The Student Room Group

So, what qualifications do I need to become a teacher?

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a Business Studies Undergraduate Degree and I'm starting to think I would like to teach Business at either an high school or college/sixth form.

However, what qualifications do I need? Never thought about it before so I am clueless when it comes to teaching. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
You need to study for a PGCE- Post Graduate Certificate of Education
Reply 2
Original post by daviesc
You need to study for a PGCE- Post Graduate Certificate of Education

Thanks. How long would this take? :colone:
Reply 3
Original post by slacker07906
Thanks. How long would this take? :colone:

A year
Reply 4
So do student finance financially support the PGCE?
There are several methods of gaining QTS, which is the qualification you need to teach. A PGCE is the most common route, School Direct, Teach First and SCITT courses are other options. You will have access to tution fee and maintenance loans, as well as a bursary if you got a 2:1 or above in your degree.
Reply 6
Original post by FrostyLemon
There are several methods of gaining QTS, which is the qualification you need to teach. A PGCE is the most common route, School Direct, Teach First and SCITT courses are other options. You will have access to tution fee and maintenance loans, as well as a bursary if you got a 2:1 or above in your degree.

If you go down the SCITT route would you still be required to have a Grade C GCSE pass in English, Maths and a science? Would you also need to pass the QTS skills tests even if you have the necessary GCSE passes? Thanks.
Original post by claretmad
If you go down the SCITT route would you still be required to have a Grade C GCSE pass in English, Maths and a science? Would you also need to pass the QTS skills tests even if you have the necessary GCSE passes? Thanks.

Not 100% sure but I'm confident that in order to get on an ITT course you need to pass the skills tests and have grade c in English, maths and science.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by FrostyLemon
Not 100% sure but I'm confident that in order to get on an ITT course you need to pass the skills tests and have grade c in English, maths and science.

Thanks Frosty. That was my understanding as well.
Reply 9
So to get on a PGCE course, do I just apply to the Uni of my choice or do I have to do a test or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending