The Student Room Group

Questions about applying to SFE

Hello,

I've got a few questions about student finance !! I'm trying to apply BUT :

I've got british nationality but have been living in the EU most of my life. I called SFE twice (to make sure), asking if I would still be able to get a maintenance loan, and they said yes, yet I don't seem to fit in the conditions I can find on their website. Who should I trust ? Would it be possible to apply as a national AND as an EU, so that both options are open ?

Also, I haven't got a british bank acount, and need a letter from university to open one. I can't get this letter before I meet the requirements. Can I still apply for tuition AND maintenance loan before I have a bank account, and fill in the details later ?

Last but not least, how do I get my national insurance number if I'm currently living in France ?

Thank you for your help !! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by french mouse
Hello,

I've got a few questions about student finance !! I'm trying to apply BUT :

I've got british nationality but have been living in the EU most of my life. I called SFE twice (to make sure), asking if I would still be able to get a maintenance loan, and they said yes, yet I don't seem to fit in the conditions I can find on their website. Who should I trust ? Would it be possible to apply as a national AND as an EU, so that both options are open ?

Also, I haven't got a british bank acount, and need a letter from university to open one. I can't get this letter before I meet the requirements. Can I still apply for tuition AND maintenance loan before I have a bank account, and fill in the details later ?

Last but not least, how do I get my national insurance number if I'm currently living in France ?

Thank you for your help !! :smile:

The website I'm afraid- nationality is irrelevant. Unless you can prove that your residence outside the UK is temporary e,g, through a parents contract then you can only get a tuition fee loan. As an EU student you can only apply on paper.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
The website I'm afraid- nationality is irrelevant. Unless you can prove that your residence outside the UK is temporary e,g, through a parents contract then you can only get a tuition fee loan. As an EU student you can only apply on paper.

Ok, thanks for you reply :smile:

It's really weird they both gave the same answer though ? Shouldn't they give correct informartion ? This is really going to determine all my finance really...

Do you think it would be possible to still try and apply as a national student and send the EU documents at the same time ? Or would it be considered as fraud ? :smile:
Reply 3
Ok, thanks for you reply :smile:

It's really weird they both gave the same answer though ? Shouldn't they give correct informartion ? This is really going to determine all my finance really...

Do you think it would be possible to still try and apply as a national student and send the EU documents at the same time ? Or would it be considered as fraud ? :smile:

yes but student finance aren't known for their competence! and to apply for a UK maintainance loan you need a national insurance number which you wont have and a UK address.
Reply 4
Hello! :smile: Does anyone know if we need to translate into English the supporting documents we must send along (like the birth certificate)? They don't state it clearly on their website.

I was thinking of emailing them but just thought I could get a faster answer on here... but oh well, might do it tomorrow :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jenn.
Hello! :smile: Does anyone know if we need to translate into English the supporting documents we must send along (like the birth certificate)? They don't state it clearly on their website.

I was thinking of emailing them but just thought I could get a faster answer on here... but oh well, might do it tomorrow :smile:

don't bother emailing, I don't know if they even reply to emails. If you want to contact student finance you need to phone. Why would you need to send your birth certificate? I believe student finance only ask for the passport or id card
Reply 6
Original post by Jenn.

Hi ! :smile:

Just wondering how much our cases are similar ? Are you applying as en EU or nation al student ?

As for emailing them... Don't bother! Follow jelly1000's advice! ^^
Reply 7
don't bother emailing, I don't know if they even reply to emails. If you want to contact student finance you need to phone. Why would you need to send your birth certificate? I believe student finance only ask for the passport or id card

Ah, okay. :smile: Will phone then.

Sorry, I misread it: it's just for students from the Republic of Ireland. So, I guess you're right: I don't need to send it.

But do you think I really need to translate into English my passport and national ID card? :smile: I mean, it's in French so it must not be hard to just read my name. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Hi ! :smile:

Just wondering how much our cases are similar ? Are you applying as en EU or nation al student ?

As for emailing them... Don't bother! Follow jelly1000's advice! ^^

Okay, thanks. I will just phone them. :smile:

I'm applying as an EU student. :smile: But what's an ''al student'' though?
Reply 9
Original post by Jenn.
Okay, thanks. I will just phone them. :smile:

I'm applying as an EU student. :smile: But what's an ''al student'' though?

It's national! x) Obviously my proof-reading is not at its most effecient... :colondollar:

And thanks for the answer! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
It's national! x) Obviously my proof-reading is not at its most effecient... :colondollar:

And thanks for the answer! :smile:

Hahaha :smile: it's fine.

You're welcome! Thanks to you, too French mouse. :smile:
Original post by Jenn.
Ah, okay. :smile: Will phone then.

Sorry, I misread it: it's just for students from the Republic of Ireland. So, I guess you're right: I don't need to send it.

But do you think I really need to translate into English my passport and national ID card? :smile: I mean, it's in French so it must not be hard to just read my name. :s-smilie:

ive no idea sorry
Reply 12
ive no idea sorry

Oh well, thanks though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending