The Student Room Group

Advice for applying to medicine

Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 studying for AS and I have a lot of questions about applying for medicine and would appreciate any advice!

First of all, I was wondering which unis I should apply to; they're all asking for roughly the same grades so it's difficult to tell which ones would suit me best. At the moment I like the sound of Nottingham but apparently you need at least 7A*s at GCSE to be accepted. Which are the best unis? Any advice for getting in to them?

Secondly, (but also sort of linked to the first point) my tutor at college thinks I'm capable of getting into Cambridge but I attended a meeting about applying for medicine where they said that Cambridge would only accept applicants with a minimum of 9A*s at GCSE. Should I apply to Cambridge? If so, which college should I apply to?

GCSEs: 6A*s (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit, French & Spanish), 3As (Physics, Geography & English Lang), 1C (Art) & passes in various short courses (RE, Digital Communication, IT).
A Levels: Studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. Hoping to get As in all four at AS and A2, but I could possibly get A*s in three of them (including French, however I'm not sure if I should continue with this one to A Level).

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated (eg work experience, volunteering, open days, extracurricular activities etc). Sorry, that was quite long...
Original post by AmberL2005
Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 studying for AS and I have a lot of questions about applying for medicine and would appreciate any advice!

First of all, I was wondering which unis I should apply to; they're all asking for roughly the same grades so it's difficult to tell which ones would suit me best. At the moment I like the sound of Nottingham but apparently you need at least 7A*s at GCSE to be accepted. Which are the best unis? Any advice for getting in to them?

Secondly, (but also sort of linked to the first point) my tutor at college thinks I'm capable of getting into Cambridge but I attended a meeting about applying for medicine where they said that Cambridge would only accept applicants with a minimum of 9A*s at GCSE. Should I apply to Cambridge? If so, which college should I apply to?

GCSEs: 6A*s (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit, French & Spanish), 3As (Physics, Geography & English Lang), 1C (Art) & passes in various short courses (RE, Digital Communication, IT).
A Levels: Studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. Hoping to get As in all four at AS and A2, but I could possibly get A*s in three of them (including French, however I'm not sure if I should continue with this one to A Level).

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated (eg work experience, volunteering, open days, extracurricular activities etc). Sorry, that was quite long...

Alright, I've just finished my med school applications and I've got offers from UCL, King's C, and Manchester. I also applied to cambridge, and got rejected (I'll explain why).

Alrighty, the NO.1 thing you must cover for a med application is Work Experience and Volunteering. Med schools really like hospital/ GP setting work experience placements and absolutely love long term committed involvement in volunteering (doesn't matter where you want to volunteer, ideally nursing home etc)

Alrighty then, let's start answering your questions.

1) Best Unis - Well all med schools around the Uk are pretty similar, but the 'best' tend to be around london (UCL, Queen Mary's etc.) and Oxbridge, only because the exposure you get during your clinical years is quite unparalled. But apart from that all med schools are pretty much the same and are all very presigious to get into! Choose unis which you feel comfortable with in terms of city vs campus, PBL vs traditional teaching, and just the general vibe you get from open days etc.

2) Alright, in terms of Cambridge. You need to be really good on your GCSEs(which you have done! :smile: ) and AS levels(they ask for your UMS, so mid 90s is advised).
Personally, I applied to cambridge and all my med schools as an International candidate, so it was slightly more difficult for me, but essentially at GCSE I got 10A*s and at during my AS year, I got 3 As(96 avg) and an A* in maths(completed early). But I still got rejected....

So if you want to apply to cambridge, make sure you ask yourself why?
If it's simply for the prestige, I'd advise against it. They are very cut throat! Obviously if you do brill at AS and you like Cambridge as a Uni, by all means have a crack, but know your priorities, as it will take up a Med slot, which another, perhaps easier-to-get-into med school could have taken up

Finally, if possible try and start/join a medsoc, and keep up to date on current affairs and ethical debates.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice for your UKCAT (It's the dumbest, most stupid fricking test in the world, but atm it's needed to get into med school :redface:) and revise a lot of GCSE now itself in prep for your BMAT if you plan on applying to Oxbridge, Imp, or UCL.

Try and attend some interview courses as well (I went to ACe Medicine and ISC, which were really good)!

Best of luck amber! :smile: Try your very very best, and don't get bogged down. There will be tough times ahead with a lot of anxiety, but always remember the light at the end of the tunnel! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by futuredoctorVSB
Alright, I've just finished my med school applications and I've got offers from UCL, King's C, and Manchester. I also applied to cambridge, and got rejected (I'll explain why).

Alrighty, the NO.1 thing you must cover for a med application is Work Experience and Volunteering. Med schools really like hospital/ GP setting work experience placements and absolutely love long term committed involvement in volunteering (doesn't matter where you want to volunteer, ideally nursing home etc)

Alrighty then, let's start answering your questions.

1) Best Unis - Well all med schools around the Uk are pretty similar, but the 'best' tend to be around london (UCL, Queen Mary's etc.) and Oxbridge, only because the exposure you get during your clinical years is quite unparalled. But apart from that all med schools are pretty much the same and are all very presigious to get into! Choose unis which you feel comfortable with in terms of city vs campus, PBL vs traditional teaching, and just the general vibe you get from open days etc.

2) Alright, in terms of Cambridge. You need to be really good on your GCSEs(which you have done! :smile: ) and AS levels(they ask for your UMS, so mid 90s is advised).
Personally, I applied to cambridge and all my med schools as an International candidate, so it was slightly more difficult for me, but essentially at GCSE I got 10A*s and at during my AS year, I got 3 As(96 avg) and an A* in maths(completed early). But I still got rejected....

So if you want to apply to cambridge, make sure you ask yourself why?
If it's simply for the prestige, I'd advise against it. They are very cut throat! Obviously if you do brill at AS and you like Cambridge as a Uni, by all means have a crack, but know your priorities, as it will take up a Med slot, which another, perhaps easier-to-get-into med school could have taken up

Finally, if possible try and start/join a medsoc, and keep up to date on current affairs and ethical debates.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice for your UKCAT (It's the dumbest, most stupid fricking test in the world, but atm it's needed to get into med school :redface:) and revise a lot of GCSE now itself in prep for your BMAT if you plan on applying to Oxbridge, Imp, or UCL.

Try and attend some interview courses as well (I went to ACe Medicine and ISC, which were really good)!

Best of luck amber! :smile: Try your very very best, and don't get bogged down. There will be tough times ahead with a lot of anxiety, but always remember the light at the end of the tunnel! :smile:

Thank you very much for your advice! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AmberL2005

Hi, I got offers from Manchester, Nottingham and Leicester, and withdrew from Birmingham, and I'd say focus on your Ukcat and try to do well in that, because once you have a good ukcat score it makes it 10x easier in terms of being able to apply to more universities, and makes actually getting interviews a lot easier. Especially for Nottingham, as ukcat score was 48% of the application (but this may change for you so check)
Also for Nottingham you need to be quite consistently high across the 4 sections as each section is worth 12%, so they look at them individually. That doesn't mean you need 750+ in every section, but I'd aim for 650 at the very least in a section to be sure. So you if you have like a 730+ average with no less than 650 in any section, that should be fine :smile: And you don't need 7A*s, don't worry about that, check the academic requirements and if you meet that you'll be fine :smile: Nottingham also do an online questionnaire, which is pretty straightforward.
So for now, focus on your grades and then your ukcat.
As for cambridge, although your GCSEs are good it would definitely be a risk, so as it's been said, think about why you want cambridge, and if it's really worth one of your spaces.

I'd recommend doing varied work experience, gives you more to talk about. And if you're not volunteering atm, start as soon as exams are over because it's so so so important. And in terms of what extra curriculars you should to do varies between universities, but I'd say on the whole it doesn't matter what you do as long as you can reflect on it well :smile:
Go on plenty of open days, they really help you get a feel for the place.
And bear in mind that it's good to apply strategically, so think about where you have a good chance of getting in as you'll enjoy it wherever you go. To an extent of course, don't apply to a traditional course if you can't bear the thought of lectures just because you tick all their boxes.
Best of luck with your application, wish you every success :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending