The Student Room Group

"Shame of Condem cuts"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Burridge
10271433_10152069675081305_3332509987205222208_o.jpg

Eye-opening front-page for The Mirror today. I couldn't agree more - it truly is sickening. Thoughts?

Daily Mirror

So why have we handed out one million food packets?

Quite simply, it is because we are a rich country. We can afford to feed even the poorest in society thanks to our good economy.

It is right that charities should provide this service funded by voluntary donations, rather than government handouts funded by theft from the productive parts of society.

In the future, perhaps housing and healthcare handouts could be provided by voluntary contributions too.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Because fast food is the cheapest food, and also the fattiest. The poorest kids often end up overweight as a result.

Bull ****. Have you seen how much a dominoes pizza costs?!

I call bull **** on the fast food myth. No way is it cheaper to spend a fiver on one meal at mcdonalds than it is to buy canned/ frozen food that would feed a family of 4.

Bull ****.

Daily mirror wrires some utter bull some times. The photo is even faked. They arent exactly known for telling the truth. *cough* piers morgan.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lumberjack 101
In the 1970`s the top band was 83% on income tax and 98% on interest and "the poor" were a lot worse off then than they are today. In fact it bankrupted the country and the IMF bailed us out. But then I suppose you would think its worth it just to screw "the rich".

No. IMF bailed us out because we asked them and because were trying to follow the ERM conditions to join the euro with ridiculous inflation.
Look at the Nordic countries like Sweden, 60% tax but the rich are happy to pay it because their culture is not like yours, ie ignorant and pathetic towards the poor, but they see the benefits of good government spending.
Original post by the mezzil
Bull ****. Have you seen how much a dominoes pizza costs?!

I call bull **** on the fast food myth. No way is it cheaper to spend a fiver on one meal at mcdonalds than it is to buy canned/ frozen food that would feed a family of 4.

Bull ****.

Daily mirror wrires some utter bull some times. The photo is even faked. They arent exactly known for telling the truth. *cough* piers morgan.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Look up food deserts. Areas of low income housing often coincide with poor local access to supermarkets and poor public transport. If you can't afford a car it can be very difficult to get to the stores that are selling the affordable food, or to carry home your bulk supplies of staple foods. This is one of several easily overlooked barriers to affordable healthy eating.

Also, the use of a stock photo from the US, whilst perhaps emotionally manipulative to get people reading doesn't detract from the underlying facts of what they're saying.
Original post by The_Duck
Why does everyone here care whether claimants smoke or not? It's not our job to tell them how to spend their money, and just because they're on benefits doesn't mean that they aren't allowed any luxuries.
I always find it wierd that its the libertarians who want to tell poor people how to live.

As long as if they dont expect free food or extra money if they go hungry and their kids starve to death because of their fag addiction, im fine with it and how they spend their money. Live and let live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Look up food deserts. Areas of low income housing often coincide with poor local access to supermarkets and poor public transport. If you can't afford a car it can be very difficult to get to the stores that are selling the affordable food, or to carry home your bulk supplies of staple foods. This is one of several easily overlooked barriers to affordable healthy eating.

Also, the use of a stock photo from the US, whilst perhaps emotionally manipulative to get people reading doesn't detract from the underlying facts of what they're saying.

Deserts! Why the **** are you buying deserts if you cant even feed yourself properly? Fat ****s.

And then you walk. They are unemployed, they have no time restraints or obligations. If they are employed, they would have no reason to buy fast food, because they have the money to spend on decent food. And im sure people dont work 7 days a week; I have a revolutionary idea! Do a weekly shop on the day you dont work!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
"The rich" are doing something - where do you think the government gets it`s money from? It comes from income tax, capital gains, corporation tax etc paid by "rich people" and the companies they own.

Have you ever heard of the term tax evasion?
Original post by Blueray2
No. IMF bailed us out because we asked them and because were trying to follow the ERM conditions to join the euro with ridiculous inflation.
Look at the Nordic countries like Sweden, 60% tax but the rich are happy to pay it because their culture is not like yours, ie ignorant and pathetic towards the poor, but they see the benefits of good government spending.

The IMF bailed us out because there was no other choice. And this was 20 years before the euro was even proposed!

And the swedes are ok with their taxes as the average swede actually gets something for their money. Stuff like good schools, excellent public transport, free school meals, excellent roads, clean streets, high state pensions etc. It`s not just thrown at the bottom end of society to the detriment of ordinary working people or used to pay interest on the massive national debt that has been run up in a poor attempt at social engineering.
I wasn`t going to respond as a childish insult wasn`t really worth my time but anyway.

"The rich" paid over £220 billion last year in income, corporation, and capital gains tax. How much more do you think they should pay?

This is going to sound like a 'rich kid' story, but there was this study that shows all income in the 40% tax band, the recipient only receives 33% of it. This means that for every £100 that someone is paid, £67 is taken away in various tax forms.

So yeah I agree.
Original post by Rlove95
Have you ever heard of the term tax evasion?

Yes, it happens a lot when poor people pay their hairdresser in cash, or buy stolen TV`s. How dare they deny the government the income tax, national insurance, and VAT that would have been due!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by the mezzil
Deserts! Why the **** are you buying deserts if you cant even feed yourself properly? Fat ****s.

And then you walk. They are unemployed, they have no time restraints or obligations. If they are employed, they would have no reason to buy fast food, because they have the money to spend on decent food. And im sure people dont work 7 days a week; I have a revolutionary idea! Do a weekly shop on the day you dont work!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, that's a practical solution. Let us send the poor on long walks to carry a week's worth of shopping several miles. I'm sure they're not busy job hunting, and that none of them suffer from disabilities or otherwise can't get to shops a long distance away (let alone get back again, carrying a week worth of bulky canned goods.) Perhaps we can drive past them in our Jaguars and hoot derisively.

Seriously though, this is a well established and researched issue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert and "just walk, lazy gits," isn't a valid solution. I'm a fairly fit single young man, and find carrying a week's worth of food from the nearest supermarket (1.5 miles away) an annoyance. I wouldn't want to carry enough to feed a family, or to have to travel further, or while suffering mobility issues.
Because they then need more money from the system to bail them out when they can`t pay the rent or feed the kids. That money that could be used to help more people who are being responsible and trying to improve their situation. Imagine how you would feel if your cooker breaks and you need a crisis loan to get a new one but you are told theres no money left as it`s been spent paying the rent of someone who chose to spend their JSA at the bookies.

Have you actually got any evidence of this happening or is it just a situation you imagined up?
Yes, it happens a lot when poor people pay their hairdresser in cash, or buy stolen TV`s.

Yeah because poor people are the main perpetrators of tax evasion:rolleyes:
Original post by Rlove95
Have you actually got any evidence of this happening or is it just a situation you imagined up?

From the technical manual: (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-social-fund-technical-guidance/the-social-fund-technical-guidance#budgeting-loans)
[h="4"]"Priorities for Budgeting Loans
[/h]Jobcentre Plus has a fixed amount of money in its Social Fund budget to give out as loans. In order to ensure that this budget is not overspent, there are limits on the maximum amounts of Budgeting Loan allowable for the 3 different personal circumstances. These limits may go up or down depending on how much all Social Fund loan customers are applying for throughout the year. "

HTH
Ah yes, that's a practical solution. Let us send the poor on long walks to carry a week's worth of shopping several miles. I'm sure they're not busy job hunting, and that none of them suffer from disabilities or otherwise can't get to shops a long distance away (let alone get back again, carrying a week worth of bulky canned goods.) Perhaps we can drive past them in our Jaguars and hoot derisively.

Seriously though, this is a well established and researched issue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert and "just walk, lazy gits," isn't a valid solution. I'm a fairly fit single young man, and find carrying a week's worth of food from the nearest supermarket (1.5 miles away) an annoyance. I wouldn't want to carry enough to feed a family, or to have to travel further, or while suffering mobility issues.

N'awwww poor little legs might get a bit tired having to walk a bit far? N'awwwwww.

Guess what people used to do before things called cars were invented? Walk. Its not difficult, its not a punishment so stop being so pathetic. It is also good for ones health, so stop looking for absurd execuses. Im also certain the disabled get more benefits, maybe they could use that extra money for..... home delivery?!?!?! *shock horror*

1.5 miles is not far and should not be an over exergation, if you are a fit young man who is moaning about having to walk that far with a few bags of canned food, thank **** you were not born in the 1920's. In fact you are lucky just to be born at all!

Im fed up with this poncy softy gimme gimme culture in Britain. The state owes you nothing. You are not entitled to a supermarket within a 5 metre distance. Deal with it.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
From the technical manual: (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-social-fund-technical-guidance/the-social-fund-technical-guidance#budgeting-loans)
"Priorities for Budgeting Loans

Jobcentre Plus has a fixed amount of money in its Social Fund budget to give out as loans. In order to ensure that this budget is not overspent, there are limits on the maximum amounts of Budgeting Loan allowable for the 3 different personal circumstances. These limits may go up or down depending on how much all Social Fund loan customers are applying for throughout the year. "

HTH

That is not evidence of someone being denied a 'crisis loan' because someone else spent all their benefit money on JSA's or whatever you said.
Original post by Rlove95
That is not evidence of someone being denied a 'crisis loan' because someone else spent all their benefit money on JSA's or whatever you said.

It was a hypothetical situation. And yes, people are refused budgeting loans frequently because there simply isn`t any more money available.
It was a hypothetical situation. And yes, people are refused budgeting loans frequently because there simply isn`t any more money available.

But do you want to give proof that the money is running out specifically because of people using it frivolously? Because otherwise you haven't really backed up your original point (imagine being denied a legitimate loan after someone else got one because they'd bought cigarettes), you've just demonstrated that the crisis loan pot isn't large enough.
Original post by scrotgrot
There is not and has never been a shred of evidence that this is the case. Go on, I dare you. Try and find me something that's not from the Daily Mail front page, or the Tory front bench, to support this assertion.

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/04/read-professional-couple-forced-to-rely-on-hand-outs-write-open-letter-to-pm-over-rising-food-costs

This story is utterly shocking basically they have sort got charities to pay for their car repairs in my way of thinking.Having a job as an engineer and his wife as an NHS PA they should have been able to save up money to pay for £700 car repairs, alternatively these repairs should have been covered by car insurance and to add to this, cars are not an essential item you can and should buy train or bus tickets to get to work- cars are a commodity, the family should have sold the car.I would prevent families with decent wages from getting any food at food banks and instead they would be given finance appointments, it is absolutely disgusting how people like this are leading people to a false impression that the UK is very poor.

I would also like to add that I among several other people are infuriated at Cameron's benefit cuts targeting the most vulnerable in society but there is no need for rich people to pretend to be poor to ruin statistics.

I also find the 6th largest economy part so funny its as if the papers don't know how economies rank having a large economy doesn't mean that your population will be rich if it is quite large for example China is actually a very poor country but it has 1.3 billion people so it has the 2nd largest economy in the world.The UK is the 19th richest country really on terms of GNI per capita.
(edited 9 years ago)
But do you want to give proof that the money is running out specifically because of people using it frivolously? Because otherwise you haven't really backed up your original point (imagine being denied a legitimate loan after someone else got one because they'd bought cigarettes), you've just demonstrated that the crisis loan pot isn't large enough.

I didn`t say it was running out specifically because of that. But if someone blows their cash down the bookies instead of paying the rent there is nothing stopping them from applying for (and getting) a budgeting loan to pay the rent. Budgeting loans come from a fixed pot of money and when it`s gone - it`s gone. The next person who comes along wanting to borrow to buy a suit for a job interview gets told "sorry none left".

Quick Reply

Latest