The Student Room Group

Are we inherently meaner towards fat people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThrillSize
Yes that's exactly where the problem stems from and all the negative stereotypes come along with it. I think people's perceptions are too easily influenced these days and people go along with whatever seems to be "the norm".

Hmmm. Fair point.

I kind of lost faith in the general nature of most people due to thinking about this stuff over the last few weeks.
Fat me 4 years back who was a nicer person tbh vs muscular and thin me now . People wouldn't want to talk to the fatter, nicer bloke yet are willing to date this version? Its one ****ed up world.
Original post by Robbie242
Oh not your initial OP but replies that are and would be to come ''burden to society'' etc I can foresee it :tongue:

Haha thanks :biggrin:

Oh its already started :rolleyes:. Have you noticed a change in behavior from friends, potential dates etc since you've lost the weight? I'm keen to hear other people's experiences about such stuff, too.
Reply 22
Original post by elpistolero7
Oh its already started :rolleyes:. Have you noticed a change in behavior from friends, potential dates etc since you've lost the weight? I'm keen to hear other people's experiences about such stuff, too.

Not from friends really but one annoying ****er used to point out my weight all the time, now I'm the same weight as him so he can't call me fat without calling himself fat :lol:
Yeah definitely on interactions with the opposite sex and general confidence around people have increased significantly, e.g. went on my first ever 2 dates about a month ago, doubt I'd be able to win a girl over in my previous unambitious persona. I think when you have the motivation/drive to change and actually change some people can find that very attractive I suppose. When I was overweight I always used to think that I should just be alone and immerse myself online forever and never come out but that attitude is definitely changing :smile:

you got any similar experiences?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bertstare
I doubt people are consciously thinking it, but seeing as something easily preventable is causing a widespread public health problem, it's not surprising people may have less respect for someone way overweight who isn't doing anything about it. I don't think it's much different to the way people stigmatise heavy smokers, alcoholics or drug users, perhaps one key difference being the physical appearance of obese people (which most of course find unattractive).

I fully agree with your points in this thread about the financial strain on the nation, and thereby, the average taxpayer.

There's stigmas around drinking, smoking and drugs but you'd find more people being polite to the drinkers/smokers who actually cause as large a strain on the government than a fat person on a daily basis.

But what about kids in school, teenagers and such? Its not like they're bothered about the state of the economy (young teens for the most part anyway), yet their fat peers tend to be socially excluded and castigated.
Reply 24
Yes but surely the stigma towards fat people does act as a bit of a deterrent from overeating which can only be a good thing really..
Reply 25
I fully agree with your points in this thread about the financial strain on the nation, and thereby, the average taxpayer.

There's stigmas around drinking, smoking and drugs but you'd find more people being polite to the drinkers/smokers who actually cause as large a strain on the government than a fat person on a daily basis.

But what about kids in school, teenagers and such? Its not like they're bothered about the state of the economy (young teens for the most part anyway), yet their fat peers tend to be socially excluded and castigated.

This is simply down to the physical appearance, most people find it unattractive and most people can often be quite superficial especially at a young age. Also taking into account the fact that weight is something that can be changed relatively easily, people are just likely to have less respect for an overweight person who would obviously like to be thin but isn't doing anything about it. Whether it's right or wrong is a whole different argument, but that just seems to be the reasoning why people think this way
Original post by Robbie242
Not from friends really but one annoying ****er used to point out my weight all the time, now I'm the same weight as him so he can't call me fat without calling himself fat :lol:
Yeah definitely on interactions with the opposite sex and general confidence around people have increased significantly, e.g. went on my first ever 2 dates about a month ago, doubt I'd be able to win a girl over in my previous unambitious persona. I think when you have the motivation/drive to change and actually change some people can find that very attractive I suppose. When I was overweight I always used to think that I should just be alone and immerse myself online forever and never come out but that attitude is definitely changing :smile:

you got any similar experiences?

Well when I was younger I was bullied for being overweight quite a bit, but I could deal with it. Got a bit worse in the early teen years. Some rough rejections from girls and all. At least I was top of my year and all, its all I cared about back then :redface:.

There's a vast change for sure. Going from obese in terms of BMI to having a physique I'm proud of has done me a world of good. I'm no great looker, but I've done quite alright with the girls over the last 2-3 years. I'm definitely more confident, and my studies aren't the only thing I'm proud of - being good academically was the one thing I used to cling to back when I felt low about my appearance. Its infuriating that people who thought I was "too fat to date" "too fat to hang out with" are now perfectly happy to be my friends or even date me in some cases. Its made me a lot more cynical of people in general. For an extremely calm person that I normally am, I have serious bouts of rage I have to suppress when I see someone fat being ridiculed :frown:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tom78
Yes but surely the stigma towards fat people does act as a bit of a deterrent from overeating which can only be a good thing really..

You'd be surprised.
I'd say it's just as likely to make them go home and pig out.
Food is a comfort for some people, and some have found sugar harder to go cold turkey on than drugs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous Coward
You'd be surprised.
I'd say it's just as likely to make them go home and pig out.
Food is a comfort for some people, and some have found sugar harder to go cold turkey on than drugs.

Bang on.
Reply 29
Original post by Chihiro95
Doctors regularly tell them to lose weight which tends to be more constructive.

Not saying bullying is an appropriate solution, but this^ rarely achieves anything
Reply 30

I know this wasn't directed at me but I thought I'd share my experiences. I was invisible but hypervisible at the same time. I was constantly overlooked and underestimated but was also bullied lots too. When I lost weight, I became a bit hot as a byproduct and people noticed me only for my looks so treated me like a bimbo.
Original post by Chihiro95
I know this wasn't directed at me but I thought I'd share my experiences. I was invisible but hypervisible at the same time. I was constantly overlooked and underestimated but was also bullied lots too. When I lost weight, I became a bit hot as a byproduct and people noticed me only for my looks so treated me like a bimbo.

That's excellently put. Its ****ing maddening isn't it.

People still view me as the geeky kid, which I always will be I guess, but now I'm the geeky muscular kid whose a nice bloke as opposed to the fatty who just eats and studies and is disgusting...that was a term thrown around quite generously.
It depends what you mean when you say "fat" people. Are we talking a bit chubby or morbidly obese?

I'm 17st which is overweight for my height (6ft 1) but I'm not morbidly obese. I can still walk and have a normal social life and am not discriminated against, or not that I know of anyway. I can see how being morbidly obese would cause people to be more prejudiced. It's not a view I share as I believe that people should be able to eat what they want but be aware of the consequences of a poor diet and lack of exercise and take responsibility for it. However, thyroid conditions can have serious side effects on weight and so it would be wrong to accuse said person if they had a genuine medical condition.

Some people may be inherently meaner towards fat people but to me that says a hell of a lot more about those people than it does about the fat person :tongue:
Reply 33
because its unhealthy physically, its doesnt look good visually, its bad for the economy and many fat people are obnoxious.
I find that overweight guys are actually generally funnier and popular while obese guys are shunned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slade p
because its unhealthy physically, its doesnt look good visually, its bad for the economy and many fat people are obnoxious.

Really? Really?

Its exactly the sort of generalizations cause of which I've made this thread.

Fat people = dirty. Fat peopel = disgusting. Fat people = obnoxious.

:banghead:
Reply 36
Really? Really?

Its exactly the sort of generalizations cause of which I've made this thread.

Fat people = dirty. Fat peopel = disgusting. Fat people = obnoxious.

:banghead:

i never said dirty or disgusting.
Original post by slade p
i never said dirty or disgusting.

Other examples of irrational generalizations made about fat people, don't you think?

Unless you have a valid reasoning behind your post. I'm all ears.
Reply 38
Its just so ****ing sad that most of us are like this. :frown:

Given how obnoxiously easy it is for virtually anyone under the age of 50 not to be fat, I don't particularly care.
Original post by Profesh
Given how obnoxiously easy it is for virtually anyone under the age of 50 not to be fat, I don't particularly care.

As much as I like most of your posts, you're showing a clear lack of knowledge about body metabolisms, somato-types and genes with this statement.

You're naturally entitled to your opinion though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending