The Student Room Group

Was Mary a Virgin all her life?

You know how they call the mother of Jesus, the Virgin Mary. Is this to say that she remained a virgin all her life? As in, Jesus never had any siblings and Joseph/Mary had a somewhat platonic marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
let's have an Insult the Queen of Heaven thread
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
let's have an Insult the Queen of Heaven thread

No no I'm being serious I don't mean to insult - I could have made comment like "Joseph never got any" but I didn't - I'm actually curious as to whether or not she remained virginal all her life.
Pretty sure ma boi Jo$eph got it in eventually
No. She had other children from what i can recall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
all the facts you need are here:

http://www.catholictreasury.info/mary.php
Reply 6
I thought she stayed a virgin.
No she got it on with Joseph eventually and had other kids, it's because when she was a virgin when she conceived Jesus :smile:
The Catholics have a very..very..odd view on the matter, so I would ignore that.

However, no she had other children, James(Jesus's brother) for one.
Jesus had brothers born of Mary.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13%3A55&version=ESV

So, unless God impregnated her for these guys too, it's safe to say she wasn't always the Virgin Mary.
Mary was only a virgin until Jesus. The angel story is essentially just an elaborate lie you tell your parents so they don't assume you're a little whore.
I don't know what the theological basis for the perpetual virginity of Mary is, so at this point I cannot accept it

:jiggy:
Original post by the bear
all the facts you need are here:

http://www.catholictreasury.info/mary.php

The Bible clearly states she had other children.
Original post by + polarity -
Pretty sure ma boi Jo$eph got it in eventually

This.

Joseph hit that **** raw dog and bailed.

God got left raising another man's kid - pretty ****ing beta for a divine being don't you think?
Did she have a child?

Then she probably wasn't a virgin.
Reply 15
Original post by The_Dragonborn
You know how they call the mother of Jesus, the Virgin Mary. Is this to say that she remained a virgin all her life? As in, Jesus never had any siblings and Joseph/Mary had a somewhat platonic marriage?

Well just on a theological basis (that is, ignoring the accuracy, or rather lack thereof, of Christian doctrine), I'm fairly certain James was supposed to be Jesus' younger brother so no - or at least that's the C of E position, I think the Catholic interpretation is somewhat different. I'm not particularly religious so I might be incorrect.
(edited 10 years ago)
No because she never existed :rofl2:
Original post by Silver Arrows
No because she never existed :rofl2:

So did Jesus never exist, either?
Original post by StrangeBanana
So did Jesus never exist, either?

No, there was just someone around back then, who was probably as good as Dynamo or something, who used Jesus as his stage name.
Reply 19
Christ this is like debating how smelly unicorn **** is.

Quick Reply

Latest