The Student Room Group

Stay at home mums have the hardest job and here's why.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would have to say single mum/dads who have to work full time and have children is hard. And that is coming from experience, at the age of 12 I had to almost take on the role of a mother for my little brother because my mum could not juggle work and home...
So stay at home parents are definitely quite lucky to have the luxury of not having to work at the same time.
I'm pretty sure those Alaskan ice fishermen do the hardest job. At least, that's what the Discovery channel tells me.

(Serious response: Being a parent is hard, yes, anyone who denies that is talking nonsense. If an individual can afford to not work while being a parent than that's a perfectly valid choice, and no one should judge them for it.)
Original post by Robbie242
It's okay but you can't go around claiming its the hardest job like the OP is

I don't think you can say a certain job is the hardest, it depends on the person, but I think this is a response to the criticism that stay at home women get

Original post by donutaud15
Absolutely agree with this. Having been raised in a career orientated family, I recently had to admit to myself that actually I want to be a stay at home mum for few years. Not easy since society seems to embedd in everyone's mind that there is something very wrong with being a stay at home wife and mum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's mocked if you want to do it, which is wrong. I don't mock people who choose very high powered careers, I would appreciate the same
Reply 23
Original post by Robbie242
It's okay but you can't go around claiming its the hardest job like the OP is

It is far easier to underestimate the importance of motherhood than the opposite. That has been one of the main reasons for the rejection by the general public of many feminists who scoff at traditional motherhood.
Original post by Pennyarcade
Lol and the feminists wonder why the so called 'patriarchy' is still strong. Why is there no mention of stay at home dads?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because a gender-focused kyriarchy defines certain roles as masculine or not masculine, and being a stay-at-home dad is perceived as traditionally not the masculine choice (reflected in things like less paternity leave being available, and similar imbalances), a perception that modern intersectional feminism works to dispel?

Wait, sorry, you didn't want an actual answer, did you?
Original post by Red one
Good point :smile:

How man kids did she raise while she worked? And to what extent did she raise you while working a 9-5 job?

It's okay to be a stay-at-home mum.

2, but born 5 years apart. She worked part time and took care of us when we weren't at school or while my dad was at work. She used to come home realllllllllly late at night from working at Safeway. Still does actually, says its because she wants to help pay our uni debts :colondollar:. She has a better job now in a research lab though.

We used to be poor lmao.

But ye basically does everything a house wife does, then goes off to work.

So not being a mum and working as well then? lol. I don't even have anything against stay-at-home mums, but this thread is ridiculous. Unless she was pregnant 4 times without any downtime so was raising 4 babies at once I don't see how it could be more difficult than what my mum was doing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
If looking after a few kids at home is the hardest job in the world, those nursery assistants are like gods/goddesses amongst mere mortals.
Reply 28
Original post by ChickenMadness
2, but born 5 years apart. She worked part time and took care of us when we weren't at school or while my dad was at work. She used to come home realllllllllly late at night from working at Safeway. Still does actually, says its because she wants to help pay our uni debts :colondollar:. She has a better job now in a research lab though.

We used to be poor lmao.

But ye basically does everything a house wife does, then goes off to work.

So not being a mum and working aswell then? lol

Part time? You made it seem like she was holding a proper 9-5 or 7 job like the rest of the work force.

And being born 5 years apart is actually quite significant here since you need the most attention when you can't walk or go to nursery or primary school yet.

I'm not criticising your mum or indeed mums that work and care for their kids but your initial post implied that being a stay at home mum is somehow inferior to doing a half-arsed job of raising the kids while working part time.
Being a working single parent is harder than being a stay-at-home one, no matter what rubbish an insipid advert tries to put out.

You don't have to worry about bills, or payments, or earning enough money. You don't have to worry about spending enough time with your children. You don't have to take on all the responsibilities single-handedly, and if things go wrong you have someone else there to support and rely on.

Stay at home mothers are some of the biggest drama queens I've ever come across, and their marching battle to be seen as having a job "harder than yours!" is bordering on pathetic.
Original post by Red one
Part time? You made it seem like she was holding a proper 9-5 or 7 job like the rest of the work force.

And being born 5 years apart is actually quite significant here since you need the most attention when you can't walk or go to nursery or primary school yet.

I'm not criticising your mum or indeed mums that work and care for their kids but your initial post implied that being a stay at home mum is somehow inferior to doing a half-arsed job of raising the kids while working part time.

Original post by Meyrin
Being a working single parent is harder than being a stay-at-home one, no matter what rubbish an insipid advert tries to put out.

You don't have to worry about bills, or payments, or earning enough money. You don't have to worry about spending enough time with your children. You don't have to take on all the responsibilities single-handedly, and if things go wrong you have someone else there to support and rely on.

Stay at home mothers are some of the biggest drama queens I've ever come across, and their marching battle to be seen as having a job "harder than yours!" is bordering on pathetic.

This. It is pathetic really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Red one

Well it largely depends on how many kids you have, most of the working families where both mum and dad work will have less kids than say a household where only the one spouse is the bread winner. What about parents with disabled children? Caring for your child is non-stop as a stay at home mum there are no breaks.

Well for a start you can't bring disabled children into a general debate like this because they're an extreme minority and it isn't reflective of the reality of the vast majority of mothers.

I am in no way saying these women are parasites. Being a mother is an extremely important job. Yet again, though, these disgusting videos in their desire to sell more crap praise mothers they essentially swipe at other groups.

Once again, it targets fathers who are always portrayed as bumbling idiots who could barely make toast without setting the kitchen on fire. It also targets women who choose to have careers and choose not to stay at home because supposedly they've decided to take the easy way out because, after all, 'being a stay at home mum is the hardest job in the world'.

Overall, you can't take any video like this seriously because it's produced to play on emotions to sell a product. And, of course, thousands of idiots all over the world fall for it.

And, I reiterate, being a mother for the vast majority is not a non-stop job. If you're letting your child dictate and commandeer every minute of your life you're not doing it correctly. It's a hard job, but let's not move from portraying them as scroungers to portraying them as 24-hour non-stop work slaves.
Original post by Meyrin

No offence, but a lot of your posts I notice seem to belittle the choices of women if they make a choice that is traditionally feminine, which is something feminism should not do
Reply 33
I would agree that parenting is one of the toughest 'tasks' in the world.

Saying that being a 'stay at home parent' is the toughest job in the world is just wildly hyperbolic. I think there is nothing wrong with being that person, there's nothing to be mocked there and undoubtedly there are some very difficult and time-consuming things involved. But without a doubt there are harder jobs.

Also, not every mother is the fabulous caring unconditional-love maternal figure. That's not what is always required. I don't think mothers should do everything, give up everything, there's a balance to be found. My mum was/is fab, raised three girls somewhat by herself, and she would 'scoff' at the video for so many reasons. Partner's mum raised five boys in the same fashion, would also probably find it to be a bit daft for different reasons.
(edited 10 years ago)
ITT:

Being a stay-at-home mother with no bills to pay because everything is payed for you

Is more difficult than being a working single parent that barely makes enough money to keep the house.

:thumbsdown:
Reply 35
Original post by Meyrin

Stating this "fact" is akin to wearing a T-shirt with 2+2 = 4 imprinted on it. I'm not sure you've achieved anything other than stating the obvious here. :s-smilie: Of course being a single parent is harder than household run by two parents. Just like someone with a amputated leg has it harder than someone with two functioning legs. :rolleyes:

Original post by Meyrin

This is simply false and nothing short of ignorance, my mum was stay-at-home parent and despite what you believe she did worry about the bills and the food shopping just like working parents. You see when one spouse is a stay-at-home there's this mutual understanding that they are both contributing to the marriage and household. One may be in monetary terms but the other is equally as important, why would the working partner agree to to their spouse staying home if they were not happy?

Original post by Meyrin

Oh wow I'm not sure what to say to this but it's obvious you don't have a good relationship with your own mother. Imagine if she read this, what would she think?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No offence, but a lot of your posts I notice seem to belittle the choices of women if they make a choice that is traditionally feminine, which is something feminism should not do

No doubt this is mainly referring to that thread a few weeks ago where you frequently repeated yourself in response to what I said.

I'm not belittling women for making that choice at all, but having been the child of a single parent who had to raise two children alone and work a 9 - 6 managerial job, Monday to Saturday, with no paternal input whatsoever and a sickly grandmother to take care of, I'm not rushing to the defence of a melodramatic group of women who think wiping sticky fingers while their husband takes care of their worries constitutes "having the hardest job ever."

It's utter rubbish.
Original post by Red one

Oh wow I'm not sure what to say to this but it's obvious you don't have a good relationship with your own mother. Imagine if she read this, what would she think?

Maybe his mother wasn't a drama queen like the ones you portray.
Original post by ChickenMadness
ITT:

Being a stay-at-home mother with no bills to pay because everything is payed for you

Is more difficult than being a working single parent that barely makes enough money to keep the house.

:thumbsdown:

It's quite insulting, really.

There's nothing wrong with being a stay at home mother, but for heaven's sake stop trying to pretend it's some great calling worthy of honour and admiration.
Original post by Meyrin
No doubt this is mainly referring to that thread a few weeks ago where you frequently repeated yourself in response to what I said.

I'm not belittling women for making that choice at all, but having been the child of a single parent who had to raise two children alone and work a 9 - 6 managerial job, Monday to Saturday, with no paternal input whatsoever and a sickly grandmother to take care of, I'm not rushing to the defence of a melodramatic group of women who think wiping sticky fingers while their husband takes care of their worries constitutes "having the hardest job ever."

It's utter rubbish.

It's referring to a lot of comments I've seen you make

This just shows how bitter you are. I'm not saying what your mum did wasn't difficult, but you can't go around saying "YOU DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS BECAUSE MY MUM DID THIS EVEN WITH BEING A SINGLE PARENT". It would be like me shouting down everyone every time they mentioned something that upset them because I have suffered severe depression. Different people have different problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending