The Student Room Group

Guys would you date a plus size girl?

Scroll to see replies

As Tyrion said, it'll have lot to do with the degree of "plus size" we're talking.

If its like that Robyn Lawley woman whose on the cover of every magazine as a so called "plus size" model, you'd be hard pressed to find any guy who could turn her down like.
Reply 21
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Doesn't it depend how plus size were talking? It's like saying would you go out with a skinny girl, depends on the girl? Hard to say when all you know is she's skinny (or not)...

Its really basing on the opinion of what you think, theres no "depends" on this question. Its asking you (or guys/ males to be more accurate) would they be into a girl just purely looking at appearance if they are plus sized.
Original post by elpistolero7
As Tyrion said, it'll have lot to do with the degree of "plus size" we're talking.

If its like that Robyn Lawley woman whose on the cover of every magazine as a so called "plus size" model, you'd be hard pressed to find any guy who could turn her down like.

Also body shape. If you're hourglass, you can "get away" with being a bit chunky whereas if you're straight up and down you'll look bigger.

Not to say theres anything wrong with being bigger. Some people really like large women. OP, some guys will, some guys won't, and that goes for EVERY SINGLE TRAIT, body size, boob size, height etc. Just be confident and happy in yourself
Original post by Anonymous
Its really basing on the opinion of what you think, theres no "depends" on this question. Its asking you (or guys/ males to be more accurate) would they be into a girl just purely looking at appearance if they are plus sized.

I speak for myself here, but to me, if someone has an attractive face and a good personality, the fact they're overweight wouldn't put me off. Unless they were morbidly obese.
Reply 24
"its all about personality" is that what you are leading to anyways?
you sure about that though?

Erm. Not sure how you've taken what I said to mean it's "all" about personality. I was kind of getting at the fact that since nobody is perfect you can let some things slip if others compensate for it.
I'm not a bloke, but the term "plus-size" is misused

A real and attractive plus-size I think should be no more than an 18, IMO. Anything over this is just unhealthy and unattractive, but then you get the idiot brigade who are a size 24 trying to convince themselves and everybody else that they're "curvy" when really it's just fat.

THIS is an attractive plus size:
If she was pretty and gives good BJS, there is a chance.
Also body shape. If you're hourglass, you can "get away" with being a bit chunky whereas if you're straight up and down you'll look bigger.

Not to say theres anything wrong with being bigger. Some people really like large women. OP, some guys will, some guys won't, and that goes for EVERY SINGLE TRAIT, body size, boob size, height etc. Just be confident and happy in yourself

Fair points.

The second bit Tyrion, I kind of agree and disagree with at the same time. Of course people have their preferences and its imperative to be self assured and confident, but that's not very easy if you're significantly overweight (I don't know you OP, so I can't say if this is the case with you, but I'm making a general statement) sometimes crass comments from others can really get you down, so there's that.

Plus, society perceives thinner to be better mostly, so working towards that may not be a bad idea if you (OP) is concerned about this stuff.

This stuff is currently being discussed in another thread I created :tongue:.
Reply 28
Personally I never would, I never would date ANY SIZE girl that isn't fond of exercising. It's a big part of my life and I wouldn't bat an eyelid to someone that wasn't interested in it... If I meet a plus sized girl that did exercise and was open to a lot of different activities then yea why not?
Reply 29
Plus size =/= 'fat'. Plus size begins at size 12. Average in UK is 16 I think, whilst 12 is the 'ideal'. Jennifer Lawrence, to put it into comparison, is 10/12. People think 'plus size' and see 'fat', but that is not what it means at all. I don't think anyone at all would ever say no to someone just because they were a size twelve. Going to around size 20 is a different matter.
Reply 30
I want honesty of all your opinions - it seems to be a social issue that plus size/ fat girls are a problem or something.
Im not a plus size myself but I would really like to know why it is that guys tend to avoid girls that are on the bigger side.

Depends how big we're talking.
Fair points.

The second bit Tyrion, I kind of agree and disagree with at the same time. Of course people have their preferences and its imperative to be self assured and confident, but that's not very easy if you're significantly overweight (I don't know you OP, so I can't say if this is the case with you, but I'm making a general statement) sometimes crass comments from others can really get you down, so there's that.

Plus, society perceives thinner to be better mostly, so working towards that may not be a bad idea if you (OP) is concerned about this stuff.

This stuff is currently being discussed in another thread I created :tongue:.

Personally, I think people shouldn't care about societies perception. They should take pride in their quirks, and be themselves instead of trying to fit the mould. If you try to conform to society, you'll never be happy. Once you're skinny enough, you won't be tan enough. Once you're tan enough, you won't be rich enough. Once you're rich enough, you boobs won't be big and perky and round and shaped right

It goes on. I'm not saying don't lose weight, but do it because you're happy with yourself, you respect yourself and YOU want to. Not because you feel bullied by society. Because society will never be happy with you, and if you let your happiness be dictated by that, you'll never be happy either
If I was attracted to her, and the personality stuff all matched up, sure.

A pretty face goes a long way...
Reply 33
I want honesty of all your opinions - it seems to be a social issue that plus size/ fat girls are a problem or something.
Im not a plus size myself but I would really like to know why it is that guys tend to avoid girls that are on the bigger side.

I would definitely bang a girl who was plus size. I would definitely date a girl who was plus size. I would definitely marry a girl who was plus size.

Why?

Because weight and size, for the majority of the population, is changeable with proper healthy nutrition and exercise. Just because she's plus size now doesn't mean she will be plus size forever.
Original post by awe
Plus size =/= 'fat'. Plus size begins at size 12. Average in UK is 16 I think, whilst 12 is the 'ideal'. Jennifer Lawrence, to put it into comparison, is 10/12. People think 'plus size' and see 'fat', but that is not what it means at all. I don't think anyone at all would ever say no to someone just because they were a size twelve. Going to around size 20 is a different matter.

Good post! I think people get mixed up with what plus size is.
Reply 35

I'm certainly open to enjoying the company of a plus-size woman.
Personally, I think people shouldn't care about societies perception. They should take pride in their quirks, and be themselves instead of trying to fit the mould. If you try to conform to society, you'll never be happy. Once you're skinny enough, you won't be tan enough. Once you're tan enough, you won't be rich enough. Once you're rich enough, you boobs won't be big and perky and round and shaped right

It goes on. I'm not saying don't lose weight, but do it because you're happy with yourself, you respect yourself and YOU want to. Not because you feel bullied by society. Because society will never be happy with you, and if you let your happiness be dictated by that, you'll never be happy either

It depends what norms you're conforming/not conforming to. Having been very overweight earlier on, I dropped it all. Then, I got really into weightlifting...primarily to look good, society's perception of good. The turn around in my dating life, general interactions with people has been remarkable. Do what you want and all, but sometimes, life's a lot easier if you conform in certain ways, you know?

The sentiment of your post, though nice, isn't always practical in my opinion, although in an ideal world it would. Sadly, societal perception matters to everyone to varying degrees, and sometimes, its just easier to give in :tongue:.
Reply 37
Original post by Anonymous Coward
I really don't get this.

I know people who don't exercise at all, don't walk anywhere if they don't have to, but don't eat a lot.
The only difference between them and an overweight person (in this case) is that the overweight person eats more.

How does this really make them lazier?
I could understand this idea if all thin people exercised and walked loads.

Anyway, back on thread:
I wouldn't be very attracted to a plus sized model, myself. In the same way I don't like really short girls.
There are plenty of men who even prefer plus sized girls though.

Edit: It's "would you date" which I didn't realise.
Yeah, I would. It's less likely I'd be attracted to her; but if I was, I'd date her.

I would equally not like a thin but lazy person :tongue:
Also it's not so much the lazy but the indifference to themselves, I think sometimes it lacking respect for your own body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'd eat a plus sized mars bar.
It depends what norms you're conforming/not conforming to. Having been very overweight earlier on, I dropped it all. Then, I got really into weightlifting...primarily to look good, society's perception of good. The turn around in my dating life, general interactions with people has been remarkable. Do what you want and all, but sometimes, life's a lot easier if you conform in certain ways, you know?

The sentiment of your post, though nice, isn't always practical in my opinion, although in an ideal world it would. Sadly, societal perception matters to everyone to varying degrees, and sometimes, its just easier to give in :tongue:.

NOOOOO. In a way, people like you frustrate me! You should be on my side! You agree with the sentiments of what I say! And then you pussy out :tongue:

While it might be the easy option, it's not easier for all the other people currently being made to feel like ****, nor does it actually do anything to change societies perception. If enough people stopped conforming, well, society wouldn't have anything to pressure people with!

But I accept not everyone has my "I don't give two ****s" attitude :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending