The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever here ever changed teams

Scroll to see replies

My mum changed from a Portsmouth supporter to Saints supporter when she started dating my dad. She's been a Southampton supporter for about 32 years now.
Original post by Ggmu!
Hahaha that gave me a good laugh. I'm joking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very funny as well.
Reply 42
Original post by Zeroic
This exactly what it was for me lol, can't believe we share the same story

Are you an STH or a member, by any chance?
Reply 43
Original post by matchdayG
Are you an STH or a member, by any chance?

Not at the moment, I mean I can still go to kids for a quid for 11 more months . If anything I only buy tickets on general sale, though my dad has signed up with West Ham United so I can buy tickets online to
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cole-slaw
You support them because you support them. Great logic.

At least most people have some kind of flawed reason, like "because I'm from Manchester" "because my dad did" or "because I like how they play". You don't even have that.

You plainly don't understand, supporting a football team is almost exactly the same as falling in love and getting married, you don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. And you certainly don't love the club for the players and the manager, just like you don't love your wife for the clothes she's wearing that month.
Reply 45
Original post by Zeroic
Not at the moment, I mean I can still go to kids for a quid for 11 more months . If anything I only buy tickets on general sale, though my dad has signed up with West Ham United so I can buy tickets online to

I'm looking to sort out tickets to just a few games next year, the Liverpool ones mainly. How do I do that?

I'm over 18 so kids for a quid would be quite hard and I doubt they do it for cat A games anyway?
Reply 46
I'm looking to sort out tickets to just a few games next year, the Liverpool ones mainly. How do I do that?

I'm over 18 so kids for a quid would be quite hard and I doubt they do it for cat A games anyway?

I'm limited to my knowledge but when I wanted to get tickets to this match Arsenal away I could buy it through general sale, which means I could go to the stadium and buy the tickets of a tuesday, but I came later. Catergory A isn't ever kids for a quid, and you have to be under 16 to get Kids for a quid tickets

Catergory A tickets are more expensive, but if you want to be first choice, you must make sure you will buy them as soon as they appear on the tickets page, category A matches are also more in demand, Members get tickets for around 10quid-5 quid off original price.

What I highly recommend is you sign up online to West Ham United and there box office, also make sure you know when the tickets become avaliable, Liverpool is category A and will be harder to get.
I'm not sure about Away tickets, but on home tickets online you also choose where you sit.

I'm limited in my experience but there you go
Reply 47
Original post by Zeroic
I'm limited to my knowledge but when I wanted to get tickets to this match Arsenal away I could buy it through general sale, which means I could go to the stadium and buy the tickets of a tuesday, but I came later. Catergory A isn't ever kids for a quid, and you have to be under 16 to get Kids for a quid tickets

Catergory A tickets are more expensive, but if you want to be first choice, you must make sure you will buy them as soon as they appear on the tickets page, category A matches are also more in demand, Members get tickets for around 10quid-5 quid off original price.

What I highly recommend is you sign up online to West Ham United and there box office, also make sure you know when the tickets become avaliable, Liverpool is category A and will be harder to get.
I'm not sure about Away tickets, but on home tickets online you also choose where you sit.

I'm limited in my experience but there you go

Thanks mate.
Reply 48
Original post by scrotgrot
You plainly don't understand, supporting a football team is almost exactly the same as falling in love and getting married, you don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. And you certainly don't love the club for the players and the manager, just like you don't love your wife for the clothes she's wearing that month.

This.
Reply 49

I think that's what people like to think.

The difference is, your wife loves you back (unless you're doing it wrong). Your club thinks you're scum whose sole existence is for them to fleece you of as much money as possible.
Reply 50
Thanks mate.

No problem man, if you want more information join West Ham forums, theres one called KUMB, will give you all the information you need about tickets travel, and general football etc
I think that's what people like to think.

The difference is, your wife loves you back (unless you're doing it wrong). Your club thinks you're scum whose sole existence is for them to fleece you of as much money as possible.

I suppose, but that's true of literally every organisation in the world, and you have to have something to delude yourself with or you'll end up a bitter, cynical husk. What about film buffs, for example? Exactly the same thing.
Reply 52
I suppose, but that's true of literally every organisation in the world, and you have to have something to delude yourself with or you'll end up a bitter, cynical husk. What about film buffs, for example? Exactly the same thing.

I can like a film, or a director, or a band, or even a football team (note team = players + manager + tactics), because I enjoy watching/listening.

That is fine. It is measured, sensible, subjective. But I don't support them like people support a football club. If they change to a different style that I find less pleasing, I will move on.

The thing that amazes me, is that people don't just consider it acceptable to obsessively and irrationally support a team regardless of their product, but some people actually consider this insanity to be admirable.
I can like a film, or a director, or a band, or even a football team (note team = players + manager + tactics), because I enjoy watching/listening.

That is fine. It is measured, sensible, subjective. But I don't support them like people support a football club. If they change to a different style that I find less pleasing, I will move on.

The thing that amazes me, is that people don't just consider it acceptable to obsessively and irrationally support a team regardless of their product, but some people actually consider this insanity to be admirable.

So you have no hobbies yourself? That you're properly, irrationally passionate about?
Reply 54
So you have no hobbies yourself? That you're properly, irrationally passionate about?

Sure. Although I don't think any of them stray into irrationality. I don't see how this is relevant though.

Supporting football teams in a quasi-religious way is an entirely modern cultural phenomenon (and a wholly unwelcome one). You don't find people killing each other over rugby or cricket teams, and its not because they don't enjoy watching them just as much.
Sure. Although I don't think any of them stray into irrationality. I don't see how this is relevant though.

Supporting football teams in a quasi-religious way is an entirely modern cultural phenomenon (and a wholly unwelcome one). You don't find people killing each other over rugby or cricket teams, and its not because they don't enjoy watching them just as much.

What are your hobbies then? I will show you exactly how it's relevant. If they're not things you like irrationally/obsessively, just things you find it pleasant to do, then they're not what I'm talking about.

The reason for the ardent support of football teams is that football is working-class, while rugby and cricket are upper-class. This phenomenon is not modern at all, it's decades or even a century old, working-class people used football at the weekends as a way to soothe the grinding horror of spending twelve hours a day down the pit. Now people don't have such terrible jobs and have more mobility around the country, it has become more normal to support a team who aren't linked to a place you're from, but the cultural construct around football isn't exactly going to disappear straight away.

Similarly, other obsessive hobbies are culturally constructed and reinforced by other people doing them too. The reason there are lots of Trekkies or Whovians, for example, is because there is a strong tradition, large current fan base, and high-profile events. Conversely, my nan collects ornamental spoons, which, entirely by accident, has absolutely no "fan base" and therefore the limit of her obsessiveness is cleaning the things about twice a year.
Reply 56

you don't see people really killing eachother over football teams either - you get the odd isolated idiot but don't tell me that's honestly because of football as oppose to thugs looking for an excuse!
Reply 57
What are your hobbies then? I will show you exactly how it's relevant. If they're not things you like irrationally/obsessively, just things you find it pleasant to do, then they're not what I'm talking about.

The reason for the ardent support of football teams is that football is working-class, while rugby and cricket are upper-class. This phenomenon is not modern at all, it's decades or even a century old, working-class people used football at the weekends as a way to soothe the grinding horror of spending twelve hours a day down the pit. Now people don't have such terrible jobs and have more mobility around the country, it has become more normal to support a team who aren't linked to a place you're from, but the cultural construct around football isn't exactly going to disappear straight away.

Similarly, other obsessive hobbies are culturally constructed and reinforced by other people doing them too. The reason there are lots of Trekkies or Whovians, for example, is because there is a strong tradition, large current fan base, and high-profile events. Conversely, my nan collects ornamental spoons, which, entirely by accident, has absolutely no "fan base" and therefore the limit of her obsessiveness is cleaning the things about twice a year.

Actually, its only relatively recently, within the last 50 years, and in some areas of the country, that different sports have become seen as "working class" or "upper class".

The welsh certainly don't see rugby as upper class, and wherever I've lived in the midlands, cricket has never been seen as upper class.
Actually, its only relatively recently, within the last 50 years, and in some areas of the country, that different sports have become seen as "working class" or "upper class".

The welsh certainly don't see rugby as upper class, and wherever I've lived in the midlands, cricket has never been seen as upper class.

It is true that there are regional differences there. I don't know much about cricket but I would certainly agree about working-class rugby in Wales and to an extent in my area here in the West Country.
Reply 59
Right, so explain to me which one of those is that much better than any other clubs that you feel obliged to support Man Utd.

Liverpool have a better song, for example. The shirt is quite nice I suppose. is that it? Did I guess right? You support MU because you appreciate the aesthetic quality of the uniform?

Lol don't worry about him he's just a chinese boy trying to make discussion on a european forum. The first thing that comes into his mind "herro let me make a discussion on why there is more to supporting a team then the players, this doesn't work - let me call him a troll"

Quick Reply

Latest