The Student Room Group

Girls or boys? Who pays?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Top Queen
I don't think it should dictate at all, but I do think it should be influenced.

You'd love it in Iran.
The person who wants to pay should pay. Or it should be split.

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable asking or allowing men to pay for things like dinner/trips out more than occasionally, and I'd be returning the favour whenever possible. I prefer to just go halves or pay for our own stuff. Expecting a man to pay doesn't make any sense to me in the context of the modern world.
I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months now, we both pay. Whenever we go out I pay for my share and he pays for his. If we're ordering take away, I'll pay the first time, then he'd pay the next and so on.

We're both students so I don't expect him to pay and we both prefer it this way so it's all good.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Women expect equality yet also expect men to pay everything for them. That's double standards and it annoys me. I'm sorry but you've got to take the disadvantages of equality as well as equality - you cant pick and choose - hence why it's called equality. Unless a birthday or anniversary treat, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS split.

Regardless of partner's gender, he/she should always pay his/her own way and I pay mine.

I agree with this except the bolded bit - there's nothing wrong with treating your partner unless they;re sponging off you - ie they can treat you back. Or in a situation where you're earning and they're a student and so you pay more.
I wouldn't be like erm hey pay for me now, but when we were alone after I'd be like maybe you need to pay for me sometimes, or if it was the first date, I wouldn't meet them again.

I could be with someone who couldn't pay for my food, that isn't a problem, but if we always went out to places and they couldn't pay for me then I couldn't be with them. It's a quality that I find attractive in a male, some females like tall men, I like men who can pay and treat their girls.

golddigger detected
I do think splitting is fair unless one person earns a lot more than the other but maybe men should have to pay for women more because they put a lot of work into looking good and have to pay for makeup, style their hair, shave their body etc.As a male I would expect a female to wear makeup well, have long straight hair and a hairless body.
I completely agree with you. That is so true. But i think its our society who made it a trend like men has to pay for every thing and now we ll do and expect the same.
The Dutch.
Personally, I think boys should pay for most things but not everything, and I do think girls should pay for things too at times. But I would never pay for anything for someone who I wasn't in a relationship with for a long time.

In the first year of my relationship I never spent a penny when we went out (me and my boyfriend) but after a year I decided to start paying for things too, I'd say it's about 35:65 - me being the 35 in the ratio. But he will always have to pay more and tbh he wouldn't have it any other way. He says it's the mans job to do so.

What do you think?

Unless you're submitting yourself as a property of said man, you have no right to expect things to be paid for.
Original post by scrotgrot
The man may offer to pay on the first couple of dates just because it is a staple of dating culture (convenient that). After that the relationship becomes established and each member of the couple should pay roughly alternately.

For young people, they should pay according to their means. Young people don't date anyway (we're not Americans), so it's less of an issue.

Also, to offer to pay is an act of courtesy. It should be seen as an obligation.
Interesting!
Personally, I'm not too fussy but I'd expect him to pay and he always pays,
Sometimes I offer and he's like don't be silly etc,
I have paid on occasions but even then I think I only pay 80%, he always has to chip in or he doesn't feel happy,
I like the way things are though. I don't think I could be with someone who couldn't pay for me at LEAST every now and then without having to be told.

You cannot expect equality only when it benefits you.
I wouldn't be like erm hey pay for me now, but when we were alone after I'd be like maybe you need to pay for me sometimes, or if it was the first date, I wouldn't meet them again.

I could be with someone who couldn't pay for my food, that isn't a problem, but if we always went out to places and they couldn't pay for me then I couldn't be with them. It's a quality that I find attractive in a male, some females like tall men, I like men who can pay and treat their girls.

So have you not had the opportunity go to school? To work? To choose a partner? To speak?

Of course if you see yourself as a property of a man, like a dog is, then surely he has to pay for you.
Mmm, mmm, sounds true. An ex did once call me his trophy girlfriend, I just found that quite weird.

That's not weird, that's what you are.

Like an iPhone. People pay you for your attendance and services.
Tbh, it's not just me. All my friends think less of a boy when he can't pay most of the time. A friend of my sister actually broke up with her fiancé because she was fed up of him not being able to pay more of the time..

Just because all of your friends are either all incredibly shallow or practically prostitutes doesn't mean you are not.

Compensate dating. You know the term?
No actually, I have a problem more with men who CAN pay and won't. If someone doesn't have the money to pay then it isn't really their fault, but then I'd have to always pay and I don't feel as a female I should.

Do you think as a female, you should be considered an equal being to male? :confused:
No, a girl just deserves better in this world!

You only deserve something if you have worked for it. What have 'a girl' done to deserve privileges for merely being girls?
Because I said so :smile:

And who are you?
Original post by Blind Ferret
You split it or pay for your own half.

What are the implications of me having to pay for everything? it's like I have to impress you, like you're the prize, i'm less. We both want to be there, so let's have fun and be equal. Instead of sticking to outdated traditions.

The implication is that she'd be a prostitute. You pay her for dates.
There is quite a difference between a holiday and a hotel room though, just saying personally, I still think (with the example you've given) he contributes more.

If you did actually think you would realise you cannot draw that conclusion if limited information.
I think it's cute, I remember watching an interview with JayZ and he spoke about the fact that he hates letting Beyonce pay for things and although people think it's such an outdated thing to do, it's a mans job. I simply agree, I think it's the mans job, sorry to sound so old fashioned, but then again I don't agree with a lot of the things that are happening in today's society.

And at the same time it's the woman's job to be in the kitchen. You can't have one but not the other. That's very logically inconsistent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending