fine for me, as I'm one of those people who just keeps talking no matter what. My mock oral is next tuesday though! What are you doing at uni next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! I'm doing French and beginners Spanish at Swansea, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Good luck! I'm doing French and beginners Spanish at Swansea, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, nice! I kind of wish I had chosen to do joint honours with French. I'm hopefully going to do History at UCL. Good luck too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I've got my french speaking on the 2nd May (this friday) and I'm studying La Haine and also the region of Nice. Wish I knew the speaking cards; desperate to debate on immigration or integration because I know it so well!
Original post by Suky
I've got my french speaking on the 2nd May (this friday) and I'm studying La Haine and also the region of Nice. Wish I knew the speaking cards; desperate to debate on immigration or integration because I know it so well!

Good luck, let me know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Suky

I'm feeling the same on the cards, I'm great on immigration/integration/racism but terrible on science/technology! Good luck for Friday!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Good luck, let me know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending