The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
How is the fact that you've been with your boyfriend for two years as a teenager proof that young relationships can work in general? Probably less than one percent of relationships between teenagers last longer than 10 years, if that. I don't agree with OP for the most part but surely you recognize that your extremely limited experience is not grounds to be ultra aggressive with everyone who poses an opposing view?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if it came off as aggressive. I was just pointing out that not every relationship is immature
If we were to ban all relationships before the age of 25, then 25 would just be the new 15. People would emotionally mature much later. Yes, it would eliminate problems like little girls getting pregnant but on the most part it would just delay what would inevitably happen anyway.
Reply 42
My Mum and Dad met at 14 and 16 respectively and they've now passed their 20th wedding anniversary, there's all you need to know about why relationships before 25 are pointless.
Reply 43
I don't agree with the age of 25 but I do believe relationships before the age of 18 are pointless.
Reply 44
How abour if the person who we are with is the one who supports us in what we do?
Hmm, let's see, my parents are doubting me and don't believe I can make my dreams come true, my brother doubting me. Friends're nice and fine, but no, they don't make me believe more in what I do.
And then there's this person who supports me and believes I can do whatever I want, get to the uni I want and prove everyone wrong *-*. Not sure how does this affect my life and ruin my young age. If it ends up, and we break up, then we do. But foe now, I love him and he's made me a better person so why would I wanna end it all up just because I'm 18 and not 25?
I get the point you're saying but that does not apply to everyone :wink:.
Original post by Ruffiio
I don't agree with the age of 25 but I do believe relationships before the age of 18 are pointless.

What about people who stay together? You've just done what OP has done but put a different age on it :curious:
Reply 46
I have never really thought about it, but I agree with everything the OP says. Great post.
Original post by pane123
I have never really thought about it, but I agree with everything the OP says. Great post.

Something I struggle with what you and OP are saying. While those things apply to you, why do you apply them to everyone? I can see why you don't want a relationship, but to call other people's relationships pointless is ignorant, silly and rude
Reply 48
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Something I struggle with what you and OP are saying. While those things apply to you, why do you apply them to everyone? I can see why you don't want a relationship, but to call other people's relationships pointless is ignorant, silly and rude

You should report the post if you find it so offensive.
Original post by pane123
You should report the post if you find it so offensive.

Can't you just answer the question?
If you're with the right person then they won't hold you back from anything. The only thing that you really can't do in a relationship is have sex with other people and that's fine by me. My relationship isn't at the expense of anything - it makes me happier than I would be if I was single because being in love is the best feeling I've ever had and I'm still going to get a degree and so is he. He wants to travel after university and I would never hold him back from that, I'll just go with him. I think experiences are better when shared with someone you love anyway.

I did have a crap relationship from 16-18 but I don't regret it, I learned things from it and I've avoided making the same mistakes in my current relationship. Yes I was heartbroken for a while when it ended but I think it was worth it for the experience.

Edit: I could see your point if you meant having children before 25 as that does limit some opportunities but even then, some people want that and if their priority is to have a family over travel/work etc then who are you or anyone else to say that what they want is wrong?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Can't you just answer the question?

I can't really be bothered entering discussion with someone who looks to be offended wherever possible. I am not applying it to everyone, I like the post because it applies to me.
Original post by pane123
I can't really be bothered entering discussion with someone who looks to be offended wherever possible. I am not applying it to everyone, I like the post because it applies to me.

I'm not looking to be offended. But if you're only applying it to you that is ok
Reply 53
Original post by donutaud15
I'll give the answer my husband always says: what's the point of waiting if you know you've found the right person?

Things like decent degrees, jobs, travelling, ect are still possible even in a relationship (talking from experience) Not the easiest but tbh everything in life is hard.

By the time I'm 25, I'd be married for six years. I don't really think I'm missing out on a lot.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you get married at 19? That's ridiculous! You'd be lucky to still be married at 35.
Reply 54
Original post by Robbie242
Well I don't hate the idea of commitment, I actually like it... so people are different and so some relationships will stand the test of time, your problems with relationships don't happen for everyone so many can be long and fulfilling without the need to resent the thought of commitment.

You've never had a girlfriend though.
Reply 55
Original post by Manic Boy
You've never had a girlfriend though.

True but I still prefer the idea of long term commitment
Reply 56
That relationships under 25 can work. I've been with my boyfriend since I was 17

....So 2 years...Big woop. It will not last. That's the point.
Original post by Manic Boy
....So 2 years...Big woop. It will not last. That's the point.

This is what I mean. You are using your experiences to **** all over my relationship. I also mentioned my grandmother, who married at 18, and my mum, who married at 20
Original post by Robbie242
True but I still prefer the idea of long term commitment

Looking at his comments he's just trying to **** on people in relationships/who prefer them, he's insulted me and and someone else for being in relationships/being married
IMO, a relationship is really not something you can put an age-minimum on, and is entirely dependent on the person. In terms of spending time with someone you get on with, although you can do that with friends and family, there is really nothing like the connection in between a male and female who like each other and are sexually involved.

In terms of breaking up with the person and being left depressed/insescure, in a way that's one of the purposes of a relationship, to teach you things about yourself/life, and it's not something someone can tell you, it's only something you can know through experience. Also, the people you know who've missed job oppurtunities, done badly in exams, etc because they were in relationships, how do you know they regretted it? Also, who's to say that some exam or job is more important than your personal life?

I understand what you said about how you know people who were in relationships who when they ended were left with no one, but that's a mistake that one has to try and avoid, and obviously it's not good to get completely cut off from the world. Also understand your personal viewpoint that you didn't like being in a relationship because it took a lot of time and commitment, but I guess that's your personal feeling, and maybe at some point in the future when your situation's changed you'll feel different ,but you can't apply that standard to everyone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending