The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Watford demonstration again how not to defend a 1-goal lead in injury time. We might actually get promotion someday if we didn't mess up in the dying moments of a game.
Original post by bun
I would imagine so.
I don't think I could hate any players more than I do the Sodjes. Particularly Onome.

I rather liked Akpo in his short time at us. Just unlucky to get crocked like he did.
Original post by andrew2209
Watford demonstration again how not to defend a 1-goal lead in injury time. We might actually get promotion someday if we didn't mess up in the dying moments of a game.

At least under Zola we could concede in any minute of the game, under Sannino it seems like we can only concede in the last ten... Sensing a bit of a clearout coming this summer...
Today is a day for our fans. It may only be League One but after the mess we have created, all of our own doing over the last couple of years it is a good day! Now lets get to 100 points.
Big win at Elland Road. And Yesterday Managing Director David Haigh resigned.

His departure comes on the day that West Yorkshire Police confirmed they were "investigating allegations of funds being misappropriated for the purchase of technical equipment".

There is no suggestion that the two events are linked.

Head of crime for Leeds, Det Supt Pat Twiggs said the investigation, which is believed to involve payment for unauthorised hidden cameras, had started after a report was made by the Championship club on Wednesday.

He added: "Enquiries are at an early stage and we are not in a position to give any further information about the nature of the allegation."
Original post by hskjlclcn
Today is a day for our fans. It may only be League One but after the mess we have created, all of our own doing over the last couple of years it is a good day! Now lets get to 100 points.

Congratulations. Although it would have been pretty much impossible for a team with access to £16m in parachute payments alone not to be promoted from a league where the average turnover is I'd suspect 3 times less.

Also heard that dingles are going to take over ****fields in a few weeks with City fans mass protesting on the hill. Fully expect Clarke to bag 5...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
At least under Zola we could concede in any minute of the game, under Sannino it seems like we can only concede in the last ten... Sensing a bit of a clearout coming this summer...

Points towards a lack of fitness and concentration. Both the manager and players responsible for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Congratulations. Although it would have been pretty much impossible for a team with access to £16m in parachute payments alone not to be promoted from a league where the average turnover is I'd suspect 3 times less.

Also heard that dingles are going to take over ****fields in a few weeks with City fans mass protesting on the hill. Fully expect Clarke to bag 5...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! I agree it would have been ridiculous if we hadn't gone up, but to have rebuilt with the academy as much as we have is pleasing.

Probably true, it's gonna be a big party which I can't see your fans approving of.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Cheers! I agree it would have been ridiculous if we hadn't gone up, but to have rebuilt with the academy as much as we have is pleasing.

Probably true, it's gonna be a big party which I can't see your fans approving of.

Don't begrudge you guys enjoying it at all. With Leicester strolling to promotion as well though the ****tyness of being a Coventry fan couldn't be more apparent! 44 years with no top 6 finish...blegh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Points towards a lack of fitness and concentration. Both the manager and players responsible for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sannino supposedly has said somewhere the players were unfit when he arrived, yet they're still unfit it seems. Surely that should be his first concern when he came in if he spotted it... Last minute goals have been a common occurence since Hoofroyd left...
bit of a dull game that. No idea what the ref was playing at - seemed to get every throw-in call wrong. Ponegbrynak should take a serious look at himself - falling over like a sack of spuds everytime a city player got within 5 yards - absolute disgrace.

Really need to work on defending set-pieces though - we're awful at them. Still - if anyone picks someone other than Mahrez as the best winger in the division they're wrong. Not an opinion, a fact. The boy is a cracker - far too good for this level, and probably higher than where we'll be at next season.
Well Barnsley look like they're going to blow the Championship relegation battle wide open:

18 Birmingham 41 -10 43
19 Doncaster 42 -26 43
20 Blackpool 42 -26 42
21 Charlton 41 -25 41
22 Millwall 42 -30 40
23 Barnsley 42 -27 39
24 Yeovil 42 -25 36

Blackpool v Charlton on the final day could be very interesting.
if Milll go down I will chortle with delight - Hollowhead is an absolute clown and I enjoy his failure.
If Hollowhead goes down perhaps finally the belief he is a manager that can take any side out of this league will go. He did worse than Freedman at Palace last year and only got promoted due to Zaha and the awful Watford team in the playoff final. Giving Watford fans the V at the weekend, which is fair enough given the abuse he got, but to claim he hasn't done anything bad to Watford at all is crap. Aside from the month where he did nothing but talk and whine about us and the loan policy thing.

Also, L*ton are back in the Football League. Took them long enough.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hope Blackpool get relegated for this alone.

Original post by sr90
I hope Blackpool get relegated for this alone.

If the whole Blackpool crowd don't break into song and sing this at this weekends game, I will be disappointed. I expect a Steve Claridge cover on the FLS also.
Original post by CraigWM

Also, L*ton are back in the Football League. Took them long enough.

I'm glad that I won't have to endure an away trip to Kenilworth Road next season! Two defeats in the play-off semi final to them didn't help either.

Would be amazing if Halifax secure a play-off spot. If they go up it would be their fourth promotion in five years. Great stuff for them just being where they are now though.

As for us, I'll be very happy for the final whistle to go next week to put an end to a disappointing season. But first we have the North Wales derby to get over with this weekend! :rolleyes:
Reply 957
Original post by ra-ra-ra
I'm glad that I won't have to endure an away trip to Kenilworth Road next season! Two defeats in the play-off semi final to them didn't help either.

Would be amazing if Halifax secure a play-off spot. If they go up it would be their fourth promotion in five years. Great stuff for them just being where they are now though.

As for us, I'll be very happy for the final whistle to go next week to put an end to a disappointing season. But first we have the North Wales derby to get over with this weekend! :rolleyes:

I'm not particularly looking forward to the matches against them and their fans... but I am lookng forward to the guaranteed 6 points :biggrin: We seem to have a bit of a curse over Luton.
Not that any of that'll matter, as we'll be in League 1 anyway... (A man can dream, no?!)

Would be good to see Halifax in League 2 be nice to have another slightly more local club to face!
Looking forward to some Good Friday football :biggrin:
Brentford finally promoted. Fully deserved.

Quick Reply

Latest