The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awe
Hey all. Just wondering if some of you can tell me a bit about how you are able to spend your weekends. I'm going to be joining a girls' grammar for Secondary English School Direct route in September. I'll be honest, I am not great at time management but am determined to make the work my absolute priority, which will be helped by my (very distracting) partner being away in the week. He'll be back at the weekends though and seems 100% sure that the weekends will really be 'our' time, that I will have space for him and shouldn't be doing work. He's not the most understanding yet. But is that possible or do you feel that your weekends are often booked with marking/planning/assignments as well as your 'free' time in the week?
The school is brilliant, the staff and especially my primary mentor could not be better. I'm super excited, but don't want to get the wrong idea about how it will play out and work/not work with my relationship.

Unless you work pretty much solidly after school for about 6 hours every day then you will need to do at least some work on the weekends, unfortunately. Since you will be at a grammar school it is likely that you will have very high expectations placed on you, so they may expect a bit more (although this may just be a generalization!).

I work on the weekends and I also end up doing planning/marking before or after work for at least a few hours over the weekend.
Original post by awe
Hey all. Just wondering if some of you can tell me a bit about how you are able to spend your weekends. I'm going to be joining a girls' grammar for Secondary English School Direct route in September. I'll be honest, I am not great at time management but am determined to make the work my absolute priority, which will be helped by my (very distracting) partner being away in the week. He'll be back at the weekends though and seems 100% sure that the weekends will really be 'our' time, that I will have space for him and shouldn't be doing work. He's not the most understanding yet. But is that possible or do you feel that your weekends are often booked with marking/planning/assignments as well as your 'free' time in the week?
The school is brilliant, the staff and especially my primary mentor could not be better. I'm super excited, but don't want to get the wrong idea about how it will play out and work/not work with my relationship.

I think you'll have to expect to do some work during the weekends. If you're not you're either working your socks off during the week or you're not the getting the experience you should.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I expected a difficult year, but this is hands down the most difficult course/responsibility/burden that I have ever taken on in 28 years!! Forget the numeracy and literacy entry tests of any former exams/assignments at undergrad level - THIS IS THE REAL TEST OF WHETHER YOU ARE BUILT FOR A CAREER IN TEACHING!

Wouldn't change the experience for the world though as you manage to overcome every obstacle that is set before you. with 10 weeks to go the finishing line is in sight and the endless portfolio work, assignments, reflective tasks, observations, endless hours of planning and marking will all seem worth it. On balance I actually enjoy 50% of the PGCE, the other 50% I learn from.
I haven't worked on weekends very often during this course, but I'm probably in the minority.

My first placement I didn't have too big a teaching timetable so I had a lot of frees which I did planning and marking in.

I'm on a much larger timetable now on my second placement but I've still managed to get all my work done in the week near enough. Occasionally I've worked on Sundays if I felt I was a bit behind.

This Easter break came at exactly the right time though. Things were beginning to pile up. I've had a week off so far and managed to get my 5000 words assignment done, planned half my lessons for the week back, tidied up the evidence file. I still have a bit of work to do before I go back a week today but I feel much better about things because of this break.

The week after I go back my tutor is coming in to observe me for the final time, my assignment is due and my third review happens so that's going to be a bit manic.

It really is the final stretch now though - I've worked out I only have 35 more school days left with all the breaks etc.

Absolutely loved the year but have to admit I can't wait for it to be over now and start my NQT year in September!
Original post by Steveluis10
I haven't worked on weekends very often during this course, but I'm probably in the minority.

My first placement I didn't have too big a teaching timetable so I had a lot of frees which I did planning and marking in.

I'm on a much larger timetable now on my second placement but I've still managed to get all my work done in the week near enough. Occasionally I've worked on Sundays if I felt I was a bit behind.

This Easter break came at exactly the right time though. Things were beginning to pile up. I've had a week off so far and managed to get my 5000 words assignment done, planned half my lessons for the week back, tidied up the evidence file. I still have a bit of work to do before I go back a week today but I feel much better about things because of this break.

The week after I go back my tutor is coming in to observe me for the final time, my assignment is due and my third review happens so that's going to be a bit manic.

It really is the final stretch now though - I've worked out I only have 35 more school days left with all the breaks etc.

Absolutely loved the year but have to admit I can't wait for it to be over now and start my NQT year in September!

I've only got 5 more teaching days - the rest is enrichment where we fill any gaps in our experience (observation in a sixth form etc).

Although the first week back, I am being observed by the external examiner with a class I barely know, and then the day after I have an interview at my old secondary school which is a job I desperately want.

Stress! We've nearly made it though! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a mum. I am due to start next September. And I must admit I am really scared it could be unmanageable in terms of time and workload. The idea of having to feed my son Iceland pizza everyday and neglect his homework frightens me :biggrin:
Reply 3246
Original post by outlaw-torn
I've only got 5 more teaching days - the rest is enrichment where we fill any gaps in our experience (observation in a sixth form etc).

Although the first week back, I am being observed by the external examiner with a class I barely know, and then the day after I have an interview at my old secondary school which is a job I desperately want.

Stress! We've nearly made it though! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's crazy! We were only just starting our final placement this time last year, we were in that school for the whole of June.

Original post by Filledusoleil
I am a mum. I am due to start next September. And I must admit I am really scared it could be unmanageable in terms of time and workload. The idea of having to feed my son Iceland pizza everyday and neglect his homework frightens me :biggrin:

Don't panic. Yes it will be tough but many people manage the course alongside caring for their families. I think people with children are already used to juggling their time a bit more and I guess have more obvious motivation for saying 'I will stop now' or 'I will get this done so I have some free time' etc

xxx
Original post by Filledusoleil

I am am also a full time mum of one starting in September (he will be 2 years old) and I feel exactly the same! I'm hoping that I can work hard and long into the night during the week after uni/school and on one full day over the weekend, then spend the other day devoted to my son/husband (realistically, I'll probably be making the following weeks meals in advance and cleaning the house)!!

I just keep telling myself it'll be a year of hell (I'm not even thinking about the NQT year yet, lol) and will have all be worth it...I hope!
Am I the only one dreading going back?
Original post by Shelly_x

Nope. Not at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not on your own there. Totally dreading it! I just want a job now for something to look forward to :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm dreading the last few weeks, in the meanwhile enjoy your break Shelly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01
Nope. Not at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by outlaw-torn
Not on your own there. Totally dreading it! I just want a job now for something to look forward to :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by pgce2013
No I'm dreading the last few weeks, in the meanwhile enjoy your break Shelly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought it was just me for a bit there! We can do it guys.
Yep there is an element of dread but I think once I get past my tutor coming in for the last time to observe me I will be fine. So close to the end now, we will be celebrating soon!
I think what's making me dread it is the fact that when we broke up I had a reallyy bad week in terms of behaviour. And one class's assessments were rubbish so I have to redo them (for the second time as they STILL aren't getting it) with them when I go back. The teacher of that class is my old mentor who I get very anxious and nervous around and she makes me feel like I can't do anything (probably me just thinking this though because of how my first placement at the school went when she was my mentor).
I think what's making me dread it is the fact that when we broke up I had a reallyy bad week in terms of behaviour. And one class's assessments were rubbish so I have to redo them (for the second time as they STILL aren't getting it) with them when I go back. The teacher of that class is my old mentor who I get very anxious and nervous around and she makes me feel like I can't do anything (probably me just thinking this though because of how my first placement at the school went when she was my mentor).

I'm always told my behaviour management needs to improve - too much chit chat. I just think it's inherent in that class - my mentor is as bad as me with them at times. Still, I've decided to go in there next week all guns blazing in that respect; not gonna tolerate nonsense from them especially when I'm teaching them. But it's hard because they're only 4-5 years old. How hard can you I really be??

Posted from TSR Mobile
A quick question for all of you who have secured your NQT position...have you negotiated your salary at all (or attempted to negotiate) or do you automatically go in at the M1 level?
Just wondering whether negotiating (or at least asking the question) is the done thing in teaching? My instinct tells me that it's not!

Thanks!
Original post by bellylaugh
A quick question for all of you who have secured your NQT position...have you negotiated your salary at all (or attempted to negotiate) or do you automatically go in at the M1 level?
Just wondering whether negotiating (or at least asking the question) is the done thing in teaching? My instinct tells me that it's not!

Thanks!

I haven't, I'm just assuming I'm being placed on the bottom. However, now that performance pay has been put in it has opened the way for salary to be negotiated. I know one NQT that has been offered a start on M2, but she didn't ask for it they just gave her it.
I'm not sure whether its the done thing for NQTs, but experienced teachers certainly can.
I haven't, I'm just assuming I'm being placed on the bottom. However, now that performance pay has been put in it has opened the way for salary to be negotiated. I know one NQT that has been offered a start on M2, but she didn't ask for it they just gave her it.
I'm not sure whether its the done thing for NQTs, but experienced teachers certainly can.

Thanks Shelly!
Original post by bellylaugh

Thanks!

You can negotiate, I have been told that it is becoming more acceptable, you explain to them what additional qualities, experience etc you can bring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending